Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

These are quite terrific bargains and I think the recordings have been exceptionally well chosen. I can't express how delighted I am with both Sony sets. I've ordered a couple of extra sets as Christmas presents:

Wagner Great Recordings (40CDs) @ £16.99:

Verdi Great Recordings (30CDs) @ £16.99:

Last edited by Stanfordian; 17-08-16, 16:50.

Comment

• Mark Meldon

Sony SEON box set of 85 CDs only €79.99 at jpc.de + €5.99 delivery. I have often bought from JPC in the past and their service is excellent. It's a fabulous box, set, IMHO.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

this looks like fun.

A huge download with some interesting looking works at under £10

Brilliant Classics Romantic Piano Concertos vol 1.

Just listening to the Roussel which I don't know, sounds rather good.

Also a box set , but a bit more of a punt at £40.

the data may test your patience though, as it has the odd amazon track numbering system.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          this looks like fun.

the data may test your patience though, as it has the odd amazon track numbering system.
          Michael Ponti? I wonder if these are reissues of the old Turnabout bargain LPs from the '70s? Splendid bargain: over 21 hours for under a tenner ... most tempting. Many thanks and s, ts!

PS - oh, it is! - the Dorati/von Alpenheim Franck Symphonic Variations. And the Mayr Piano Concerto that Robert Simpson used in an Innocent Ear programme. If the transfers are any good, this is exceptionally generous value.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

this looks like fun.

So here's the listing from Presto:

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

BEWARE:

this is not the full 40 CD set as advertised.
              It is volume one only, so is in fact, ( I think) an original 20 CD set.

this is a common problem on amazon. I should have done a rough calculation...
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

BEWARE:

this is not the full 40 CD set as advertised.
                It is volume one only, so is in fact, ( I think) an original 20 CD set.

this is a common problem on amazon. I should have done a rough calculation...
                Darn! You're right - the listings in the review on Amazon is of the whole 40CD box. Would a download of 40 CDs (c120 "tracks") overstretch the Amazon wherewithal, mewonders?

Still, £40 for 40CDs is still a bargain! Might wait to see if "Vol2" emerges - £20 for 40CDs-worth is twice as good

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Darn! You're right - the listings in the review on Amazon is of the whole 40CD box. Would a download of 40 CDs (c120 "tracks") overstretch the Amazon wherewithal, mewonders?

Still, £40 for 40CDs is still a bargain! Might wait to see if "Vol2" emerges - £20 for 40CDs-worth is twice as good
                  I have been offered a refund for the £9.59, but they are offering to add the missing tracks.
                  I'll update on what happens.

Update: I said I'd prefer a the missing music, but they are refunding !!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

I have been offered a refund for the £9.59, but they are offering to add the missing tracks.
                    I'll update on what happens.

Update: I said I'd prefer a the missing music, but they are refunding !!
                    Use the call-back facility and tell them you don’t want the refund, but the missing tracks. If you talk to them, they’ll comply.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      Use the call-back facility and tell them you don’t want the refund, but the missing tracks. If you talk to them, they’ll comply.
                      On their " chat" facility they asked me if I wanted a refund or the missing tracks.
                      I said I would prefer the missing tracks, but if not a refund would be fine.
                      they said that in line with my preference they would refund !!

they told me thay had refunded.
                      and then they said the technical team would look at the issue and get back to me. Go figure.

either way, I have had a refund, and hopefully the missing stuff will get added to the download on Amazon.

Still, I'm 20 CDs/worth of downloaded Piano Concertos up.

Bit of a shame though, as there is some interesting stuff in Vol 2.

I'll try call back if I get problems in the future.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Now I'm confused! (More than usual). I have just got my Amazon player going again on my iPad - seems like a new version, and I wondered if I was going to be re-enrolled back into Prime, which I don't want. I was just about to hit Buy on the download, but I came back here and noticed the Warnings.

If I order the CDs will that be the whole set, as listed on the Presto site, or a subset? Is it only the downloads which are (cunningly!) organised into subsets of the whole collection? Hopefully the CDs should sound better, and there should be access to all the MP3s if I've read correctly. £40 +pp for such an unusual collection is not such a bad deal - or £44.42 with the Autorip MP3s..

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Now I'm confused! (More than usual). I have just got my Amazon player going again on my iPad - seems like a new version, and I wondered if I was going to be re-enrolled back into Prime, which I don't want. I was just about to hit Buy on the download, but I came back here and noticed the Warnings.

If I order the CDs will that be the whole set, as listed on the Presto site, or a subset? Is it only the downloads which are (cunningly!) organised into subsets of the whole collection? Hopefully the CDs should sound better, and there should be access to all the MP3s if I've read correctly. £40 +pp for such an unusual collection is not such a bad deal - or £44.42 with the Autorip MP3s..
                          Buy it. If it’s not the full set you’ll get a refund and keep the music files for free. If it’s complete, Bob’s your mother’s...

If it’s not complete you can even argue for the complete thing at the given price, so long as they haven’t changed the listing since teamsaint’s episode.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            If I order the CDs will that be the whole set, as listed on the Presto site, or a subset? Is it only the downloads which are (cunningly!) organised into subsets of the whole collection? Hopefully the CDs should sound better, and there should be access to all the MP3s if I've read correctly. £40 for such an unusual collection is not such a bad deal.
                            I think that the boxed set is all 40 CDs - there is no "Vol1" on the cover, and the back of the box image gives details of 40 CDs (and the Amazon review, from which I got the listing of works and performers, is of the CD set and mentions all 40 CDs).

I'm as puzzled as you (and, from ts' comments, as Amazon itself) as to what might be on the free download that you get when buying the box - it suggests that everything is included; but if this is so, why not offer it in the download-only offer?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              Buy it. If it’s not the full set you’ll get a refund and keep the music files for free. If it’s complete, Bob’s your mother’s...
                              If it’s not complete you can even argue for the complete thing at the given price, so long as they haven’t changed the listing since teamsaint’s episode.

(Though I find it disappointing that you repeat the rumours concerning my mother and her very good friend Robert ... a slur on the reputations of two fine people. My resemblance to him is purely coincidental.)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

(Though I find it disappointing that you repeat the rumours concerning my mother and her very good friend Robert ... a slur on the reputations of two fine people. My resemblance to him is purely coincidental.)
                                Pike!

Comment

Working...
                                X