X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Frank and Joe

Some artists get known for one record only. Two such guys just passed on this past week.
    Frank Wilson has died aged 71. He gained fame when a record of 'Do I love you (indeed I do)' sold at auction for £25000. Barry Gordy at Motown had ordered all the copies destroyed and only a couple of 45s survived and the song became a Northern Soul Classic.
    The original version of this song is quite simply the most sought-after Motown and Northern Soul record of all time. The legendary Motown producer, Frank Wil...

Mind you, he also wrote 'You Made me so very Happy' done by Blood Sweat and Tears.

Joe South, in much the same way, became known for his giant hit 'Games People Play'. He's just died at 72 but I was surprised by his obit to find that he'd played bass on Blonde on Blonde. I was unaware that he also wrote the excellent 'Down in the Boondocks' and one of my guilty pleasures 'Rose Garden', and of course he was also responsible for 'Hush'. He said that when he won the grammy for 'Games People Play' he froze, worried that he wouldn't be able to perform any more.
    The original version of this song is quite simply the most sought-after Motown and Northern Soul record of all time. The legendary Motown producer, Frank Wil...

No bad being remembered for such fine records
Working...
X