X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

commonwealth comes to Wo3

The first of six months of programmes kicks off with a 'roots of reggae' feature on Mento - they're going to talk to the Jolly Boys though they could have dug out Andy's visit to the Boys from a few years back. There's also a heritage track from Swaziland, so perhaps that'll cover Swaziland. They'll struggle to fit in a feature in those regular times when Wo3 is reduced to 45 mins to make way for Schooby or the like.
    Mary Ann Kennedy with music from Celtic Connections 2014, plus Commonwealth Connections.

Wonder if it'll be on Radio Scotty too.
  • Honoured Guest

Those linked programme details say: "The features will be transmitted around midnight on Friday nights, the centrepiece of Radio 3's world music programme World on 3."

There are exactly 26 Fridays (31 Jan to 25 Jul) before the culminating live concert from Glasgow on Fri 1 Aug, so it's probably safe to assume that all 26 of these features are planned to be broadcast at this time each week.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Midnight.
      That will be to achieve the best audience figures.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

I think 11pm to 1am on one night a week is a lamentable state of affairs as the only programme devoted to world music. But, paradoxically, midnight will suit me personally very well for these features because I often go out to a live evening concert on Fridays and then never feel like listening to World on 3 at 11 because it would disrupt my after-concert mood. However, I'll generally be able to re-emerge from that and prepare to listen properly to these features by 12.

I suppose that many potential World on 3 listeners are out clubbing and so miss the whole thing as broadcast. I noticed recently Lopa specifically advising people listening en route to a good night out to pay particular attention to one track.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
          I suppose that many potential World on 3 listeners are out clubbing and so miss the whole thing as broadcast. I noticed recently Lopa specifically advising people listening en route to a good night out to pay particular attention to one track.
          That's me HonG! Wouldn't want to miss a night on the Forfar tiles. I can taste that Bridie now!

Comment

• Globaltruth
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Oh yes, we're often to be found tripping the light fantastic in the Community Centre at that time on a Friday night. Actually I think Fridays may be dog training night, and are probably worth a visit, although it's when the pigeon-fanciers are in there you really have to watch out. A desperate lot, the pigeon men.

Seriously, are we expected to believe this show is aimed at such a narrow demographic?

To me it looks like, apart from a simple attempt to hook into the Commonwealth Games, this means r3 schedules can tick the 'more World music' box without having to worry too much as to whether it will interfer with their light classical phone-ins demographic.
            Whereas really they are reusing the sole WM slot for, er, a more focussed WM.

Tokenism.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
              They'll struggle to fit in a feature in those regular times when Wo3 is reduced to 45 mins to make way for Schooby or the like.
              BBC Radio 3 clears schedule for Maurice Ravel’s birthday: Friday 7 March

Comment

• Globaltruth
                Host
                • Nov 2010

31 Jan - Commonwealth connections

The Spectator's view on Commonwealth Connections
                Weekly magazine featuring the best British journalists, authors, critics and cartoonists, since 1828

Well, at least she listened to the start of the programme; and she just LOVES the concept. She manages to ignore the paucity of representation of WM on r3 and the gradual reduction in scheduling. Still, totally agree with her comments on Oilrig of course....

And so to the whole show:
                Always good to hear those lively Markovic's, and best to skip over the heartfelt, tuneful but ultimately trite warblings of Karan Casey...and on to the Jolly Boys singing, amongst others, that old World Music classic Re-Hab...preserving Mento for the tourists (their words not mine); and what are we listener except audio tourists, probably of the worst kind? More power to their rhythm boxes though - bringing you Mento since 1945.
                I loved the Walter Strauss & Sadiki Diabate tracks - highly recommended & that was a fascinating & enlightening interview.

I do need a bit of clarification though - as I understand it, Scotland are having a referendum on whether to remain in the Commonwealth or leave and become independent under the rule of their benevolent yet tyrannical dictator, unrecognisable star of Braveheart, Alex the Wise Salmon (he also pops up in Irish legend y'know) - if so, why are they hosting these Commonwealth Games? Have I got this right?

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                  I do need a bit of clarification though - as I understand it, Scotland are having a referendum on whether to remain in the Commonwealth or leave and become independent under the rule of their benevolent yet tyrannical dictator, unrecognisable star of Braveheart, Alex the Wise Salmon (he also pops up in Irish legend y'know) - if so, why are they hosting these Commonwealth Games? Have I got this right?
                  The referendum question is: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" Scotland is currently part of the UK. The SNP wishes an independent Scotland to remain in the Commonwealth, but it may be required to reapply. More importantly, the SNP wishes an independent Scotland to remain within the EU, but it will very likely be required to reapply, which would be a lengthy process lasting several years. If I had a vote in the Scottish independence referendum, it would be this issue of indefinitely leaving the EU which would most disincline me to vote Yes!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                    The referendum question is: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" Scotland is currently part of the UK. The SNP wishes an independent Scotland to remain in the Commonwealth, but it may be required to reapply. More importantly, the SNP wishes an independent Scotland to remain within the EU, but it will very likely be required to reapply, which would be a lengthy process lasting several years. If I had a vote in the Scottish independence referendum, it would be this issue of indefinitely leaving the EU which would most disincline me to vote Yes!
                    As a swing voter on this matter I'd just like to say that the problem with this whole issue is that it's in the hands of the politicians - the question is, sort of, what kind of country do you want Scotland to be?
                    The slimmed down Wee Eck Salmond (now on the 2/5 diet - two days no eatin' pies, 5 eatin' them) has made his position re Her Madge pretty plain - she's still in - so I suppose that makes us Commonwealth - after all Scotty competes in the Games independently just now - don't think that one is contested...yet! No doubt it'll come up after some new scare story - tolls at the Cheviots, single malt embargo at Westminster etc...personally my concern remains that I'm not sure England is ready for Independence.
                    Anyway back to the music I heard some of the programme in the car heading home, but glad I missed out on 'Now that's what I call Mento - the noughties!' - someone bought me the Jolly Boys CD last year with all those kind of tunes - I just remembered preferring AK's visit to them way back when.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                      As a swing voter on this matter I'd just like to say that the problem with this whole issue is that it's in the hands of the politicians - the question is, sort of, what kind of country do you want Scotland to be?
                      The slimmed down Wee Eck Salmond (now on the 2/5 diet - two days no eatin' pies, 5 eatin' them) has made his position re Her Madge pretty plain - she's still in - so I suppose that makes us Commonwealth - after all Scotty competes in the Games independently just now - don't think that one is contested...yet! No doubt it'll come up after some new scare story - tolls at the Cheviots, single malt embargo at Westminster etc...personally my concern remains that I'm not sure England is ready for Independence.
                      Anyway back to the music I heard some of the programme in the car heading home, but glad I missed out on 'Now that's what I call Mento - the noughties!' - someone bought me the Jolly Boys CD last year with all those kind of tunes - I just remembered preferring AK's visit to them way back when.
                      Quite right JC - the music, ...although I am intrigued by these independent Scottish Commonwealth Games - will it be haggis hurling I wonder for example?
                      Anyway we'll keep this quiet corner fiercely independent of the shenanigans too, although (and don't tell the media) I know some of the boys in our village plan to plant a flag on the island in the middle of the mill pond & proclaim ownership.
                      We didn't need a referendum though, just a load of beer, & an old kayak..
                      Last edited by Globaltruth; 03-02-14, 19:11. Reason: Spot on re The Jolly's too

Comment

• Globaltruth
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

There's a blog y'know

Comment

Working...
                        X