• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Bright Phoebus revisited

Well, not a bad article from the Graun

Jude Rogers: The songs written by Lal and Mike Waterson for Bright Phoebus are being toured by an all-star cast, including Richard Hawley and Jarvis Cocker. Yet the album has still never been properly reissued

But if, like me, you lived in the same place as the Watersons at the time they did this, hated folk music, were stopped in your tracks by the sound of something new, moving and wondrous with some v strong personal resonances then this is a bit more than a cult classic.

We went to the concert last night in the wonderful Art Deco'ness of the Liverpool Philarmonic Hall - I wished I could say the rest of Liverpool was wonderful but the bits we walked around were dark, scabrous, malevolent and decrepit (not the sanitised Cavern Quarter nor the new Tate but the rest - still being punished for Derek Hatton I wondered...)

Anyway the concert was superb, - to do justice to an album (we have a vinyl copy that plays) that has been a friend and companion for over 40 years is quite a challenge - people have aged, their voices have changed but the spirit remains strong. Replacement musicians have been found - they all turned out to be super-subs; I had no idea who Richard Hawley or John Smith were, but their performances were outstanding. Clearly they loved the music as much as us. They delivered, reducing us and some of the other performers to tears at times - but isn't that what music is meant to do from time to time? And they may have been tears of joy mixed with tears for times lost.

the place was half full.
    Why? They are only performing this twice more, tonight in Brighton, tomorrow in Bristol.
    Please do try and go, it is as close to magic as you can get in the world of music - even if you know nothing about this album, care little for what is incorrectly categorised as 'folk music', try and go.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

hear here
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Thanks Global - I read the article on Friday and intended to follow it up. I followed the beautiful 'Scarecrow' - first time I'd heard it - with the other 9 tracks that I could see available. I'll be going back for another few listens. It is rather sad that the record ownership seems tied in a knot. Glad you and Mrs GT got to Liverpool - sounds like you had a blast.

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        Thanks Global - I read the article on Friday and intended to follow it up. I followed the beautiful 'Scarecrow' - first time I'd heard it - with the other 9 tracks that I could see available. I'll be going back for another few listens. It is rather sad that the record ownership seems tied in a knot. Glad you and Mrs GT got to Liverpool - sounds like you had a blast.
        Yes, we did and, in a slight digression, but in the interest of fairly reporting impressions of Liverpool, I can particularly recommend the Walker Gallery - a small, friendly place with some wonderful works...playing some fine music.
        Whilst not being a huge fan of vintage gowns I am always interested in social history - and there is a fascinating story behind the gowns if you stop for a moment to wonder about Mrs Tinne's life and how it affected those around her:
        More than 70 outfits were on display in this major exhibition, which explored shopping and style in Liverpool during the interwar years. 'An English lady’s wardrobe' offered new insight into Liverpool’s wealthy Tinne family, showcasing clothing and accessories purchased by Mrs Emily Margaret Tinne (1886-1966).

the icing on the cake was those great tracks in there...including this one,
        Please Remember To Subscribe To This Channel And Thanks For Listening!Please Remember To Subscribe To This Channel And Thanks For Listening!MY NEW WEBSITE: h...

which always reminds me of this clip
        'Pennies From Heaven' by Dennis Potter. Episode 3: 'Easy Come Easy Go'. Partly driven out, partly snatching at the prospect of something new, Eileen (Cheryl ...

[admire how I cleverly made this relevant to a BBC oriented forum...bonus points from FF I shouldn't wonder]

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Another review this time by Robin Denselow:

An impressive cast made an emotional and long-overdue return to the cult 1972 album Bright Phoebus, writes Robin Denselow

Some photos:
          PhotoShelter is the industry standard for online archiving, distribution and sales for the independent photographer

There's some debates going on about some of the track names being reported quoted accurately (e.h. Evona Darling or is it Yvonne Our Darling? Red Wine and Promises or is it Red Wine Promises etc...) which we anoraks should learn don't matter - it's the power of the music that comes through.
          I'm not sure I'd agree with Mr Denselow's description of the track 'Child among the weeds' as surreal though - Lal gave birth to twins, one of whom died when born, the other, Oliver Knight, survived. That's what the song is about.
          Last edited by Globaltruth; 16-10-13, 15:28.

Comment

Working...
          X