• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

The playlist is up now too.

And blow me down Jose Manuel Budino IS on Spotty.

These shark-catchers are a blood thirsty lot. Hardly surprising. Sing-sings sound a bit like the village socials...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Contrast and compare that with this clip later - X-Seamen's Institute - a prized cd in my collection -

Listen to the official audio of The X Seamen's Institute's "Roll Alabama Roll" from the 2004 album 'Classic Maritime Music from Smithsonian Folkways' on Smit...

- That last one had a bit of the spiritual about it.

- What is it about the voice of a trusted presenter that gives a feeling of everything being right in the world? So pleased he has done this.
      Last edited by Guest; 13-01-11, 22:34.

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Will do.

I've got an old record of some shark calling from about 10 years ago somewhere. I'd like to compare that to Blaze's version.

Hang on we're in Brazil now...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

....we are and I'm very struck by this music. The voices. Beautiful. Moving. This is Brazil with African influence isn't it? I like it so much I will look into it more.

Candomble - I've just had a quick look. There are pagan hints there. Worship of the elements. Salvador looks more modern than I would have expected from what we heard.

Comment

• Globaltruth
            Host
            • Nov 2010

I couldn't catch the word - yes, that definitely worth investigating further. Never quite understood how the Orisha's fitted in.

Deep sea canoe group are definitely allied with the Wiregrass Harp Sacred singers and probably some St. Kildans or similar. JC and McG will give us chapter and verse on this I'm sure.

Since 2006 non-stop!

Welcome back AK, good work both.
            Last edited by Globaltruth; 13-01-11, 22:58.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I like that a lot too. Voice is one of my favourite instruments. What a daft remark. Religion is best with music. No. Religion can't be religion without music.

They have sung non-stop since 2006. Maybe we need something similar here.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

.......Solomons.....heaven on earth....and the Deep Sea Canoe Movement. Great.

Orishas - yes, they were part of the African migration I think. Also the name of the Cuban rappers who took Womad by storm in 09.

Comment

• Martin Reynolds

Bravo Lucy and Andy. A triumph! Loved the snippet about Songs of Praise. All the music was distinctive and of high quality.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Martin, yes, it really worked for me. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Lat.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                      Martin, yes, it really worked for me. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Lat.
                      An enthusiastic chair meant an overrun meeting and meant I only caught from Virginia Rodriguez on - what a voice - I do love her singing - I have a pal who is in Candomble - and that Andy Kershaw guy...what a voice! I felt a tingle up my spine hearing him back on the beeb. Loved the Solomon songs. Looking forward to listening to the rest especially after having read your live commentaries guys.:cool2:

Comment

• Globaltruth
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Here's a quick playlist featuring the artists, themes and a striking similarity from last nights show
                        Music Planet 1

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Hi Global - I find that very helpful. Have a number of other "duties" throughout today so I will only be logging on intermittently until late afternoon.

Got a bit confused last night. I added a few to the chain and then suddenly saw the excellent Memphis Minnie. Assuming that she was intended to follow on from what was there before, I moved her up and found a connecting track, hence the slightly odd timing against the entries there - Lat.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

loads more on the website now

Music planet site

isn't the linkage to and from the tv prog poor though?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                              Hi Global - I find that very helpful. Have a number of other "duties" throughout today so I will only be logging on intermittently until late afternoon.

Got a bit confused last night. I added a few to the chain and then suddenly saw the excellent Memphis Minnie. Assuming that she was intended to follow on from what was there before, I moved her up and found a connecting track, hence the slightly odd timing against the entries there - Lat.
                              Tell you what Lat; that 'Murder' record that the Minn ie song comes from is a complete belter - fantastic compilation from the good volks in Trikont.

Comment

• Anna

I really enjoyed the Human Plant tv broadcast, and then I got all excited about people tweeting (or twittering?) here during Andy Kershaw, is a live tweet to be the norm from now on, sort of like one of those Guardian tv blogs they do for Strictly Come Dancing or The Apprentice?

Comment

Working...
                                X