X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

I've just quietly hummed it - I reckon I could do the range but starting ludicrously low (almost Lee Marvin) and continuing with it very, very badly.

Is there a world music version?
    Dunno, Lat. I remember when Harris' version was the 'Tony Blackburn Show Record of the Week'. I love Donna Summer's version, too.
    DONNA SUMMER: This is the original 1978 Casablanca Records promo film/music video for Donna Summer's single "MacArthur Park." It was filmed live at the Sahar...

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      Dunno, Lat. I remember when Harris' version was the 'Tony Blackburn Show Record of the Week'. I love Donna Summer's version, too.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uKEu82PRLo
      Donna's version is so full on - it's wonderful - the arrangement is spot on particularly as part of the MacArthur Park Suite on the Dance Collection album.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uKEu82PRLo
        Yes, indeed. Donna Summer is an awkward one. I think her high point was the quite superb version of "State of Independence" and her low point was that dreadful collaboration with Streisand which didn't do either of them any favours. There is a lot of duff stuff. With hindsight she excelled with the electronic people - Vangelis and, of course, Moroder. I have spotted a Waylon Jennings MacArthur and a lot of brass bands but nothing, say, African. It has to be said that is hardly a surprise. Hosts may not be pleased with two Donnas but somewhere between Sandinista and Graceland this could seem almost like World Music to me. I'd have segued it with Temple Head had that happened in the time of my Mini van.

Donna Summer - State of Independence - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53_GbIsQDx0

Transglobal Underground - Temple Head - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuRB45kre3Y

(I heard the other day that the woman presenter who so kindly provided me with the title of the latter on the BBC Forum - genuinely - is now 77 and still, brilliantly, on national radio)
        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 01-10-17, 22:13.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Yes the range is such 2 octaves plus 1/3 - I could do it just transposing down the original by 1/5. F to Ab.
          Presumably his Susie is the same one in Where's the Playground....'
          Thank you cloughie for your further question concerning Jimmy Webb.

I am sorry for the delay in my reply.

I think the answer is yes.

Unfortunately, I can only comment with authority on the link with another song:

Quote: "And I remember that that was also when I wrote 'By the Time I Get to Phoenix' because this affair was winding down to a kind of dreary close, and I was thinking, 'Well, I'll just go back to Oklahoma,' and so I wrote 'By the Time I Get to Phoenix.' Of course, I never even got in the car and turned on the engine to go back to Oklahoma. But it's related to 'MacArthur Park' in that sense. It comes from the same period when I was experiencing things and pretty much transferring them immediately into music."

Fair enough - he can say that as his name is on it - but I believe I found the original notes around the time that I was considering a few ideas for what was to become Sgt Pepper.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
            Yes, indeed. Donna Summer is an awkward one. I think her high point was the quite superb version of "State of Independence" and her low point was that dreadful collaboration with Streisand which didn't do either of them any favours. There is a lot of duff stuff. With hindsight she excelled with the electronic people - Vangelis and, of course, Moroder. I have spotted a Waylon Jennings MacArthur and a lot of brass bands but nothing, say, African. It has to be said that is hardly a surprise. Hosts may not be pleased with two Donnas but somewhere between Sandinista and Graceland this could seem almost like World Music to me. I'd have segued it with Temple Head had that happened in the time of my Mini van.

Donna Summer - State of Independence - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53_GbIsQDx0

Transglobal Underground - Temple Head - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuRB45kre3Y

(I heard the other day that the woman presenter who so kindly provided me with the title of the latter on the BBC Forum - genuinely - is now 77 and still, brilliantly, on national radio)
            I quite like 'Enough is Enough' the down side for Donna is that however good a voice you think she has pales at the side of Barbra.
            ...and I think he used some of the same music in Phoenix and MacArthur as when singing one it can morph into the other. Whatever he was along with Randy Newman, James Taylor and Don McLean one of a number of really good male songwriters of the late 60s/early70s.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              I quite like 'Enough is Enough' the down side for Donna is that however good a voice you think she has pales at the side of Barbra.
              I can support Barbra, yes; an exceptional purity at her best.

My mother's song about her mother is Streisand's version of "One Less Bell To Answer/A House Is Not a Home" and it is probably the Inheritance Track I have inherited or may do.

As for the one I would pass on to people of meaning in the round, I really don't know.

But it wouldn't be Arsenal's version of "Hot Stuff".
              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 01-10-17, 23:06.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Joe Boyd's in visiting Cerys this morning and there's lots of Albanian music about Saz'iso, the South Albanian song project he's been involved in. Unfortunately a couple of the band were stuck in transit but the music sounds so great.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

That there Paul Sherratt, formerly of these parts, got a very fine track played on Cerys this morning. Boquita Azucarada by Trio Hermanas Marquez. Good to hear and good to hear of him.
                  Trio de las Hermanas Marquez, otro trio Cubano de los anos 40s interpretando Boquita Azucarada.All music or related performances remain the sole property of ...

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Great interview with writer and photographer, Val Wilmer, on Cerys this morning. Val finished with this wonderful bit of gospel, penned and performed by the great Dorothy Love Coates - Strange Man - epic!
                    This song Mrs. Coates wrote from the bible story of the Samarian woman who met Jesus at the well. Mrs. Coates is playing the piano and her daughter Carletta ...

Val's interview from Sunday Feature a few weeks ago is still available...http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09tcdx9

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Dr Duran's on this morning with Trio Da Kali...more of Lucy's dulcet tones on Radio 3, please!! Trio Da Kali fantastic too...what a treat!
                      Last edited by johncorrigan; 20-05-18, 11:49.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                        • Aug 2015

Dr Duran's on this morning with Trio Da Kali...more of Lucy's dulcet tones on Radio 3, please!! Trio Da Kali fantastic too...what a treat!
                        Yes - I will find it on I-Player.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Yes, they could perhaps give her a show?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                            Yes, they could perhaps give her a show?
                            You mean instead of taking one away from her, Global? Lucy D did that thing where she was translating back and forward in French for Cerys and then slipped effortlessly into Hawa Kasse Mady's home language too...awesome!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Just in case you didn't notice, Van Morrison skipped the Sunday carvery* and popped in to see Cerys on Sunday. You can find it just after the half ten news.
                              Van Morrison joins Cerys to talk about his career, and new album The Prophet Speaks.

...the show also contained a track by Van's Mum, Violet.

* I only mention this because a Belfast Cabbie told me that's what Van did on a Sunday!

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Just in case you didn't notice, Van Morrison skipped the Sunday carvery* and popped in to see Cerys on Sunday. You can find it just after the half ten news.
                                Van Morrison joins Cerys to talk about his career, and new album The Prophet Speaks.

...the show also contained a track by Van's Mum, Violet.

* I only mention this because a Belfast Cabbie told me that's what Van did on a Sunday!
                                Thanks for that jc, I’ll think on and have a listen. Van’s last few CDs are really good - his gruff voice combining with some great musicians, not least Joey the keyboards guy!

Comment

Working...
                                X