Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

I thought I'd put Geo by Ivan Kupala, another from one of Charlie's comps that got a few plays when it came out - never tire of it - not on youtube that I know but here's a good vid by him/them.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      I thought I'd put Geo by Ivan Kupala, another from one of Charlie's comps that got a few plays when it came out - never tire of it - not on youtube that I know but here's a good vid by him/them.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_0j_38Tda0
      Yes, I like these. They hadn't made an impression on me before. The one on the video is obviously designed to have modern appeal but I do like the voices very much. There is also detail in the instrumentation as it progresses.

(The second main lady shown in red at 0.17 seconds, and later at 1.26 and 2.37, looks very much like my Nan did )
      Last edited by Guest; 09-11-12, 18:42.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

.............Just discovered - a rather extraordinary clip featuring A Filetta, Paulo Fresu and Daniele Di Bonaventura:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

(Actually, fabulous - one of the best things A Filetta have done)

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post

(Actually, fabulous - one of the best things A Filetta have done)
          Loved that first one Lat - wonderful singing.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Loved that first one Lat - wonderful singing.
            My old pal's about seven years dead - nobody better for a night drinking whisky listening to records. Every so often his partner decides she needs a bit of a clear out and passes a few tunes my way and yesterday was one such day. So this late autumn morning I headed to Dunkeld accompanied with some old faves and decided that what our list needs is a bit of the Balfa Brothers doing the Lacassine Special. I'm sure there are other Cajun contenders but their wonderful musicianship, fabulous percussion, rockin' rhythm and beautifully minimal vocals make it a one for me.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

....and while I was on an Americas French mini-theme I thought I'd put one of my favourite songs of last year that Oilrig played from Dentdelion, 'La rose et le lion'. Can never play it just once.
            Dentdelion, from Quebec, Canada, perform "La Rose a et le Lion" on Good Hope Island, July 12, 2009. L-R: Beatrix Methe (violin), Denise Levac (flute), Claude...
            Last edited by johncorrigan; 10-11-12, 14:53. Reason: Definitely decided on an indefinite article!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

My old pal's about seven years dead - nobody better for a night drinking whisky listening to records. Every so often his partner decides she needs a bit of a clear out and passes a few tunes my way and yesterday was one such day. So this late autumn morning I headed to Dunkeld accompanied with some old faves and decided that what our list needs is a bit of the Balfa Brothers doing the Lacassine Special. I'm sure there are other Cajun contenders but their wonderful musicianship, fabulous percussion, rockin' rhythm and beautifully minimal vocals make it a one for me.

....and while I was on an Americas French mini-theme I thought I'd put one of my favourite songs of last year that Oilrig played from Dentdelion, 'La rose et le lion'. Can never play it just once.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD9zJrlRwR8
              Two very worthwhile additions. I hope that you enjoyed yesterday as much as you could do. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your friend's records now they have been added to your collection. I see that you have just added the Reyes Brothers. Good!

I know now that there are more than 18 additional artists who can't possibly be excluded. But while we are on a certain theme, here is that clip of Paco and Camaron I promised. It is all very well that the description is "Bulerias" but I could fill a full hour with Bulerias in its different forms. Furthermore, when they did these things live, a fundamental part of it was improvisation:

dos (grandes) referencias del flamenco:Paco de Lucia(g) y Camaron de la Isla o Jose Monge Cruz(v)

Incidentally, what I find with some of the oldest clips is that they do convey considerable atmosphere. There is good and bad in every era, and some great music now, but I do feel that we have lost a little with modern venues and supposedly cleaner sound.
              Last edited by Guest; 11-11-12, 00:32.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Incidentally, what I find with some of the oldest clips is that they do convey considerable atmosphere. There is good and bad in every era, and some great music now, but I do feel that we have lost a little with modern venues and supposedly cleaner sound.
                I think that's the interminable reek you're talking about there, Lat. Remember the good old days when no cinematic or theatrical experience was complete unless viewed through the omnipresent smokescreen.

By the way, I didn't put the Reyes Brothers in, Lat, but I did put Bomboleo in - I know the Gypsy Kings are seen as a bit MOR these days but when I first saw them on the box I thought they were such high energy.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I think that's the interminable reek you're talking about there, Lat. Remember the good old days when no cinematic or theatrical experience was complete unless viewed through the omnipresent smokescreen.

By the way, I didn't put the Reyes Brothers in, Lat, but I did put Bomboleo in - I know the Gypsy Kings are seen as a bit MOR these days but when I first saw them on the box I thought they were such high energy.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mifnM...feature=fvwrel
                  Didn't they sort of re-brand on account of concerns about huge popularity? That was how I understood things. I always liked that record and still do so I am very pleased that you have selected it. They also helped to put the Camargue on the map.

