• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Cerys had Dylan Thomas' granddaughter on this morning celebrating his centenary year. Played this 'Under Dub Wood' by the Dub Allstars...wonderful!
    https://soundcloud.com/caughtbytheriver/under-dubwood
    Great JC - thanks; wouldnt have missed this track.
    And I think both DT & RB would have liked it too....

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      Great JC - thanks; wouldnt have missed this track.
      And I think both DT & RB would have liked it too....
      Nice mugshot there Global. By the way Cerys has a rad2 show on for four weeks - last week she did one about Paul Simon and in the process gave us Mulatu and Boyoyo and Clifton and Larry Adler. This week it's Johnny Cash she's searching out and among others the listener is promised Snooks, Reverend Al and Triakel.
      A fun, musical journey crossing the world through influences, connections and coincidences

...and you get out just in time for Max and Richard Thompson.
      Last edited by johncorrigan; 10-09-14, 21:03. Reason: A fine Wed evening ahead!

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Great to hear the good Doctor Duran again on Cerys this morning introducing a live set from the wonderful Kasse Mady Diabate. What a treat for a Sunday to hear Lucy - makes you realise how much World Routes is missed from R3.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

A dandy live Cuban/ Malian session by Roberto Fonseca and Fatoumata Diawara on Sunday's Cerys. Bit too much chat - could have done with another tune from these two fine musicians especially given the quality of the two they played.
          Taken from «At Home» - Fatoumata Diawara & Roberto Fonseca NEW EP // Released on Jazz Village // Out April 2015****************************************­­****...

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Cerys has Joe Boyd in with her this morning - always worth a listen when Mr Boyd is around, in my opinion. Among other things he'll be talking about a musical sojourn to Albania and playing some obscure vinyl from there, apparently.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Cerys has Joe Boyd in with her this morning - always worth a listen when Mr Boyd is around, in my opinion. Among other things he'll be talking about a musical sojourn to Albania and playing some obscure vinyl from there, apparently.
              There was only one Albanian track during Joe Boyd's hour with Cerys but a mighty fine one it was. As well as that there was Aretha at her mighty best, Jim Hendrix recorded in an unguarded moment, Fotheringay, a glorious bit of Toots and of course some Nick Drake. And we got some fine tales along the way from a guy who, as well as having been involved with those mentioned has worked with the McGarrigles, Toumani Diabate, the Floyd and Fairport's glorious 'Liege and Lief'. If ever a guy deserved an award for services to music it's Mr Joe Boyd, in my opinion. If you fancy a listen he's from 30 minutes in to Cerys for an hour on Sunday - always good value.
              Record producer, writer and UFO club founder Joe Boyd joins Cerys to talk about his career

He was also punting a new podcast he's creating weekly using his record collection as the basis, and doing a different letter every week - 'Joe Boyd's A-Z'; week 1 is about Ain't Misbehavin'. ( I found it most enjoyable and interesting)

Here's the trailer for the podcasts.
              Last edited by johncorrigan; 18-08-15, 19:50. Reason: laptop playing hell with me.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

There was only one Albanian track during Joe Boyd's hour with Cerys but a mighty fine one it was. As well as that there was Aretha at her mighty best, Jim Hendrix recorded in an unguarded moment, Fotheringay, a glorious bit of Toots and of course some Nick Drake. And we got some fine tales along the way from a guy who, as well as having been involved with those mentioned has worked with the McGarrigles, Toumani Diabate, the Floyd and Fairport's glorious 'Liege and Lief'. If ever a guy deserved an award for services to music it's Mr Joe Boyd, in my opinion. If you fancy a listen he's from 30 minutes in to Cerys for an hour on Sunday - always good value.
                Record producer, writer and UFO club founder Joe Boyd joins Cerys to talk about his career

He was also punting a new podcast he's creating weekly using his record collection as the basis, and doing a different letter every week - 'Joe Boyd's A-Z'; week 1 is about Ain't Misbehavin'. ( I found it most enjoyable and interesting)

Here's the trailer for the podcasts.
                http://www.acast.com/boydaz/joeboydsa-ztrailer
                Thanks John. That sounds very interesting. I will listen. I like some Albanian music a lot. Who is that guy who we had on the Spotify lists? There is a clip of him somewhere but I always forget his name. Let's see if we can find it again.

