X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Dory Previn

I see that Dory Previn has passed on - I suppose she'll be remembered as being the wronged wife of Andre and she wrote some fine songs on the back of it. She produced a couple of albums that for a period of my life were never far from the turntable.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • Lateralthinking1

Dory Previn turned up on a BBC4 singer-songwriter programme a while back. I think I had some sort of vague thought that she had been like Cleo Laine. Somewhat surprised then and still find her a bit of a mystery. Probably underrated generally. Not sure why.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      Dory Previn turned up on a BBC4 singer-songwriter programme a while back. I think I had some sort of vague thought that she had been like Cleo Laine. Somewhat surprised then and still find her a bit of a mystery. Probably underrated generally. Not sure why.
      Mythical Kings and Iguanas might be construed as bedsitter music Lat - limited lifespan and then she disappeared as the singer songwriter fashion diminished and interest in her broken marriage disappeared but some great songs - here's another.

She also wrote film music I seem to recall.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

I remember a friend with a very odd record collection [mostly Beefheart], and ol' Dory would come out as an antidote to Joni M....particularly remember one with a line about men having 'feet of clay'....what ever did she mean??
        bong ching

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          I remember a friend with a very odd record collection [mostly Beefheart], and ol' Dory would come out as an antidote to Joni M....particularly remember one with a line about men having 'feet of clay'....what ever did she mean??
          Well, she has made it onto Radio 4's Six O'Clock News. Would Joni Mitchell's "Night of the Iguana" on the excellent "Shine" cd be tentatively linked?

Comment

Working...
          X