• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    There was a charming TV programme, I think on BBC, devoted to this subject which aired at Christmas 1978.
    Well, Christmas comes round once a year,
    And when it does …
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Don't have to listen to Breakfast to learn all about it from the BBC today. Is this where Petroc got the info - or did he write the news story?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...f-silent-night
      Indeed you don't ff, but for those that do it is perhaps a pleasure to learn something - not everyone knows what "everyone knows......" The format of the morning schedules are anathema to you we know(and I have said many times I consider there are better ways of doing things), but is that any reason for what could come across as a bit of a put-down to #7783?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        The format of the morning schedules are anathema to you we know ... but is that any reason for what could come across as a bit of a put-down to #7783?
        That depends on what one considers "a bit of a put-down", I suppose. LMcD posted his appreciation, ff expressed why others might disagree - if that is understood as "a put-down" (even if only a slight one) then any post disagreeing with the views expressed in another post cand so "come across" - including this very one!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

but is that any reason for what could come across as a bit of a put-down to #7783?
          No indeed, but perhaps it was the phrase 'one of the joys of Breakfast' that hit a sore spot. As a regular listener 20 years ago, I have difficulty thinking of a programme that drew me to R3 that has not been either dropped or spoiled (as far as I'm concerned) because the station has 'redefined its target audience' [sic].

I was trying to think of a good change and could only think of things that are no more - like the lossless audio for the Proms last year. Or CD Masters. Still, must wish everyone a Happy Christmas in a selfless way <eeyore>

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

........ Still, must wish everyone a Happy Christmas in a selfless way <eeyore>

Indeed my very best wishes for the festive season to those who listen to Breakfast and the legions who give it a regretful miss ......

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

...what could come across as a bit of a put-down to #7783?
              I see what you mean here oddoneout, and so does ferney, even if only slightly. It's hard to control the tone of a message, and it's not as easy to read as words.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Indeed my very best wishes for the festive season to those who listen to Breakfast and the legions who give it a regretful miss ......
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  There was a charming TV programme, I think on BBC, devoted to this subject which aired at Christmas 1978.
                  By’eck Richard you have a good memory. I heard it on Radio Cornwall this morning. It was new to me and I found it, if not essential to know, quite interesting.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

No indeed, but perhaps it was the phrase 'one of the joys of Breakfast' that hit a sore spot. As a regular listener 20 years ago, I have difficulty thinking of a programme that drew me to R3 that has not been either dropped or spoiled (as far as I'm concerned) because the station has 'redefined its target audience' [sic].
                    As I've said before I can sympathise with this and also agree. It doesn't apply in your case I believe but I get the same feeling looking at TV schedules these days and I cannot understand how people can apparently enjoy watching much of the output. However I don't think it is for me to pass judgement on the fact that they do get pleasure from it when my gripe is actually with the poor quality of the output itself.
                    Season's Greetings to you also.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                      I see what you mean here oddoneout, and so does ferney, even if only slightly. It's hard to control the tone of a message, and it's not as easy to read as words.
                      So true Padraig. I don't use emoticons but even they don't always help; many's the time I've tried to frame a reply to a post on a forum only to abandon it eventually for want of the nuance that the spoken word brings.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        By’eck Richard you have a good memory. I heard it on Radio Cornwall this morning. It was new to me and I found it, if not essential to know, quite interesting.
                        I just remember where I was at the time, the only Xmas I was there - here's Herr Gruber....

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Don't have to listen to Breakfast to learn all about it from the BBC today. Is this where Petroc got the info - or did he write the news story?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...f-silent-night
                          I know I don't HAVE to listen to 'Breakfast', but I'm grateful that I'm still allowed to do so!
                          The fact that there is more than one joy to be derived from this programme may be confirmed by others who appreciate Petroc's style as well as his introductions and links (not to mention the choice of items, some of which, like the recent barmy, eccentric and totally brilliant celebration of 'Lancashire Day', put a smile on my face for the rest of the day). And surely nobody could better his (or his producer's) choice of words and music in the period around Armistice Day.
                          I'm not sure that it matters whence he obtained the 'Silent Night' story, or whether he wrote it - I'm just pleased that he mentioned it.
                          Joyeux Noel a tous!

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            I know I don't HAVE to listen to 'Breakfast', but I'm grateful that I'm still allowed to do so!
                            That slightly distorts the point I made, which was to say that the bit of interesting information was also on the BBC website this morning, so that it was available elsewhere - which is where I noticed it. As it happened, I came across the headline while I was checking the news, so it wasn't at that moment of enough interest to me to read it

But this does pinpoint what some people like and others aren't interested in; to itemise some of them:

Petroc's style [for which read Martin's style, Georgia's style or anyone else's style]
                            his introductions and links
                            the choice of items - like the recent barmy, eccentric and totally brilliant celebration of 'Lancashire Day'
                            his (or his producer's) choice of words and music in the period around Armistice Day

This is not to criticise or denigrate any of these things, but they aren't what I want from a music programme. If Breakfast is not to be a music programme it doesn't hold enough interest for me to listen (though I think it a little strong to suggest that I anathematize it!), and of course it has expanded its horizons and made the presenters more significant (which is precisely why they get praise or criticism, depending on whether listeners 'appreciate' them or not).

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            Joyeux Noel a tous!
                            And so say we all

Comment

• hmvman
                              • Mar 2007

Well, I'm one of Petroc's '20-minuters' but when he's presenting I usually enjoy those 20 minutes - music, snippets of information and all.

A very Merry Christmas to you all and thank you for your, mostly, entertaining discussions this year!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                As one who partakes of all Martin Handley's Breakfasts but no others, I'll take your greetings gladly nonetheless, and return them!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X