X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rubbernecker

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    - no, in a previous life, (before Ferneyhough was even a name to me!) I composed some music for a production of the play: scored for a quartet of percussionists and a Flute/Saxophone player, it was closer to Birtwistle's Orestia Music.

An ostrich becomes a stork, (rudely) interrupted, between a stringy Serenade and a Nocturne. What am I going on about?
    Richard Strauss (=Ostrich) Intermezzo - Christine Storch
    Bartok Concerto for Orchestra - Intermezzo Interotto
    Hmm... something between a serenade and a nocturne, sounds as though this could be Mozartian?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      Richard Strauss (=Ostrich) Intermezzo - Christine Storch

Bartok Concerto for Orchestra - Intermezzo Interotto

Hmm... something between a serenade and a nocturne, sounds as though this could be Mozartian?
      No. (More recent.)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• rubbernecker

No. (More recent.)

I'm being a bit slow here... Been up a few blind alleys with Dvorak, Borodin and even Robin Holloway (Don't ask...)

Does the Intermezzo come in between in the composer's canon of work, or as an interlude musically speaking?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Been up a few blind alleys with Dvorak
          Kindly keep your fantasies to yourself, rubbers
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• rubbernecker

Wait a sec...

Shostakovitch String Quartet No. 15 central movement!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Wait a sec...

Shostakovitch String Quartet No. 15 central movement!
              - not, perhaps, very diplomatic pairing Dmitri with a Bartok's of all possible Intermezzo alternatives!

So, a clear run for rubbers:

Intermezzo;
              The Opera by Strauss (German for "ostrich" - and "bunch", which might come in handy later!) in which (like the Domestic Symphony) he makes incidents from his home life the "subject", (changing the family name from"Strauss" to "Storch"; German for "Stork")

Bartok's Intermezzo in his Concerto for Orchestra is rudely interrupted by a tune that some people claim is a parody of the March form the Leningrad Symphony by

Shostakovich, the last of whose 15 string quartets is in 6 slow Movements; the 3rd is called "Serenade", the 5th, "Nocturne" with the 4th movt "Intermezzo".

The Joys of Spring are courtesy of rubbers!

Comment

• rubbernecker

The Joys of Spring are courtesy of rubbers!
                Coincidentally, Joy was exactly what I had in mind Now I'm going to have to think of another J...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Coincidentally, Joy was exactly what I had in mind Now I'm going to have to think of another J...
                  Ooops!

Apologies! I should perhaps have said ...

... ah! Better not!

Comment

• rubbernecker

A J to connect:

- A pop star who never made it to opera star;
                    - A Gallic opera featuring an angelic lullaby;
                    - A violist associated with a Schnitzler reworking.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

A J to connect:

- A pop star who never made it to opera star;
                      - A Gallic opera featuring an angelic lullaby;
                      - A violist associated with a Schnitzler reworking.
                      Jocelyn

- Joss Stone - née Jocelyn Stoker
                      - The famous 'Berceuse' from Godard's opera 'Jocelyn' (transcribed as a trombone solo which I played at school )
                      - Jocelyn Pook (also a violist, with whom I have had correspondence) wrote music for 'Eyes Wide Shut', the Cruise-Kidman film based on Schnitzler's novel 'Traumnovelle'

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Jocelyn

- Joss Stone - née Jocelyn Stoker
                        - The famous 'Berceuse' from Godard's opera 'Jocelyn' (transcribed as a trombone solo which I played at school )
                        - Jocelyn Pook (also a violist, with whom I have had correspondence) wrote music for 'Eyes Wide Shut', the Cruise-Kidman film based on Schnitzler's novel 'Traumnovelle'
                        It is perhaps appropriate that Caliban should solve that particular J, sounding, as it does, peculiarly like an activity of which he is doubtless fond....

AFAIK Ms Stone was not a contestant on From Pop Star to Opera Star, whereas Ms Brown was. Despite her illustrious recording career, she was apparently voted off in the second round.

However, the K is deservedly yours

EDIT: I think we all probably played that Berceuse in one form or another while at school. The sounds of Jocelyn emanated from various parts of the school buildings, as I recall.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

It is perhaps appropriate that Caliban should solve that particular J, sounding, as it does, peculiarly like an activity of which he is doubtless fond....

AFAIK Ms Stone was not a contestant on From Pop Star to Opera Star, whereas Ms Brown was. Despite her illustrious recording career, she was apparently voted off in the second round.

However, the K is deservedly yours
                          Jocelyn Brown? Ah yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jocelyn_Brown

I'd never heard of her. But it is also true that Joss Stone has never been an opera star (using the minuscules that you included in your question).

Jocelyn Pook also wrote the music for a BBC TV drama "In a Land of Plenty" and I was desperate to find the music from the end of one episode. I wrote to her and she very kindly and generously sent me a long reply, with some manuscript and a CD of her cues... (To complete the anecdote, it was a kind person on the old R3 boards who brilliantly identified the piece some time later - Percy Grainger's arrangement of Dowland's "Now oh now we needs must part" )

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            I wrote to her and she very kindly and generously sent me a long reply, with some manuscript and a CD of her cues...
                            Nice one

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Cloughie, you are a clearly complete and certifiable C (by any standards)
                              C for Chorister - you must be Clairvoyant - how could you have known I was singing in concert this afternoon, whilst you gang were working your way very efficiently through the alphabet in my absence - where's Kali's got to with his K?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

EDIT: I think we all probably played that Berceuse in one form or another while at school. The sounds of Jocelyn emanated from various parts of the school buildings, as I recall.
                                You were working on that for some time, weren't you

I'm sure it's too subtle for French Frank's "Guardian of Good Taste" robot to pick up...

A K please to identify someone who (despite being a novelist with legal training) is better known musically as the predecessor of someone more illustrious - magnification and a morning star unite them.

Comment

Working...
                                X