X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

The great Michael Marra dies

I am so to see the death of Michael Marra, the Bard of Dundee - a lovely man, a great songwriter, and terrific singer. I was fortunate enough to meet him a couple of times and he was a warm delightful human being. He will be missed.
    Tributes have been paid to singer-songwriter Michael Marra, who has died in hospital in Dundee at the age of 60.
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    I am so to see the death of Michael Marra, the Bard of Dundee - a lovely man, a great songwriter, and terrific singer. I was fortunate enough to meet him a couple of times and he was a warm delightful human being. He will be missed.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-20066779
    JC you & I think Oilrig, have spoken of Michael Marra before in glowing terms, but I don't know his work - I know he did a lot at and for Celtic Connections - how about posting some recommendation links ? Spotify or YouTube or anywhere...

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      JC you & I think Oilrig, have spoken of Michael Marra before in glowing terms, but I don't know his work - I know he did a lot at and for Celtic Connections - how about posting some recommendation links ? Spotify or YouTube or anywhere...
      Here he is doing Burns at his best - and nobody did it like Michael Marra.
      "Auld Lang Syne, Robert Burns at Celtic Connections 2009. Recorded last night at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, this concert features some of Scotland's fin...

Of course, he did write, in Lat's and my opinion, the best ever song about footie ( I think Oilrig would concur), about Hamish McAlpine a Dundee United legendary goalie - and Mick a Dundee fan too.
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

One I love is 'If I were an Englishman', here from a village hall in Neilston near Paisley.

The wonderful Michael Marra live at Crofthead Hall, Neilston - February 2011.

...and one that is suggested as the most appropriate national anthem we never had. Hermless!
      The alternative Scottish national anthem - photo from an original by Adrian Donaldson.

Great man gone too soon!
      Last edited by johncorrigan; 25-10-12, 08:07. Reason: forgot about Hamish link!

Comment

• Oilrig

Michael M

Taken me til now to do this - apologies:

I've struggled to find words to express my feelings on yesterday's news about Michael Marra - I went to post something several times and just couldn't. I didn't feel like I had the right, with so...

Also agreed on the footie, although I'd make a pitch also for Reynard in Paradise:

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

I think he was one of those performers whose records never quite did them justice.

When you saw him live, the patter between the songs was a much part of the performance as the music itself.

Here's an example: "Schenectady Calling Peerie Willie Johnson"

And here's Rob Adams' obituary of Marra: http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile...18700ccccaece9

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

And given the events going on in Mali, this one seems appropriate.

Chain Up the Swings:
            Scottish singer / songwriter Michael Marra with Chain up the Swings. It's basically about religious stupidity.They actually did this on Sundays. I do not thi...

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Byas'd Opinion View Post
              And given the events going on in Mali, this one seems appropriate.

Chain Up the Swings:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntT37AZzx8Q
              How I wish.........
              Michael's song about the visit of Dr John (Mac Rebennack) to Blairgowrie.

Comment

• Oilrig

It was one of my favourite sessions on World on 3 - Hogmanay 2010/11 - bringing in the bells with Mr M, the Battlefield Band and The Staves. Very happy memories of a wonderful taigh-ceilidh in Ardgour.

Mary Ann Kennedy at home with The Battlefield Band, Michael Marra and The Staves.

PS Apologies for the first link above - felt it was a bit OTT cutting and pasting, so I put all up on Facebook. Cheers MA

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oilrig View Post
                  It was one of my favourite sessions on World on 3 - Hogmanay 2010/11 - bringing in the bells with Mr M, the Battlefield Band and The Staves. Very happy memories of a wonderful taigh-ceilidh in Ardgour.

Mary Ann Kennedy at home with The Battlefield Band, Michael Marra and The Staves.

