Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Never trust what they say about SACD compatibility (or lack of it) on Amazon sites. I have the individual SACDs and they play perfectly well on CD players. I doubt that anybody makes non-compatible SACDs these days. Click on the back cover image on the amazon site to see the clear statement of CD compatibility to the bottom left of the image.
    Triffic Bryn, many thanks

And thanks too for the money-saving thoughts re holding back on purchase just a while - I was surprised at how pricy it all was, remembering those gorgeous good value boxes of Mozart & Haydn recordings by Brautigam.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

And thanks too for the money-saving thoughts re holding back on purchase just a while - I was surprised at how pricy it all was, remembering those gorgeous good value boxes of Mozart & Haydn recordings by Brautigam.
      I've just written to BIS directly, asking if we will ever see the other keyboard works boxed together as well. I'll post on here when/if I get a reply.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Well they are SACDs with 5.0, and 2.0 high definition options, plus a standard CD layer. Not as cheap to manufacture as CDs. I got most of mine from hmv.com as 'pre-orders' at £9.00 (including p&p) each, so £6.00 is a not unreasonable saving. Individual discs cost between £10.50 and £13.00 (including p&p) these days. If the delays between the issues of the individual Mozart discs and the final boxed set is anything to go by, you have several years to wait for the final Beethoven survey box. No release date for the Diabelli Variatons, etc. as yet.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post
          Couple of new boxes avaiable from a marketplace seller rather cheaply (4 of each left at time of posting).

Nielsen: Complete Symphonies; Aladdin Suite; Maskarade (complete opera), Blomstedt etc (Decca Collectors Edition) - 6cds £7.21 + delivery
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=AO5QLMW9HF3X5 ...
          "we are very sorry to inform you that we were not able to dispatch the
          product (Nielsen: Complete Symphonies; Aladdin Suite; Maskarade (Decca
          Collectors Edit...) you ordered.
          An error occurred due to a delay in our scheduled catalogue updates on
          Amazon which means that the item was still displayed as available and,
          therefore, was still advertised for sale.

"We have tried to get a replacement from our distributors, but unfortunately
          without success at the moment. Of course it could be possible that we
          receive a replacement within the next few minutes, but as we do not want to
          hold you back too long, you will receive a refund via Amazon in case you
          already paid.

"Of course we will offer this item in our portfolio again very soon, but
          unfortunately we cannot guarantee that you will be able to order this item
          at the same price as we will obtain it from a different distributor.

"We sincerely apologise[sic] and hope to welcome you back again as our customer
          in the near future.

"Yours sincerely
          Your GIAG-Team"

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Pity!

I haven't had that message yet.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Pity!

I haven't had that message yet.
              I'm not too put out. I only wanted it for Maskarade. I already have the rest.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

I'm not too put out. I only wanted it for Maskarade. I already have the rest.
                I have Ulf Schirmer's version of Maskarade which I think is included in the set. The set now looks tempting even at a somewhat higher price - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nielsen-Comp...ords=maskarade I shall wait and see how things settle down. I have several other versions of most of the Nielsen symphonies.

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Regarding the Brautigam Beethoven box set, BIS have just kindly replied to me that they will eventually box the whole lot of recordings together, but that there is still quite a while to go before the rest of the cycle is completed. Not sure I can wait that long!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                    Regarding the Brautigam Beethoven box set, BIS have just kindly replied to me that they will eventually box the whole lot of recordings together, but that there is still quite a while to go before the rest of the cycle is completed. Not sure I can wait that long!
                    I was thinking that too MickyD

Where's my Dirty Great Hints to Santa list?
                    Last edited by Guest; 20-08-14, 12:11. Reason: Santa list

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

It will be OK if the miscellaneous keyboard pieces are boxed separately, but infuriating if they end up in a complete box with the sonatas. Decisions, decisions!

Comment

• hafod
                        • Nov 2010

"we are very sorry to inform you that we were not able to dispatch the
                        product (Nielsen: Complete Symphonies; Aladdin Suite; Maskarade (Decca
                        Collectors Edit...) you ordered.
                        An error occurred due to a delay in our scheduled catalogue updates on
                        Amazon which means that the item was still displayed as available and,
                        therefore, was still advertised for sale.

"We have tried to get a replacement from our distributors, but unfortunately
                        without success at the moment. Of course it could be possible that we
                        receive a replacement within the next few minutes, but as we do not want to
                        hold you back too long, you will receive a refund via Amazon in case you
                        already paid.

"Of course we will offer this item in our portfolio again very soon, but
                        unfortunately we cannot guarantee that you will be able to order this item
                        at the same price as we will obtain it from a different distributor.

"We sincerely apologise[sic] and hope to welcome you back again as our customer
                        in the near future.

"Yours sincerely
                        Your GIAG-Team"
                        I have just received notification that two similar boxes I ordered from this seller have now been dispatched at the low prices quoted. I did not post these as I had bought the last copy of each. The Nielsen and Rachmaninov (which I didn't want) remained, so I posted them.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                          It will be OK if the miscellaneous keyboard pieces are boxed separately, but infuriating if they end up in a complete box with the sonatas. Decisions, decisions!
                          ... and BIS can sometimes be infuriating : some will recall the marvellous four boxes of ten CDs each of the Suzuki Bach cantatas - but BIS did not produce similar boxes for the subsequent cantatas, which had to be bought as separate CDs - because by then they were bringing out a Big Box....

I am nursing a feeble hope that BIS will eventually produce a big bargain box of the ongoing CPE Bach keyboard works....

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... and BIS can sometimes be infuriating : some will recall the marvellous four boxes of ten CDs each of the Suzuki Bach cantatas - but BIS did not produce similar boxes for the subsequent cantatas, which had to be bought as separate CDs - because by then they were bringing out a Big Box....

I am nursing a feeble hope that BIS will eventually produce a big bargain box of the ongoing CPE Bach keyboard works....
                            I guess you and MickyD (and I) will have to "invest" in lottery tickets or buy premium bonds. Thanks for reminding me of Suzuki again - I have some, but I "should" get more.

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Yes, me too, Vints...but it will be a huge box if they group the concertos and solo keyboard works together...the latter has already reached Volume 28, as I'm sure you know! But I would splurge my money on it were it to appear, I must confess.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Amazon.it has the Icon Silvestri box for around 10 Euros - http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00A...e_epc__1p_0_ti and the physically large Bernstein Symphony box for around 54 Euros - http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B003...e_epc__1p_6_ti

Comment

Working...
                                X