• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

A Stor Mo Chroi

Now this isn't by the Voice Squad but the images are mighty passing strange, and it's not such a bad version..
    Heres a virtual movie of a recitation of a very beautiful modern traditional Irish folk ballad about the sadness that has been felt by so many Irish people o...

Or should it have been?

we'll never know and no apologies for the obvious

Du blues Tuareg du groupe malien TInariwen. Soutenez ce group et achetez sa musique de iTunes.Tuarag blues from the great Malian band Tinariwen. Support th...
    Last edited by Globaltruth; 04-11-12, 11:52.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Thank you for those clips GT. I particularly enjoyed the second one by the Voice Squad. Beautiful singing and wonderful countryside. They have changed a lot since the days of Beki Bondage!

John, I also enjoyed 'Rambala' and especially your addition of Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate to the Spotify list. What a great track. It was good too to have a reminder of Tenores di Bitti who I know less well than some comparable groups.

Is it just me or have we lost several valuable contributions to that list? In any case, I am grateful to Paul for sending me a link to a CD by Ramsay Midwood which I am listening to with interest.*

John - I am pleased that you enjoyed the earlier clips. Here is another. It has been here before but well worth replaying -

La divas togolaise, Bella Bellow était une véritable étoile au firmament de la chanson africaine des années 60 et 70.Elle nous quittait le 10 décembre 1973, ...

*Have now got his name right! I quite like this. The "blues" of 'Waynesboro' appeal. There are several other good things too. I hear Johnny Cash, have to say the guy from Whiskeytown came to mind, and 'Esther' is "Waitsian". 'Monster Truck' is apposite.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-11-12, 15:57.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

Or should it have been?

I might have been tempted, Global.

Of all the great records that Ry Cooder has made with Ali, and the Cubans and the likes, none for me beats this beautiful classic - 'A meeting by the River' with VM Bhatt on vina. Four tracks on the CD, everyone a gem - the first CD I ever bought. Not on Spotty but it would be in my greatest WM chart.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

I think that 'Cold, Haily, Rainy night' deserves to be in there - apart from anything, one of those all-too-rare brilliant bits from 'Later'.
          The Imagined Village perform Cold Haily Rainy Night on Later...With Jools Holland from 15th Feb 2008. The band includes Eliza & Martin Carthy, Chris Wood, Th...

Comment

• Globaltruth
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            I think that 'Cold, Haily, Rainy night' deserves to be in there - apart from anything, one of those all-too-rare brilliant bits from 'Later'.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QC2av7-_Ik
            We were only listening to it the other night & commenting on how well it stood up.

Ethiopiques?
            Well, one from Alemu is compulsory, and this video shows his quiet dignity, mastery of the Begenna and his deep spirituality.
            ALEMU AGA - the famous Begenna Player from EthiopiaAlemu Aga was born in 1950 in Entoto, near Addis Ababa. He has played the Ethiopian traditional lyre Begen...

but isn't typical of the crazy, ramshackle Ethiopiques world we know and love. In fact choice on Spotify is limited - although there is more if you search by individual artiste.
            so for example:
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

which I'm plumping for, but as an example (from the 27'ish different CD's - may be back for more...)

to be continued...
            Last edited by Globaltruth; 05-11-12, 16:09.

Comment

• Globaltruth
              Host
              • Nov 2010

On a different note, another automatic inclusion...
              Amadou & Mariam (feat. Manu Chao) - Sénégal Fast Food (Official Music Video)Listen to the new single ‘Mogolu’: https://amadouandmariam.lnk.to/mogolu Subscrib...

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

We were only listening to it the other night & commenting on how well it stood up.

Ethiopiques?
                Well, one from Alemu is compulsory, and this video shows his quiet dignity, mastery of the Begenna and his deep spirituality.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZBqBnuRlBQ
                Terrific to hear again, G.

which I'm plumping for, but as an example (from the 27'ish different CD's - may be back for more...)

to be continued...
                Certainly a great one to go for G.
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 05-11-12, 17:17. Reason: no particular reason.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

On a different note, another automatic inclusion...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J43T8rEOg-I
                  I agree with John. All great choices. As you imply, Spotify could do more on the Ethiopiques series.

