Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    'When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”

― Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass
    ....and look what happened to HD!

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

This

'When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’
      Is a phrase that "sets my teeth on edge"

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

....and look what happened to HD!
        Isn't that rather the point? Alice is always, for Rev Dodgson, the small, sensible voice of reason.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

The latest one to get up my nose is the use of the word "aspiration" to describe people claimed by the likes of Mandelson to have been let down by a Labour Party too focussed on winning over the poor while slagging off business, ("Why do the media always have to wheel him out when the Party's in trouble?" asked a Geordie commentator, quite reasonably), but also by Chuka Umuna, of whom one had higher expectations.

What "aspiration" is defined as is left hanging, given that it now is a euphemism for middle class; so what became of the "squeezed middle" we were once told about, and its once-driven aspirations?

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            The latest one to get up my nose is the use of the word "aspiration" to describe people claimed by the likes of Mandelson to have been let down by a Labour Party too focussed on winning over the poor while slagging off business, ("Why do the media always have to wheel him out when the Party's in trouble?" asked a Geordie commentator, quite reasonably), but also by Chuka Umuna, of whom one had higher expectations.

What "aspiration" is defined as is left hanging, given that it now is a euphemism for middle class; so what became of the "squeezed middle" we were once told about, and its once-driven aspirations?

What if I "aspire" to have less money, a smaller house and more time to explore the world of obscure musics?

I don't think they mean that?

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I aspire to banish the making plural of nouns which are inherently singular.

But I agree with your sentiments, Gongers. I'd like to give up everything and just go sailing. Now, if only it were not such a damned expensive activity.....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

What if I "aspire" to have less money, a smaller house and more time to explore the world of obscure musics?

I don't think they mean that?
                I worry more and more that they'll take away my old grumpy's travel pass unless I use public transport more, and they catch me out on my bike.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  One of my "aspiratons" (or at least perhaps it should be one) is to have more of a "squeezed middle" (note to self - must exercise more)...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                    • Jun 2014

The latest silly phrase used by progressive, newly-aspiring politicians and political commentators, which now seems to have taken over from 'white, middle-aged, middle-class men in grey suits'.

'Pale, Male & Stale ...'

Well it's mercifully much shorter and it rhymes, I suppose ...

Comment

• visualnickmos
                      • Nov 2010

Iain Duncan Smith

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                        Iain Duncan Smith
                        Talking of him ...' IDS' ... as if we are all supposed to know immediately to whom this refers.

Nothing but smug, clubbish, middle-rank management-speak.

What a wonderful thread to let off a bit of steam! ...

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                          The latest silly phrase used by progressive, newly-aspiring politicians and political commentators, which now seems to have taken over from 'white, middle-aged, middle-class men in grey suits'.

'Pale, Male & Stale ...'

Well it's mercifully much shorter and it rhymes, I suppose ...

What about, "They're beyond the pale, so let justice prevail - they should be in gaol - not out on bail".

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                            What about, "They're beyond the pale, so let justice prevail - they should be in gaol - not out on bail".
                            Is that from a poem by Cardinal Newman by any chance?

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              Is that from a poem by Cardinal Newman by any chance?
                              If it is, the plagiarism was unconscious.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                                If it is, the plagiarism was unconscious.
                                You are ALW and I claim my prize

Comment

Working...
                                X