• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ChrisBennell View Post
    Soler Sonatas for harpsichord Vol 3 - Naxos - Gilbert Rowland - Oxfam £2.99

Already had volume 5.

Have had a soft-spot for Soler since the 80s when R3 had a programme comparing and contrasting Soler and Scarlatti.
    ... I enjoy Soler a lot (tho' he's no Scarlatti... ) ; I have the Rowland set on naxos, wh I found a bit disappointing. You might like to investigate the series with Pieter-Jan Belder on brilliant, which I found much more congenial. Four double-CDs so far - and they're not expensive ...

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Belder complete is newly available. Also cheap download

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        The only recording of it I have (alas) - but it is very, very good. And at 69p (yes, 69p) it would be simply rude not to download it!
        cheaper than a macdonalds super saver. And likely a good deal better for you.

Can't resist that. Cheers Ferney.
        Downloading right now.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          Belder complete is newly available. Also cheap download
          ... how complete is it?

Gilbert Rowland took 13 CDs to cover the harpsichord sonatas - I have a feeling Belder, with 8CDs, may have given up his trajectory mid-way. Somewhere here I have a list of all the Soler works and the performances; I will have to check, but I have a foreboding...

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            .Somewhere here I have a list of all the Soler works and the performances; I will have to check, but I have a foreboding...

... have checked. Still another seventy five or so sonatas not yet recorded / released by Belder.

I note that on the cover of the CD set it proclaims "Keyboard Sonatas" - and on the illustration for the mp3 version it claims "Complete Keyboard sonatas" - a blatant untruth . .

Last edited by vinteuil; 12-06-15, 12:52.

Comment

• hafod
              • Nov 2010

Horowitz - Three Classic Albums (DG) - just £1 from AmazonUk

The magnificent 17cd Ogdon (Icon) box for £13.15.

Comment

• Howdenite
                • Nov 2010

Thanks so much for pointing up the Ogden box. I've been waiting and hoping for a price like this. It says currently out of stock, so here's hoping they honor the price! Fingers crossed...

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                  Horowitz - Three Classic Albums (DG) - just £1 from AmazonUk
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00GT5K7G2/
                  At that price hardly worth adding another £19 worth of stuff to get "free" p&p. Works out around 80p per CD with postage.
                  Last edited by Dave2002; 14-06-15, 09:45.

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Howdenite View Post
                    Thanks so much for pointing up the Ogden box. I've been waiting and hoping for a price like this. It says currently out of stock, so here's hoping they honor the price! Fingers crossed...
                    This box is at number 15 in the classical best sellers list so a number of people have taken advantage of the price which I see is now £22 so the pricing algorithm has clearly kicked in. The 'tempoarily out of stock' moniker is still displayed and my experience is that when this happens the low price is, more often than not, honoured. The exception is usually when the low price has been advertised for a long time (this one I think was only around a day or two) and larger numbers of orders have been placed. (I paid £17 new for my copy from a marketplace seller a month ago and am enjoying it hugely).

So, quietly optimistic.........

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Here's a how d'y do! First, thanks for the tip on the Ogdon ICON set, hafod. Ordered promptly yesterday and told that delivery was due for 25/26 June, revised to 16 June, with a further intimation this afternoon that delivery would now be tomorrow, 15 June, and debited at the original quotation, £13 55!
                      Last edited by Stanley Stewart; 14-06-15, 19:28. Reason: Surname spelling correction

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

My 17CD boxset of the John Ogdon legacy was delivered by Amazon at 10am this morning. "Shine out fair sun..."

Comment

• Mark Meldon

Olivier Messiaen Warner/EMI Box Set

Another bargain from Amazon with the EMI/Warner 14 CD box set at £13.71. My copy arrived this morning. Plenty of interesting recordings and well-reviewed on Music Web International. Best

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Celibidache box sets going cheap at amazon, but you'll need to buy 2 to get free postage.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• hafod
                              • Nov 2010

'Maria Joao Pires - The Complete Erato Recordings' - 17cds: £15.96

Add the Tennstedt Beethoven 6 enthusiastically and convincingly recommended by FHG on another thread (many thanks for that) for free p&p.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                                Add the Tennstedt Beethoven 6 enthusiastically and convincingly recommended by FHG on another thread (many thanks for that) for free p&p.
                                By Petrushka, in fact, hafod. Is anyone else having difficulty finding this release on Amazon? Every combination of "Tenstedt" "Beethoven" "Pastoral" "6" "Klaus" "Live" "Egmont" "LSO" etc keeps taking me either to the studio version (in its many manifestations) or to some expansive recordings with other orchestras.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X