Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

<<'did not connect with the wider public'>>....funny that....

....shame....I always liked the idea of him....but was never sure who he really was....only time I saw him he was very drunk and bombed....
    bong ching

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

He had been unwell for a long time. There will never be another and, of course, memories too of John Peel tonight.

The Floppy Boot Stomp

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Ice Cream For Crow

Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band; directed by Don Van Vliet (with much uncredited assistance from producer Ken Schreiber), cinematography by Daniel Pearl...

Bat Chain Puller

Here it is - the last one there is from the French Chorus TV show 1980.
      Last edited by Guest; 18-12-10, 01:07.

Comment

• Martin Reynolds

Very sad news. Another one of the greats passes.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

One of the true greats marches on - only saw him once - in 1980 or so - perhaps the tightest band I ever saw and maybe the best harmonica player I ever saw. Wonderful! What a guy!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Martin and John - I completely agree. And going back to the "Faces" theme, what a tremendous photo that is - it really shows the person - but it is Corbijn so a kind of "atmospheric" reality is to be expected.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Bye bye, Captain !
              Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I like that picture too.
                Last edited by Guest; 18-12-10, 11:21.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Sad news about The Captain. He was inspirational, a musical adventurer and part of the soundtrack of my life at certain points. I was also lucky enough to see him in his full pomp.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Sad news indeed
                    I'm reminded of the drummer from the Magic Band in a documentary about the making of Trout Mask Replica
                    "we always thought Frank was weird, but Don was the real thing"

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

If there wasn't a Captain Beefheart you couldn't invent one. I hope that Don fan, Max, hasn't already pre-recorded all of the next six Late Junction episodes as the passing is best recognised sooner rather than later, imo.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

Yep....love his romantic stuff too....i guess two or three songs off Unconditionally Guarenteed would be said to be my and Mrs8th's "our songs"....and certain states of mind are described as "Bongo Fury"....
                        bong ching

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                          If there wasn't a Captain Beefheart you couldn't invent one. I hope that Don fan, Max, hasn't already pre-recorded all of the next six Late Junction episodes as the passing is best recognised sooner rather than later, imo.
                          In full agreement Paul - it would seem almost poor taste for LJ not to mention CB marching on during this week's shows, but that's the pre-recording business for you.

Nice Cerys did a tribute to the Captain on her show this morning - she had Lard on, but also played a bit of Peely talking about the Captain and then Mark told a rather good story about JP and the Captain in a mini. It's here, about an hour and a half in just after Jimi but before Doris.
                          Cerys speaks to Mark Riley to share stories and admiration for Captain Beefheart.

Comment

• Martin Reynolds

Thanks for that John. A nice little feature....and yes, great to hear JP's voice again.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Martin I suppose the thing is that I like the idea that Cerys battled through the snow to get in this morning. I mean imagine JP doing a show after CB had marched on and he didn't mention it 'cos it was recorded a couple of weeks earlier - inconceivable - that seems somehow to defeat the immediacy of music. Maybe it doesn't matter - but I sometimes get the impression that recorded shows are not even done in real time - I suppose a bit like Bob's Theme Time - you can even hear the join in the middle of links.
                              Although I imagine that plenty of AK's stuff didn't go out live, I always had the impression that the show was done in real time and not so far ahead that Andy couldn't respond to some upcoming gig or the recent departure of an old musical fave. Anyway, I'm sure it doesn't happen at the Cat, Martin.

Comment

Working...
                              X