Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

I see Gregory Porter's on live with Cerys this morning.

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      I see Gregory Porter's on live with Cerys this morning.
      Yep, he was. Course, I thought the African weekend was this weekend so listened to the show expecting something quite different....but it was perfectly good Sunday lstening, and I still like what she does with that show. Give her an episode of Late Junction I say....

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
        Yep, he was. Course, I thought the African weekend was this weekend so listened to the show expecting something quite different....but it was perfectly good Sunday lstening, and I still like what she does with that show. Give her an episode of Late Junction I say....
        She still plays some fine stuff but I think 3 hours is too long for her...she runs out of steam after a couple of hours...no stamina these youngsters...she might doze off behind the LJ ones and twos on late night 3.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

She's got some guy on playing old shellac 78s - nice, but it sent me to this old R Crumb R3 4 part series which was just fascinating and had Mr C playing stuff from his collection.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Ian Anderson has been on this morning choosing a few tunes and celebrating 35 years of fRoots; among the tunes a great bit of Mississippi Fred McDowell doing 'Shake 'em on Down'. Here's a fine clip of it.
            McDowell performing the classic north Mississippi hill country song "Shake 'Em On Down".

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Sahrawi singer Aziza Brahim did a beautiful session on Sunday's show - a couple of hard hitting songs. She was accompanied by a representative from the Sandblast charity who keep the situation of the Sahrawi people in the news and promote music in the refugee camp.
              Augustus Pablo's son was on too...sounds not unlike his dad. Plenty good stuff as usual.
              Cerys Matthews is joined in the studio by Addis Pablo and Aziza Brahim is in session.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Cerys is on a good run at the moment; this morning she's interviewing Allen Toussaint and she also has Debashish Bhattacharya playing his slide in session...and I assume the usual fine mix of tunes.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Jody Gillett is on this morning as Cerys, with her freshly minted award from HM, takes a tour round South America - I assume Jody is a relative of Charlie.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

We can change the title of the thread to the Right Honourable Dame Cerys OBE,CBE, MBE, justBE, Ambassador of Musical Merit if you like JC?

Not sure this crown sits easy on her head though...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Shouldn't we ask Lat, first?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Just caught up with last week's Cerys and she had Holly Elson who is directing a film about Moondog...here's a link to a trailer. No idea when it might appear.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Cerys has Mulatu Astake in the studio for a spot of chat and tunes for the Sunday morning mix. Grand bit of jazz from Hailey Tuck on right now doing Bob's 'Don't Think Twice'.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

I'll certainly Listen Again to that - thanks JC.
                            On another Cerys related theme - my 8yr old grand daughter has just passed Grade 1 cello with a merit (I'm v. proud).
                            The songbook that's never off her piano?
                            Well, that'll be Cerys' Hook Line & Singer.
                            Recommended.
                            Nick Duerden: The 6 Music radio presenter and former singer with Catatonia says everyone should enjoy making music, regardless of how we may sound

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                              I'll certainly Listen Again to that - thanks JC.
                              On another Cerys related theme - my 8yr old grand daughter has just passed Grade 1 cello with a merit (I'm v. proud).
                              The songbook that's never off her piano?
                              Well, that'll be Cerys' Hook Line & Singer.
                              Recommended.
                              http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...ach-world-sing
                              Mulatu was a very fine guest, G. Interestingly they talked about the Ethiopian Masingo, tradionally with strings made from the tails of horses killed in battle I think he said, being the father of the cello. Cerys is getting better as an interviewer these days and she still has a very fine buncha tunes in there.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Cerys had Dylan Thomas' granddaughter on this morning celebrating his centenary year. Played this 'Under Dub Wood' by the Dub Allstars...wonderful!
                                Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Comment

Working...
                                X