Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Global Jukebox

As mentioned earlier elsewhere the Alan lomax archive is now online

Here's somewhere to start

Lifted from that site this quote:

“Neighborhood investigation shows him to be a very peculiar individual in that he is only interested in folk lore music, being very temperamental and ornery. …. He has no sense of money values, handling his own and Government property in a neglectful manner, and paying practically no attention to his personal appearance. … He has a tendency to neglect his work over a period of time and then just before a deadline he produces excellent results.” (from the FBI file on Alan Lomax, 1940–1980)

Why Global Jukebox?

Well. that's the label imprint. You can read about it here:

A plug/reminder for another global jukeboxer, DJ Ritu who is on Dr. Lucy's radio station

And finally a couple of quotes from the latest Froots magazine [I'm sure they won't mind]
    First, in response to a question as to why broadcastrers refuse to play songs sung in other languages..
    How can you not look around you if you live in a place like London and hear a 1000 languages every day? Dr Lucy Duran
    Next, talking of the dearth of World Musicians at this years festivals [Womad excepted], Ian Anderson
    says
    Is it just low horizons and lack of imagination on behalf of small-c conservative bookers who don't get out enough? Or is this where parochialism shades into xenophobia?
    Last edited by Globaltruth; 16-03-12, 14:38.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

wow! thanks for that globaltruth
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• handsomefortune

a top thread starter, (and thanks too).

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Many thanks Global. The Alan Lomax archive is fantastic. After a two hour walk this morning - 5am to 7am - I had a cup of tea with the accompaniment of Galicia courtesy of AL.

If I can take this opportunity to try to get a message to BBC folk, could we have assurances please of a long term vision for the WR archive and also Alyn Shipton's archive on jazz. No doubt that there are several options, particularly in the modern business era, but each must be proof tested to guarantee public access in the future. That means at least 50 years from now.

It would be a sin for them to be sold to Sky or to disappear into a university Department where they can only be listened to by students for research purposes. The latter has already happened too many times recently in my view.

I do agree on the point about broadcasting music in other languages generally. This wouldn't of course be resolved by a selection of identikit vocoder so-called R and B from every continent, although that would sadly be the most likely response. On festivals, I will read Ian's article. It sounds a little harsh on Celtic Connections but I am sure his arguments are characteristically well made.
        Last edited by Guest; 17-03-12, 10:44.

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          Many thanks Global. The Alan Lomax archive is fantastic. After a two hour walk this morning - 5am to 7am - I had a cup of tea with the accompaniment of Galicia courtesy of AL.

If I can take this opportunity to try to get a message to BBC folk, could we have assurances please of a long term vision for the WR archive and also Alyn Shipton's archive on jazz. No doubt that there are several options, particularly in the modern business era, but each must be test proofed to guarantee public access in the future. That means at least 50 years from now.

It would be a sin for them to be sold to Sky or to disappear into a university Department where they can only be listened to by students for research purposes. The latter has already happened too many times recently in my view.

I do agree on the point about broadcasting music in other languages generally. This wouldn't of course be resolved by a selection of identikit vocoder so-called R and B from every continent, although that would sadly be the most likely response. On festivals, I will read Ian's article. It sounds a little harsh on Celtic Connections but I am sure his arguments are characteristically well made.
          I'm sure that was just a little Southern-centric parochialism creeping in which led him to forget CC!

Maybe we could use this thread for other interesting archives?
          Last edited by Globaltruth; 17-03-12, 15:54.

Comment

Working...
          X