• Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Lucy Ward

ok, so we've seen 10 acts in 5 days.

Of these, there were 2 standout ones.

there were another 2 I'd possibly see again, someone should have a serious chat with the rest & persuade them to stay at home until they (1) can hold a tune, (2) remember the words, and (3) have some charisma and/or personality implanted. Although I did like the one who came on, accidentally knocked over a chair, nearly stumbling off stage and innocently said 'my first song is about obstacles'

One standout I'll post about on the Jazz forum, the other, Lucy Ward,, deserves her own thread here.

Winner of the BBC Folk Horizon Award (2012), Lucy Wards' début single "For The Dead Men". A modern protest song written and performed by Lucy Ward. Produced ...

and
    Lucy Ward - Common People @ Shrewsbury Folk Festival 2011Fantastic cover of Pulp's Common People by Lucy Ward at Shrewsbury Folk Festival 2011

neither of which are entirely characteristic

She's already been played on LJ, won a BBC Folk award....a genuinely warm performer with something to say that is worth saying - very talented.

I hope we'll hear more of her.

Those of you on Spotify with me will be receiving selections if you haven't already...

http://lucywardsings.com/Lucy Ward sings "The King of Rome" by Dave SudburyRecorded at Assembly Rooms Derby 2011
  • Paul Sherratt

Thanks Global. Admirable energy your household has.
    Para 3 neatly sums up why I don't get out as much these days*
    From your comments I assume Derbyshire Lucy passes that basic test of mine " Do I believe this performer ? "

* Might be tempted out east tomorrow if I get my vehicle returned in time from nationwide repairs plc ( hysterical laugh in ST7 )

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
      Thanks Global. Admirable energy your household has.
      Para 3 neatly sums up why I don't get out as much these days*
      From your comments I assume Derbyshire Lucy passes that basic test of mine " Do I believe this performer ? "

* Might be tempted out east tomorrow if I get my vehicle returned in time from nationwide repairs plc ( hysterical laugh in ST7 )
      The average is 1 out of 10, so we were pleasantly surprised.
      And she is the real deal - not sure she even realises it herself yet, which is refreshing & rare.
      We're now entering a quiet period until mid-Oct...

(and oddly I've just had mine back from Advance Accident Repairs (insurance job) who I would thoroughly recommend.)

Hope you make it out there - I realised when we saw Jazz Jamaica that I would never want to own their stuff, but would never miss a chance to see them...
      Last edited by Globaltruth; 17-09-12, 13:28.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Really enjoyable record Global - thanks for that - great singer and some terrific songs - I'll away and join the jazzers for a while now seein' as you've been over there.

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          Really enjoyable record Global - thanks for that - great singer and some terrific songs - I'll away and join the jazzers for a while now seein' as you've been over there.
          I think I forgot to say that she was laugh out loud funny, which you don't really get on the recod, but I'm glad you liked it. She doesn't seem to cross the border much, but then we're all worried we may bump into your headman or his honchos so tend not to.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

loved "Dead Men". She looks well worth seeing.
            Frankly "Common People" is a song i have heard a good deal too many times already..but the rest of the world loves it , so it must be me !!
            Would love to see her at Wickham next year.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Global
              Can't go west, can't go east, I'm stuck in ST7 thanks to that nationwide repair calamity plc that's deceased. ( Vague nod to Brian Henneman there )
              So I'm now setting possible sights on catching Maria do Carmo Carvalho Rebelo de Andrade when she does her thing, up the road, later in the year.
              Ta for the top spot btw.

Another nod to Brian, some distance away from Lucy I know.
              Brian Henneman of the notorious band the Bottle Rockets recorded this demo-version of the Bottle Rockets song "Indianapolis" in 1991. With help from Jeff Twe...

Comment

• Globaltruth
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Global

So I'm now setting possible sights on catching Maria do Carmo Carvalho Rebelo de Andrade when she does her thing, up the road, later in the year.
                Maria do Carmo Carvalho Rebelo de Andrade - She's got loads of stuff on YouTube....and it all sounds much the same! Is that the rule with Fado?
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Whereas young Lucy is clearly in a more experimental frame of mind...

Lucy Ward singing her own song "Ink" at Warwick Folk Festival 2012. The song was inspired by the book "Stuart:A Life Backwards" (Alexander Masters). The book...

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>>Is that the rule with Fado?

It certainly is !
                  And why the committee decided last night to give it a miss
                  Mind you I thought Staff Benda lacked aural variety on the radio.
                  I'm sure it was different in the steamy old hall !

Comment

• Globaltruth
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

>>>Is that the rule with Fado?

It certainly is !
                    And why the committee decided last night to give it a miss
                    Mind you I thought Staff Benda lacked aural variety on the radio.
                    I'm sure it was different in the steamy old hall !
                    Hmm, not sure we're allowed to say that about SBB, although you are totally correct - I did read a v.good mainsteam journo article somewhere where making much the same criticism.
                    I suspect/hope SBB would welcome this constructively, rather than the slightly patronising reviews they tend to garner.

What's more important the music or the story?
                    Does the committee have an answer to that one?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                      What's more important the music or the story?
                      Does the committee have an answer to that one?
                      Love and Marriage......horse and carriage......I think the story told in SBB's film was pretty incredible, and really well told by the film makers, especially their depictions of Kinshasa..... and although their music doesn't vary hugely, the energy in their music really builds. I really enjoyed the Prom a couple of weeks back - their first record I thought very enjoyable. I think I'm enjoying this one better.

When I went to Tinariwen I felt they had two or three tunes and were very repetitive but it gave things a very mesmeric quality, so maybe in the Hall is the place to be for the top experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X