It also has the least good CD by Lo Cor de la Plana. Ideally, I would have chosen "Farfaneta" but it will have to be something else. In the meantime, here are a few clips of one of the best current groups I have ever had the good fortune to see live:

Tant Deman - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM0UzhYcHEI

Farfaneta - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGHT...eature=related

Boozy Medley - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTbgu9mYyC8
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-11-12, 22:21.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Ravi Shankar also may be allowed more than one...very difficult choice, early on his life:
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Ravi Shankar also may be allowed more than one...very difficult choice, early on his life:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0f-mfDD18g
                      Oh. Good choice but........are we on this thread then, Mr GT?

I was hoping you would post it on the other one as I have three posts in a row there already.

Now that I am here........sadly, Enkh Jargal isn't on Spotify other than with Nathalie Manser. He is though on YT and, well, any excuse to play this clip again. I never get tired of it and probably never will do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwANedEkqaY.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-11-12, 13:25.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Yeah we're jumping about here.
                        I thought I'd stick in another from one of Charlie's collections - Dona Rosa singing Resineiro, the Gum Collector - such gentle heart break in the voice....and while I was there I reckoned that Mari Boine Persen's amazing 'Gula, Gula' should be in too - for me it comes from the same time as Sheila Chandra's 'Struggle' - I might even have heard them both for the first time on the same Jan Fairley show many years back on Radio Scotty's Earthworks programme.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Yeah we're jumping about here.
                          I thought I'd stick in another from one of Charlie's collections - Dona Rosa singing Resineiro, the Gum Collector - such gentle heart break in the voice....and while I was there I reckoned that Mari Boine Persen's amazing 'Gula, Gula' should be in too - for me it comes from the same time as Sheila Chandra's 'Struggle' - I might even have heard them both for the first time on the same Jan Fairley show many years back on Radio Scotty's Earthworks programme.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxXzcF4zMvk
                          Well, that Dona Rosa song is magnificent John. One of the best of your selections. I will playing it a lot.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                            Well, that Dona Rosa song is magnificent John. One of the best of your selections. I will playing it a lot.
                            I miss those compilations that Charlie used to put together, Lat - I have another track that I'm toying with putting onto the list - I love it, but I'm not sure. However I would probably have put Uma Historia de Ifa by Virginia Rodrigues on if it had been on Spotty - I think it's a candemble song - beautiful performance. She was on the Music Planet from Brazil, I seem to remember.
                            No copyright infringement intended.Beautiful voice meets classy arrangement. From the album "Nos" by this terrific Brazilian singer.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

"Siki Siki Baba" by Koçani OrkestarRecorded live at Ancienne Belgique, BrusselsLabel : Crammed discsBuy/stream Koçani Orkestar's latest album: http://smartur...

caution, earworm warning

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I miss those compilations that Charlie used to put together, Lat - I have another track that I'm toying with putting onto the list - I love it, but I'm not sure. However I would probably have put Uma Historia de Ifa by Virginia Rodrigues on if it had been on Spotty - I think it's a candemble song - beautiful performance. She was on the Music Planet from Brazil, I seem to remember.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH7jehC_gYw
                                Definitely John! A beautiful voice. What a pity that the song isn't on Spotify. I also enjoyed Mari Boine - we haven't had many yet from her part of the world - and I do think there is a strong case for including that Justin Vali one too.

Global - I very much enjoyed your selections today. The Kocani Orkestar song is my pick of the bunch but the Baluji Shrivastav raga is pure class and it is good to see Huun-Huur-Tu making it onto the list at last.

I like the way that we are managing to find representatives from most parts of the world. That seems right as an introduction to someone as well as honouring the spirit/fulfilling the remit of the list title.
                                Last edited by Guest; 09-11-12, 01:04.

Comment

Working...
                                X