X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

200 top WM toons - the Companion string

Following Paul's suggestion, here's a thread to go along with Global's collaborative playlist, to mop up those top tracks not on spotty or perhaps a fine Vid performance of a toon or maybe you might like to highlight a reason for a particular choice, whole CD etc.

Like this one - not on spotty that I can detect, but I was listening to an old Charlie G collection in the car today and this is just so great.
    Okna Tsahan Zam - Edjin DuunI spent 11 years of my life in Mongolia and this song is linked with so many memories :) didnt find it in youtube yet so i though...
  • Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Following Paul's suggestion, here's a thread to go along with Global's collaborative playlist, to mop up those top tracks not on spotty or perhaps a fine Vid performance of a toon or maybe you might like to highlight a reason for a particular choice, whole CD etc.

Like this one - not on spotty that I can detect, but I was listening to an old Charlie G collection in the car today and this is just so great.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN41vuy-hh0
    A good clip and a good subject for a thread.

Having said as much, I immediately think of Sipho Gumede's 'Hammersdale' which is a song I am very keen on.

It is on Spotify but I think it has recently dropped off YT.

Not that it would necessarily be right for a Top 100 (plus) with the person GT mentioned in mind.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

A pivotal record for me - might have been the first I ever ordered - the thought of having to wait for a record was a mystery - I love the whole record but bought it after hearing AK play this - joyous stuff.
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Found one -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B77US6XJt7E

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post

Not that it would necessarily be right for a Top 100 (plus) with the person GT mentioned in mind.
          Hey don't let that stop anyone posting anything - this person, she has open ears...

this isn't her (being from the 1920's) but illustrates what an open ear might look like.

This thread needs at least one of these...

Good thread JC.
          Last edited by Globaltruth; 01-11-12, 10:31. Reason: couldnt decide which clip - still can't...

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

This thread needs at least one of these...
            Indeed it does Global.
            Did I spot an Ohrwurm in there, by the way. Anyway thought I'd put on Ring out Mt. Zion Bells and then remembered why, as every time I hear it I can't stop singing it for days - here they are those Wingless Angels with some other guy.

I could have picked three or four by Orchestre national de Barbès from en concert - I love Ma Ychali, the way it builds and after twelve minutes makes you want more and more, or Salam, but I plumped for Alaoui; well just because it's epic. Here's Salam from youtube.
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Globaltruth
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Indeed it does Global.
              Did I spot an Ohrwurm in there, by the way. Anyway thought I'd put on Ring out Mt. Zion Bells and then remembered why, as every time I hear it I can't stop singing it for days - here they are those Wingless Angels with some other guy.

I could have picked three or four by Orchestre national de Barbès from en concert - I love Ma Ychali, the way it builds and after twelve minutes makes you want more and more, or Salam, but I plumped for Alaoui; well just because it's epic. Here's Salam from youtube.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMKU_BDUi1A
              I like this post-to-Spot/post-YouTube-link approach .

So here's a severely truncated of the Baaba Maal song; only one I could find which is a shame becuase the slow relentless build is one of the features that I like so much.

and, again, this demands inclusion but I'm open to debate as to which track...

This is my second film and ofcourse it has to do with tango.I had lot of fun shooting & editing this film. I used Gotan Project's El Capitalismo Foraneo. The...

As you can see the annotated choreography is quite complex
              Last edited by Globaltruth; 02-11-12, 10:02. Reason: adverbs mainly

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

and, again, this demands inclusion but I'm open to debate as to which track...

This is my second film and ofcourse it has to do with tango.I had lot of fun shooting & editing this film. I used Gotan Project's El Capitalismo Foraneo. The...

Watching those vids makes me just wish I could dance, Global - Gotan piece is a stormer - those smashin' dancers make it look so easy.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

This

for the reason that they are one of the greatest group of musicians I have met and had the privilege to work with.
                  Some great memories of travelling to Shetland to do a gig in a tiny hall on the edge of a cliff in the pouring rain

Comment

• Globaltruth
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Momo, wandel, Toko, afro, swing, dessert, blues

(whisper it, but the Phantom Poster has returned. By a process of illumination I think I know who it may be...you can just make him out in this picture)

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      This

for the reason that they are one of the greatest group of musicians I have met and had the privilege to work with.
                      Some great memories of travelling to Shetland to do a gig in a tiny hall on the edge of a cliff in the pouring rain
                      VG MrGG, VG indeed!!!!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

V appropriate poster for today - and it should be phantom - all them souls day - yep I was thinking that Momo had to be going in Global.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

VG MrGG, VG indeed!!!!
                          Hopefully a track by Huun Huur Tu will make it onto the Spotify list. Sadly, this essential inclusion isn't on Spotify either:

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

.......Another one not on Spotify but in my CD collection. When the many albums by Salif Keita are mentioned, one could be forgiven for thinking that he had never recorded 'Ko-Yan'. It seldom receives comment. To my mind, that is mainly because of the production. It commits the cardinal sin of unashamedly using synths, not that some of his others don't too.

I always feel in this regard that what is done matters rather less than how it is done. François Breant's production is not exactly invisible. Some might say that the CD is 'awash' with it. At the same time, all of the voices remain distinctly African and, unusually, that quality is somehow enhanced by what is taking place. This is particularly true in the accompaniment.

Back in the late 1980s, 'Yada' was the track that sounded especially good to me. Certainly it shimmered. And while ironically it could be said that now it seems a little dated because of what were then modern techniques, I still think it works well:

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                              Hopefully a track by Huun Huur Tu will make it onto the Spotify list. Sadly, this essential inclusion isn't on Spotify either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTNcv3gIcgw
                              It is interesting to love a body of work and not one track in particular - Mahlathini & Mahotella Queens are like that for me - I hear those voices and I'm away with it.

Thanks for the delightful tracks - great start to a Saturday, Lat. Every so often I go looking for this on Youtube and today I found it. I love joy in music and this is one of the most joyful things I ever saw on TV. The night Justin Vali Trio appeared on 'Later' back in 95 I found myself sitting through the song with a huge grin on my face. I had it videoed and played it loads and then accidentally taped over it . Watching it this morning brought that joy back - song is on Spotty and probably isn't a top 100, but this Vid is in my all time top 10.
                              Last edited by johncorrigan; 03-11-12, 10:22. Reason: checking the joy! Yep, still there!

Comment

Working...
                              X