....found him, it's Laver Bariu - it is at the crossover of folk and jazz, I guess.

This is a new clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrVzW3wBsaQ

Last edited by Lat-Literal; 18-08-15, 20:27.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Jazz bassist Marcus Miller's on Cerys on 6 Music this morning talking about the making of his record 'Afrodeezia', Gorée in Senegal, Highlife, Miles among other things. Very interesting guest.
                  Cerys welcomes jazz bassist Marcus Miller and singer-songwriter Frazey Ford to the studio.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

I mentioned Cerys' programme on World Service elsewhere. This month she's interviewing Joe Boyd. I haven't heard it yet - going to try to listen on WS this evening on the transistor radio. Next month she's talking to Baaba Maal about his influences, music he grew up listening to, and, no doubt, the new record. However, while we await that one she's got Cameroonian delight Blick Bassy in the studio for next Sunday morning's programme.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

The Skip James inspired Cameroonian Blick Bassy guitarist is on Cerys after 11 this morning.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                        • Aug 2015

Many thanks for the tips, JC.

I need to start listening to Cerys again regularly.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Steve Berkowitz, Jeff Buckley's friend and producer is on Cerys this morning before 'You and I' comes out later in the month. This interview is very interesting indeed, and Buckley's version of Bukka White's 'Poor Boy that was played just after the 10.30 news was really great. And there's a bit of Nusrat of course though Cerys only ever plays Mustt Mustt. This forthcoming Buckley record apparently covers very early recordings.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Steve Berkowitz, Jeff Buckley's friend and producer is on Cerys this morning before 'You and I' comes out later in the month. This interview is very interesting indeed, and Buckley's version of Bukka White's 'Poor Boy that was played just after the 10.30 news was really great. And there's a bit of Nusrat of course though Cerys only ever plays Mustt Mustt. This forthcoming Buckley record apparently covers very early recordings.
                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b072w55f
                            Cerys on 6 is the new Wo3

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                              • Aug 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b072w55f
                              Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                              Cerys on 6 is the new Wo3
                              I now have several excellent radio programmes to listen to, including this one. Anyone might have thought this was a radio forum rather than Friends of YT. Anyway, as Cerys plays rock n roll, blues etc as well as WM, here's my quiz of the week. Can we please have a song or tune in any genre released prior to 1980 that has the title - or a partial lyric - Something, Someone's Name, Ooh". It's the positioning of the "ooh" that matters. Smokey Robinson's "Ooh Baby Baby" doesn't count, wonderful though that record happens to be.

Thanks!

1980-1981 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yFZJlcLHFE

1985-1986 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmiKqRlfX00

(The second has the "ooh" both as a prefix and a suffix - there must be a blues or r n r precedent!)

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                                I now have several excellent radio programmes to listen to, including this one. Anyone might have thought this was a radio forum rather than Friends of YT. Anyway, as Cerys plays rock n roll, blues etc as well as WM, here's my quiz of the week. Can we please have a song or tune in any genre released prior to 1980 that has the title - or a partial lyric - Something, Someone's Name, Ooh". It's the positioning of the "ooh" that matters. Smokey Robinson's "Ooh Baby Baby" doesn't count, wonderful though that record happens to be.

Thanks!

1980-1981 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yFZJlcLHFE

1985-1986 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmiKqRlfX00

(The second has the "ooh" both as a prefix and a suffix - there must be a blues or r n r precedent!)
                                Does 'Ooh Mama Ooh' by Moby Grape count - 60s San Fran outfit, Lat. Personally my favourite use of 'ooh' (maybe it's ohhhh) at the moment and apologies for my continued present fascination with 'Car Wheels on a Gravel Road' is in 'Right in Time' by LW.

Comment

Working...
                                X