• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Sean-nós song

Thought we may try and tempt Padraig over here on a more regular basis by dedicating a thread to Sean-nós song...

Here's a recent concert:

which provided further links, for example, the Lomax archive, which must contain some gems. Not just Sean-nós
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Gt, thank you for the special treatment.
    If I were on top of this area of music I would indeed be worth recruiting. As it is, I get more out of visiting here than I bring with me.
    I'm in learning mode. I neglected my Irish music for too long, and am now trying to make up some of the lost time, both in language and in music. Even now I am not dedicated enough to the tasks. My latest venture is to sign up for a tin whistle course. I enclose some info on that - it's in Irish AND English, so don't panic.

Oops! Have to try that again.

Second attempt

Failed again. sorry
    Last edited by Padraig; 15-09-13, 15:15. Reason: not satisfactory link

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

The gist of the failed communication concerned events at the local Irish culture centre, where I go for my music and language learning secssions. It is also a social centre and has some interesting concerts and talks to offer. In October Iarla O Lionard and Steve Cooney are coming, so I'm getting my unexpected opportunity to hear him live.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Words

Last edited by Padraig; 15-09-13, 15:47. Reason: adding link for poem

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Well, what does anyone know of this feller?
        Josie Sheáin Jeaic Mac Donncha ag Féile Chomortha Joe Éinniú, 2011Josie Sheáin Jeaic Mac Donncha at The Joe Heaney Commemorative Festival, 2011

I can't get over to Cork for that festival, if that is the one you're talking about?

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

It's hard to get round that style of singing, ain't it Gt? Hard to listen to as well at times!
          I think the whistle is safer. First lesson tonight - I was put up a class to level 2 - am to learn The South Wind and Down by the Sally Gardens by ear for next week.

We get to hear Iarla before he goes to Cork, but yes it's the same programme he's doing.

Comment

• Globaltruth
            Host
            • Nov 2010

I'm glad you said that Padraig - I found it quite a worthy piece.
            However I was reading about Sean Nos and it seems that their is a tradition of the singer having to be encouraged to sing, of him (was it invariably a male domain? need to research more) appearing/actually being reluctant. Then, when he did sing, sometimes he would face the corner of the room rather than look at audience; I wonder if this was for acoustic effect or simply part of the reticence. At times, members of the audience would themselves be so moved by emotion that they would get up and go and hold the singer's hand. I wondered if you had ever seen or experienced such events? I also wondered if they still happened? I somehow expect so; actually I hope so - such a vast difference from the performing style of just about every other musical performer...

Congratulations on your rapid promotion - I look forward to your YouTube version going viral...

Here's another version of that W B Yeats poem, a historic recording from the 40th anniversary of Leo's Tavern, with some whistle to inspire you.
            We weren't there, but were at Leo's last year...

Clannad live in Leo's Tavern on the unforgetable night of Saturday 20 September 2008

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

In my days as an angler I was often in the West in pursuit of large trout. Naturally we would repair to various hostelries in pursuit of the perfect pint. Is that not a youthful summary of what it's all about?
              There was one place which gave over Wednesday nights to music and dancing - West of Ireland style. There was set dancing of the old style, Martin and friends supplied the music, and people 'came up' and did their thing. On one occasion two Germans sang and played Schubert's The Trout to great acclaim, and with great skill,
              But one night the singer in your description made his appearance. He did not 'come up', but stayed in his seat at the bar, turned away, put the hand to his ear and away he went. It was in Irish, of course, so I hadn't a clue what it was about, but with the passage of time and some listening behind me I think it was a version of Roisin Dubh that he sang. He had a good voice, kept the tune, and hid his light well under the bushel.
              I'm learning like yourself, Gt, but I think Sean Nos is not the territory of male singers only. Have a look at the work of Roisin Elsafty. I've played this one before some time ago:

For the poem, I can only find this:

Eleanór a Rún sung by Róisín El Safty at the Willie Clancy Summer School, Miltown Malbay. The love song Eleanor a Run (Eleanor my secret love) is unusual in...
              Last edited by Padraig; 18-09-13, 15:40. Reason: bum link first time. new link below

Comment

• Globaltruth
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Hey Padraig you're speaking with a fellow brother of the angle here.
                It's led me to some fine times too, both in Eire & elsewhere.
                In fact now live about 300 yards from one of my favourite rivers - and listening to that is one of the finest songs there is; different every day.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                  Well, what does anyone know of this feller?
                  Josie Sheáin Jeaic Mac Donncha ag Féile Chomortha Joe Éinniú, 2011Josie Sheáin Jeaic Mac Donncha at The Joe Heaney Commemorative Festival, 2011

[/URL]
                  My apologies Global...I missed this link...he's the sean nos singer I was fortunate enough to see sing in Iona Abbey in the summer on the day of Mr Higgins' visit to the island...felt like I was transported to an ancient time. Thanks for the vid.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    My apologies Global...I missed this link...he's the sean nos singer I was fortunate enough to see sing in Iona Abbey in the summer on the day of Mr Higgins' visit to the island...felt like I was transported to an ancient time. Thanks for the vid.
                    Whoa ... Now where's my quote about shamanistic society & synchronicity when I need it?

Comment

Working...
                    X