X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Honoured Guest
    • Sep 2024

African Music Celebration Weekend 17-19 Jan

This sounds like something to look forward to! Has 6 Music done anything like this before? I know it will have its limitations, but surely parts of it will be worth a listen? Even if it does prove disappointing, it's better than nothing. I suppose the "Friends of Radio 6 Music", if they're anything like the "Friends of Radio 3", will be loudly moaning of the absence of their habitual 80s shoegazing, etc. for a whole weekend ...

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

EDIT - Whoops! My thread head extends the weekend by two days.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-01-14, 21:48. Reason: Whoops!
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Thread title corrected.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
      This sounds like something to look forward to! Has 6 Music done anything like this before? I know it will have its limitations, but surely parts of it will be worth a listen? Even if it does prove disappointing, it's better than nothing. I suppose the "Friends of Radio 6 Music", if they're anything like the "Friends of Radio 3", will be loudly moaning of the absence of their habitual 80s shoegazing, etc. for a whole weekend ...

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

EDIT - Whoops! My thread head extends the weekend by two days.
      Thanks for that, HG - some interesting things in there - I mean 6 Music does play some World music fairly regularly; right enough, only occasionally daytime. But Gideon plays regularly, for example...and they've got Rita Ray on too, and Rokia too. Tom Robinson's programme on Sunday evening was pretty good when he compiled a list of folk music...so perhaps listeners will come up with a few suggestions - I've probably got a few myself.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8PZImiMpgo
      Last edited by johncorrigan; 09-01-14, 22:55. Reason: been playing it all day today!

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

... "Friends of Radio 3", will be loudly moaning of the absence of their habitual 80s shoegazing, etc. for a whole weekend ...

[url]...
        Dear Honoured Guest, do elucidate further
        Last edited by Globaltruth; 10-01-14, 15:14. Reason: that there HG - having a bit of a go by the looks of it. I didn't wear shoes in the 80's did you?

Comment

• Honoured Guest

All I meant was that this celebratory weekend will replace regular programming, or at least shift the balance of content, for one exceptional weekend. Whenever that happens on Radio 3, e.g. when the live Barbican L'enfance du Christ and the annual EBU Day of Christmas Music recently replaced two editions of The Early Music Show, the reaction on this board seems to be a ready lunge to complain about the end of civilisation as we know it, etc.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

All I meant was that this celebratory weekend will replace regular programming, or at least shift the balance of content, for one exceptional weekend. Whenever that happens on Radio 3, e.g. when the live Barbican L'enfance du Christ and the annual EBU Day of Christmas Music recently replaced two editions of The Early Music Show, the reaction on this board seems to be a ready lunge to complain about the end of civilisation as we know it, etc.
            It would have been a gas if R3 had decided to play some African music for the weekend, Hon G - African Jazz, Desert Blues, Ethiopian religious tunes, South African Gospel Choirs, Rokia Traore's Private Passions, Words and Music Africa style - a nice change in the schedules that would be, but I suppose we'll just have to take a bit of the R6 approach.
            Last edited by johncorrigan; 10-01-14, 17:32. Reason: ..that Globaltruth has a hankerin' for some sole music - sock it to me GT!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
              Dear Honoured Guest, do elucidate further
              I think our Honoured Guest is trying a little too hard to express his disapproval of 'this board' (who are they?). Indeed, he expressed his pleasure that the Christmas Day round Europe received a welcome (rather than the numerous 'common gripes'). However, his examples didn't show a very detailed knowledge of Radio 3's schedule changes.

If he were to substitute for the Early Music Show either Jazz Record Requests or World Routes, people who particularly value those programmes might well 'gripe' if they're dropped. But clearly they won't get much sympathy from the opposing faction which is not at all bothered if programmes they don't listen to get the chop.

However, if 6 Music were to have a three-week season of African Music, filling the bulk of every 24-hour day for those three weeks, I think the Friends' griping might be considered justified by some ...
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

I'd distinguish between programmes getting the chop and those just skipping a week or two for occasional alternative broadcasting. Also, if people are truly "not at all bothered if programmes they don't listen to get the chop", that could explain why their views are dismissed when they complain that their personally favoured output is varied or reduced. I hope for a balance of programming over a period of time, and don't expect a national radio station to superserve my own personal tastes at all the times when I most wish to listen.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I hope for a balance of programming over a period of time, and don't expect a national radio station to superserve my own personal tastes at all the times when I most wish to listen.
                  That's fair enough, and I think most people would, in general, agree. But it doesn't necessarily prevent a movement of annoyance when a regular programme that one enjoys is dropped every once in a while (especially if people feel they don't get much of a look-in most of the time). There aren't many outlets for giving one's views on BBC programmes!

Comment

• Globaltruth
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Yeah, a lot of the board is about opinion & personal taste, live it or live with it as they used to say in the 80's...

Shame that this thread, which basically informs us of A Good Thing (few minutes to think about the people of Mali anyone? CAR?) is used for some kind of unconstructive point scoring.

Off to 6 music I go-

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Switched on this morning to a Salif Keita session track and thought that's the way to start a Saturday, then the 6 music Africa spesh returned to the usual indie stuff...I think what they mean is they throw in a track or two along the way. There is a Mali special tomorrow.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Gideon Coe with Rita Ray this afternoon - if the first few tunes are anything to go by I'm in for 3 hours of fine entertainment.often

Excellent Saturday afternoon entertainment - they ought to do it more often.
                        Gideon Coe takes a virtual road trip through the musical heartland of Africa with Rita Ray
                        Last edited by johncorrigan; 18-01-14, 19:02. Reason: Plenty left to look at!

Comment

• Globaltruth
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

This was the programme dedicated to Mali Music:

Gemma Cairney travels to Mali to meet local musicians affected by the recent troubles.

Comment

Working...
                          X