X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1
    • Sep 2024

Ravi Shankar R.I.P

Sitar player Ravi Shankar, who popularised Indian music around the world, dies in hospital in the United States at the age of 92.

• johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

He opened so many doors to music, allowing us to embrace the unfamiliar and musicians from this country and beyond to play the unfamiliar - Ravi Shankar's death is a terribly sad loss to civilisation.
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 12-12-12, 11:05.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      He opened so many doors to music, allowing us to embarce the unfamiliar and musicians from this country and beyond to play the unfamiliar - Ravi Shankar's death is a terribly sad loss to civilisation.
      seconded

a very sad loss indeed

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        He opened so many doors to music, allowing us to embarce the unfamiliar and musicians from this country and beyond to play the unfamiliar - Ravi Shankar's death is a terribly sad loss to civilisation.
        That's what he means to me too.
        Thirded.

RIP
        Ravi Shankar

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

He influenced John Coltrane and Joe Harriott, not just George Harrison and The Doors.

Just thought I'd mention that, of course.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            He influenced John Coltrane and Joe Harriott, not just George Harrison and The Doors.

Just thought I'd mention that, of course.
            I know these things are true
            but it annoyed me a little that his musicianship was described (on R4 this morning at least !) only in terms of how it influenced Songwriters as if THAT is what music entirely consists of !

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              I know these things are true
              but it annoyed me a little that his musicianship was described (on R4 this morning at least !) only in terms of how it influenced Songwriters as if THAT is what music entirely consists of !
              Exactly when I had in mind, MrGG

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Yes, I was sorry to hear the news too. Extraordinary to think that he outlived both his parents by three quarters of a century. A vote for vegetarianism perhaps or living in California. My preferred Beatle was George Harrison so I am bound to think of him in those terms. And I am as inclined to consider the Concert for Bangladesh as I am of any earlier work. It is difficult in some ways to believe that there were only 14 years between that event and the somehow much showier Live Aid. His loss is another distancing too from Woodstock which, for all of the criticism that could be made of it, will always be highly symbolic in so many ways for me.

Classical music, jazz music, world music long before the term 'world music' was introduced....tributes to him could be on every part of this forum. He will also, I think, always be something of an answer to purists. An example to bring forward when resisting the suggestion that fusion, or any other word for it, is automatically a bad idea. A problem I have is in his ongoing tokenism. That wasn't his fault but given his depths, ability and high profile, he should really have been an introduction to many of a vast realm of music that is steeped in history. As things stand, I am not alone in finding orientation around Indian music among the most difficult.

Comment

• Boilk
                  • Dec 2010

It wasn't Shankar's style of playing in particular that influenced these musicians, it was the sheer revelatory experience of hearing Indian music and its flexible forms, still relatively unknown in the West during the 50s and early 60s ...and of course Shankar was the lauded ambassador as a result of him getting a recording contract with EMI, and later through his association with the Beatles.

As for the exaggerated plaudits elsewhere on this thread (and globally) that he was effectively the harbinger of World Music - complete nonsense methinks. People ahead of him in the queue (looking Eastwards) were - to name but three - Henry Cowell, Alan Hovhaness and perhaps John Cage. And wasn't Messiaen using Indian rhythmic concepts in the 1940s?
                  Last edited by Boilk; 12-12-12, 14:35.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                    It wasn't Shankar's style of playing in particular that influenced these musicians, it was the sheer revelatory experience of hearing Indian music and its flexible forms, still relatively unknown in the West during the 50s and early 60s ...and of course Shankar was the lauded ambassador as a result of him getting a recording contract with EMI, and later through his association with the Beatles.
                    . However...

As for the exaggerated plaudits elsewhere on this thread (and globally) that he was effectively the harbinger of World Music - complete nonsense methinks. People ahead of him in the queue (looking Eastwards) were - to name but three - Henry Cowell, Alan Hovhaness and perhaps John Cage. And wasn't Messiaen using Indian rhythmic concepts in the 1940s?
                    ... is I think to stretch the concept of World Music a tad far.

Maybe time for a discussion on defining what people mean by "World Music"?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Maybe time for a discussion on defining what people mean by "World Music"?

It's going to be a long night my friends ............

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

It's going to be a long night my friends ............
                        No, wait ... I hear footsteps approaching and Scots voice raised in protest ... what's that scottycelt? ... it's all common sense?!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Charlie Gillett was happy enough with my essay on the subject.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

back to Shankar eh

one of many virtuosi who flipped a lot of wigs in the sixties with Indian Classical Music .... the beatles got there as well, it was on the 'scene' in lunnun ....
                            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Pikaia

Three musicians in one week! Imagine the celestial jam session - Shankar on sitar, Brubeck on piano, and Moore on xylophone!

Comment

Working...
                              X