PS Apologies for the first link above - felt it was a bit OTT cutting and pasting, so I put all up on Facebook. Cheers MA
                  Without doubt one of my favourite ever Wo3 programmes, even if it was a bit of a short one as I recall, Oilrig. Talking of Niel Gow (I notice it on the playlist for that show), we had a walk along the Tay a week or so back across the river from Dunkeld Cathedral to Niel Gow's oak. There's the remains of a lovely bench there - got hit by a huge limb last winter - but on the bench are the remains of a quote of Michael's from the song:
                  'Sitting beneath the fiddle tree wi' the ghost of Niel Gow next to me.' A reminder of two great Scots.
                  With more than 200,000 acres of woodlands, which include more champion trees than anywhere else in the UK, Perthshire is Big Tree Country. Together these create Scotland's most spectacular trees and woodlands, where there are lots of different experiences to discover and enjoy. Perthshire Big Tree Country is one of the best places in Scotland for leaf-peeping this autumn! We have brought together 18 of the best tree and woodland sights from across Perthshire Big Tree County and grouped them together around seven locations. Have fun exploring! If you like what you see here, check out our Perthshire Big Tree Country Interactive Map as well. As the seasons change, so does the magnificence of Perthshire Big Tree Country. Use the map to find out where you can go to see natural phenomena like spring bluebells, autumn colours and year-round amazing views as and when they happen and get hints about itineraries around the sites you fancy visiting.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

It was a memorable programme indeed, John, falling in to " Now That's What I Call A Session " bracket.
                    A rare communicating and believable voice gone.

I wonder if he's flying with the Heron ?
                    Just a thought.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Oilrig View Post

Oilrig - It would be great if that programme could be repeated.

As John already knows, I was deeply saddened to hear that Michael Marra had died. He was unique. The nearest comparison is probably Randy Newman but somehow he connects with Alan Hull and Rab Noakes in my mind. Tremendous observation,
                      a very human way, someone who could bring people together and make them laugh and cry at the same time.

And clearly his talents were wide-ranging. I understand that plays and operas were among his achievements. I regret to say that it wasn't until one of your recent Christmas/New Year programmes that I became aware of him. He immediately became a big favourite. I was determined to see him live and am disappointed that wasn't to be.

As his family says, he leaves us with songs. Many I can still look forward to hearing although some CDs are hard to track down. 'Hamish the Goalie' though is, without question, my favourite song of all that I have heard in the past three years. The lyrics even on a page are absolutely wonderful and, of course, he had the musicality to find a winning tune.

I also love his version of 'Green Grow the Rashes', which John has already posted, and the magical 'All Will Be Well". He should have been massive and in a different era he would have been. His words were, and are, just so right for the lives of everyone:

Last edited by Guest; 30-10-12, 21:43.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

........Bella Caledonia. Not my everyday reading.

A rather wonderful tribute by Lesley Riddoch - http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2012/10...esley-riddoch/

I viewed almost all of the YT clips last night and concluded that this has been a big loss. We need more of Michael's kind in the here and now.

I also felt even more enthusiastic about his songs, many of which were exceptional. And it was an opportunity too to listen to Alice and Matthew Marra in the not-at-all-bad Hazey Janes.

(Was Grace Kelly really at that Dundee Utd v Monaco match? Serious question at the risk of appearing crackers.)

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post

(Was Grace Kelly really at that Dundee Utd v Monaco match? Serious question at the risk of appearing crackers.)
                          Well Roddy Forsyth says he was, as you'll see towards the end of this piece, Lat.....and given Hamish's record it's probably true.
                          The day it became known that the Rangers newco would be admitted as a member of the Third Division of the Scottish Football League, an insolvency expert told this correspondent: “There is every chance that the investigations into what exactly happened will still be going on after Rangers get back into the SPL.”
                          Last edited by johncorrigan; 31-10-12, 23:46. Reason: true love!

Comment

• Oilrig

Yes she was, right under the coal merchants' hoarding. And he had the poster for the Dr John gig too.
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-11-12, 07:55. Reason: can't write English...

Comment

• amateur51

I confess to never having heard of Michael Marra in his lifetime but, having watched the youtube clips here, I understand some of why those that knew him and of him feel such a loss. A remarkable character and performer.

Comment

Working...
                              X