• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Probably the wrong place to mention it, but Sarah Walker let herself down badly on Sunday reading out a (?) tweet from someone who'd rushed into the kitchen thinking his washing machine was malfunctioning, only to find it was the castanets in the Boccherini Fandango. Did she really find that funny? Who, amongst R3's grown-up listenership, does she imagine would have done?
    Don’t forget they’re now competing with the numpties at Scala Radio, so the crasser the better.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Roger Quilter
      A Children's Overture Op. 17
      Orchestra: BBC National Orchestra of Wales. Conductor: Rumon Gamba.

M
      If I’d known this was being played, I’d have listened, but they never tell you what they’re going to play. It’s their attempt to control the audience.

I like to play Quilter’s own piano solo version of his Children’ Overture, and there’s a very good piano duet arrangement (not by RQ).

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

'Breakfast' responding with its customary empathy to dreadful news, ending today with Dame Kiri singing one of Canteloube's Chants d'Auvergne - a CD which, as it happens, I've just ordered. Unbelievably sad that even New Zealand cannot escape from the scourge of terrorism.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          'Breakfast' responding with its customary empathy to dreadful news, ending today with Dame Kiri singing one of Canteloube's Chants d'Auvergne - a CD which, as it happens, I've just ordered. Unbelievably sad that even New Zealand cannot escape from the scourge of terrorism.
          Yes, the New Zealand news is another piece of this dreadful world we are now in. Enjoy your Kiri when it arrives - her Canteloube is good as indeed is most of her singing.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Petroc played some Douglas Lilburn too. Perhaps more rootedly NZ than Kiri singing a French folksong arrangement?
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              Petroc played some Douglas Lilburn too. Perhaps more rootedly NZ than Kiri singing a French folksong arrangement?
              I think one composer plus one artiste is a good way of making the point that good things have come out of New Zealand and, especially in KTK's case, that the world has been better for it.
              I don't know how long the team had to choose what to play and amend the running order.

(The Canteloube/Villa-Lobos arrived this morning!)

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

I think one composer plus one artiste is a good way of making the point that good things have come out of New Zealand and, especially in KTK's case, that the world has been better for it.
                I don't know how long the team had to choose what to play and amend the running order.

(The Canteloube/Villa-Lobos arrived this morning!)
                I think I'm right in remembering that Andre Previn was due to be the conductor of that set, but for some reason he was replaced by Jeffrey Tate.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Having switched on Radio 3 this morning, only to suffer Elizabeth Alkan’s more-of-the-same, I yearn for Playschool and other more mature efforts by the BBC.

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    Having switched on Radio 3 this morning, only to suffer Elizabeth Alkan’s more-of-the-same, I yearn for Playschool and other more mature efforts by the BBC.
                    I like her voice.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                      I like her voice.
                      I liked my grandmother’s voice, but in her case, everything that entered her brain didn’t come out of her mouth.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

I liked my grandmother’s voice, but in her case, everything that entered her brain didn’t come out of her mouth.
                        I didn't know that Elizabeth Alker had been replaced by an apparent relative of a lesser-known composer (or have I missed a joke somewhere along the line?)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

I didn't know that Elizabeth Alker had been replaced by an apparent relative of a lesser-known composer (or have I missed a joke somewhere along the line?)
                          No, you haven’t missed any joke, but you may have missed the point.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

No, you haven’t missed any joke, but you may have missed the point.
                            That's entirely possible!
                            I do find EA rather difficult to listen to for any length of time without becoming a bit irritated at her somewhat breathless enthusiasm - I hope nobody will be too offended if I confess that the image that comes to mind is that of an eager puppy standing on its hind legs hoping that I will at least stroke it or (even better) offer it a tasty morsel or two.
                            Like Anton and Caliban, I much prefer, respectively, PT during the week and MH at the weekend.
                            I may have spotted - I hope mistakenly - a possible trend over the last couple of weeks, i.e. the inclusion of a greater number of 'popular classics' that can perhaps be best described as 'lollipops'....

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

I do find EA rather difficult to listen to for any length of time without becoming a bit irritated at her somewhat breathless enthusiasm - I hope nobody will be too offended if I confess that the image that comes to mind is that of an eager puppy standing on its hind legs hoping that I will at least stroke it or (even better) offer it a tasty morsel or two.
                              Like Anton and Caliban, I much prefer, respectively, PT during the week and MH at the weekend.
                              I may have spotted - I hope mistakenly - a possible trend over the last couple of weeks, i.e. the inclusion of a greater number of 'popular classics' that can perhaps be best described as 'lollipops'....
                              Interesting term 'Lollipops' - it was used by Beecham but often he would come up with pieces that were not that well known but he made them into popular pieces!

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

It is my subjective experience that the weekend morning programmes are increasingly being aligned with the weekday ones in terms of content - 'style' possibly to follow? Now, strange as this may seem coming from one who listens to the weekday morning schedule, I don't like this. I want my weekend mornings to be different, not least so that I can tell it is the weekend - strange concept I realise in today's 24/7 culture.
                                I'm not overly keen on EA's rather breathy voice, but it's not stopped me listening yet; that might change though if she continues the drift to Miss Suzy's gushing...

Comment

Working...
                                X