On your first sentences, it goes a little further than the points you mention. Colour film was a different viewing experience in the 1960s/1970s. It has its own look. Then, of course, the hair and those clothes. But to take another example, that 'Mabele' clip has one of the most natural audiences I have ever seen. And Wrigleys must have had a special promotional event on that day.

GT - Thank you for three great tracks. Nice to hear Mulatu Astatke. That is the one used in 'Ethiopia' by Da Cruz, isn't it? Somewhere I spotted what appeared to be the source of the line "oh mi corazon" in 'Spanish Bombs'. The words were different but the way that they fitted into the song structure was the same. I can't now locate it but it was unlikely - African, I think, rather than Latin. There is also a connection between 'Sean Flynn' and a track by Dub Colossus, the latter itself drawing on something earlier. Moondog at 89 is terrific but Celia, Hugh, Miriam, Harry, Paul and tens of others must now be getting very nervous.
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-11-12, 20:31.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Didn't they sort of re-brand on account of concerns about huge popularity? That was how I understood things. I always liked that record and still do so I am very pleased that you have selected it. They also helped to put the Camargue on the map.
                    They also did, in my opinion, the best version of 'My Way', Lat.

I had to stick something from two of my very favourite records - could have put anything from Pirates Choice, to be honest because three or four would get into my top 100 anyway, but went for 'Werente Serigne'. I could also have put almost anything from the glorious 'New Ancient Strings' by Toumani and Ballake. I went for the opener, but it is one of those records to let wash over you. Essentially they did tunes originally done together by their fathers many years before. I know both have been on the list before.
                    By the way Lat, I know you posted them before but here's a good bit film of Ballake with Vincent Segal from those Tiny Desk people.

Most bands that perform a Tiny Desk Concert need to adjust their setup and sound to accommodate the setting's limitations. Malian kora player Ballake Sissoko...

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Not in spotty but I'd have put 'Caribbean Unity' in the list if it had been there; for lots of reasons and not just the way he says Rastafari.
                      Last edited by johncorrigan; 12-11-12, 15:01. Reason: lack of words

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

They also did, in my opinion, the best version of 'My Way', Lat.

I had to stick something from two of my very favourite records - could have put anything from Pirates Choice, to be honest because three or four would get into my top 100 anyway, but went for 'Werente Serigne'. I could also have put almost anything from the glorious 'New Ancient Strings' by Toumani and Ballake. I went for the opener, but it is one of those records to let wash over you. Essentially they did tunes originally done together by their fathers many years before. I know both have been on the list before.
                        By the way Lat, I know you posted them before but here's a good bit film of Ballake with Vincent Segal from those Tiny Desk people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtiTf...eature=related
                        That it isn't Frank is obvious. But irrespective of the style, it is by their standards understated. In that way, they convey that they did it their way. This in turn involves the audience. I have "Utrus Horas" on my list but your selection from "Pirates Choice" is better. And I would definitely have chosen Toumani Diabate had you and Global not done so. Black Stalin is cool. I feel there could be more hardanger fiddle and South African gospel but sorting out the sheep from the goats is more difficult than finding a clip of Egschiglen that does them full justice. In fact, less a case of ayarkhaan than ayarkhaant although overall it's going very well.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

South African gospel but sorting out the sheep from the goats is more difficult than finding a clip of Egschiglen that does them full justice. In fact, less a case of ayarkhaan than ayarkhaant although overall it's going very well.
                          I did start with SA Gospel and considered Mzwakhe from the same record - another fave, Lat.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I did start with SA Gospel and considered Mzwakhe from the same record - another fave, Lat.
                            Yes you did and you have now added the second. Global has just added Gustavo A Santaolalla.

He did say that the list was for an Audience of One, didn't he? What we don't know is whether the person normally listens to classical music and jazz on BBC Radio 3.

If there are not 52 places left but merely two - (and that would be a shame) - I assume that one would go to Samuel Yirga?

Last edited by Guest; 13-11-12, 08:53.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Global has just added Gustavo A Santaolalla.
                              ....and wonderful it is!

Comment

• Globaltruth
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

obviously we need to go to 150 & I've renamed accordingly. This Audience of One - she goes to Glastonbury but has never been to Womad. Does that help?
                                she was at this in 1970

but not at this in 1940

...she'd have enjoyed watching this

hope that helps...

Comment

Working...
                                X