• Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

My sister sent me this. Lovely.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      My sister sent me this. Lovely.
      That is a smashing clip. Many thanks Richard.

Call me an Englishman. I still have just a smidgen of doubt about the assurances from JC, Oilrig and Roddy Forsyth. It seems to me that Grace Kelly could be a rather wonderful rainy day fantasy in the mind of one of the Arabs, a combination perhaps of a temporary drifting off from the proceedings and a mirage in the haze. Alternatively, there is just a hint of an arguably endearing put down for one of the less effective players in the game. I have Nasser as the kind of supporter who faces the crowd with klaxon in hand and insists on reluctant types singing. But then I didn't get where I am today by always being in the real world.

(nb - Funny how a song can be felt as being so spot on because of the questions it raises - the questions become the answers!)

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Spotted an ad for this programme in the window of a record shop in Dundee yesterday - needless to say I was heading in. It's a tribute to Michael this coming Friday on Beeb2 Scotland - I'll post the link once it comes up for those who fancy a watch.

A celebration of the life and career of singer-songwriter, actor and artist Michael Marra.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          Spotted an ad for this programme in the window of a record shop in Dundee yesterday - needless to say I was heading in. It's a tribute to Michael this coming Friday on Beeb2 Scotland - I'll post the link once it comes up for those who fancy a watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pkhs7
          That's good of you. I do appreciate that John.

Not sure where the nearest proper record shop is to here - we just have a second hand record shop 2 miles away and a very small number of chain shops in Croydon.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post

Not sure where the nearest proper record shop is to here - we just have a second hand record shop 2 miles away and a very small number of chain shops in Croydon.
            Groucho's, Lat - very good - new and second hand - yesterday on a sodden day I was treated to a right punky half hour including this treat played v. loud:
            you never listen to a word that I said, you only seen me for the clothes that I wear, or did the interest go so much deeper it must have beenthe colour of my...

Has he ever done anything better?

... oh, and I picked this up for three quid.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Groucho's, Lat - very good - new and second hand - yesterday on a sodden day I was treated to a right punky half hour including this treat played v. loud:
              you never listen to a word that I said, you only seen me for the clothes that I wear, or did the interest go so much deeper it must have beenthe colour of my...

Has he ever done anything better?

... oh, and I picked this up for three quid.

http://www.urb.com/wp-content/files_...5462soweto.jpg
              That is a great cd - you've got a bargain.

(PIL reminds me of the jukebox in my university bar - one of the more current songs at the time alongside the Zombies and the Yardbirds etc - one of the classic moments there was 'Don't Fear The Reaper' getting stuck and lasting for well over an hour)

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Not really long enough to take on someone with such a range of creativity, and so, of course, not enough music in there; but an affectionate tribute to Michael Marra and a beautiful poem written in memory of him by Scots Makar, Liz Lochead; and also his beautiful description of what his hometown meant to him. It's up there for a week.
                A celebration of the life and career of singer-songwriter, actor and artist Michael Marra.
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 29-12-12, 10:28. Reason: Big Elephants Aren't Ugly They're BEAUTIFUL!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

In many ways radio is a better medium than TV and this beautiful tribute to Michael on Radio Scotland this evening shows it. A great listen - if you have to choose one, choose radio.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

In many ways radio is a better medium than TV and this beautiful tribute to Michael on Radio Scotland this evening shows it. A great listen - if you have to choose one, choose radio.
                    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pf03h
                    Excellent. Thanks John. That was a very good programme. "Hamish", "Hermless" and "All Will Be Well" are all classics. They are the kinds of songs not just to listen to but to take forward in life. I'd never have been aware of them had I not joined the forum.

The TV programme was also very enjoyable. It brought out the fact that he was a very nice bloke and a true artist as well as a great singer songwriter. The clips in the programme deserve being played more. They - some are clips - and others are here -

Last edited by Guest; 04-01-13, 10:43.

Comment

Working...
                    X