• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Global Gathering - a valediction on WORLD RADIO DAY

Might seem odd to start a thread for a BBC programme that is about to be removed from the schedules....

But have a read of this fine article...

..and share your thoughts

Whilst remembering that today, 13th Feb is World Radio day

[Please note: I'm not Scottish; I leave all that sort of thing to JC ]
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    Might seem odd to start a thread for a BBC programme that is about to be removed from the schedules....

But have a read of this fine article...

..and share your thoughts
    Thanks for that Global - there's still nothing available in the papers except for the changes affecting the popular and long running Saturday morning programme which is stirring up a bit of a storm. I notice also a complaint that if there is going to be a cut there should be acknowledgement of gender bias. Anyway I shall keep an eye open - in fact I'm going to try to find out who I might be able to write to.......and, even more difficult, get a reply from.

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      Thanks for that Global - there's still nothing available in the papers
      Here's something in one of your papers, retweeted by Karine Polwart

Shame about the parochial nature of some of the comments following the articles though...

(one day JC you will be retweeting yourself...)

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Here's something in one of your papers, retweeted by Karine Polwart

Shame about the parochial nature of some of the comments following the articles though...

(one day JC you will be retweeting yourself...)
        Thanks for keeping me up to date with what's happening up here Global. I thought Paul was joking when he said they were replacing it with a classical music programme. If the one on at the moment on a Sunday on Scotty is anything to go by, well how they can change something unique for a batch of chocolate box nonsense with a patronising presenter? They ought to have their certificates checked out - whoever they happen to be! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007hqb5
        I'm off to post something which I hope won't be too parochial. Tweeting remains outside my skill level - haven't heard about 're-tweeting' but I think I get the gist; have heard of trending but don't know what it means.

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          Thanks for keeping me up to date with what's happening up here Global. I thought Paul was joking when he said they were replacing it with a classical music programme. If the one on at the moment on a Sunday on Scotty is anything to go by, well how they can change something unique for a batch of chocolate box nonsense with a patronising presenter? They ought to have their certificates checked out - whoever they happen to be! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007hqb5
          I'm off to post something which I hope won't be too parochial. Tweeting remains outside my skill level - haven't heard about 're-tweeting' but I think I get the gist; have heard of trending but don't know what it means.
          this remains a bonkers decision. Remember Radio London got rid of DJ Ritu too...

that comment certainly wasn't aimed at you; you & Oilrig are the least parochial Celts I know (on this forum ) .

and that's enough of the compliments (I think it's a compliment...) for today

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

this remains a bonkers decision. Remember Radio London got rid of DJ Ritu too...

that comment certainly wasn't aimed at you; you & Oilrig are the least parochial Celts I know (on this forum ) .

and that's enough of the compliments (I think it's a compliment...) for today
            Yep I was starting to get suspicious for a moment or two. Anyway, I stuck my tuppence worth at the foot of the article and I'm off to compose a bitta snail mail for the suits in Pacific Quay. Bonkers indeed, Global.

Comment

• Globaltruth
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I've read a fair old bit about this, but still haven't seen a reason for the cancellation.

Here's the 'reason' BBC Scotland gave

"BBC Radio Scotland features a wide range of Scottish and international music – including folk, traditional, and global music – elsewhere in its schedule. The station will continue to offer distinctive music across its evening schedule and is committed to promoting new music and Scottish artists within these programmes".
              So, does this mean after all the years of commitment to this programme, they suddenly realised that, Oh Crikey, they already had another programme with the same kind of music?

If so, and as an aficionado, JC maybe you can point me at this programme?

I'd certainly like to listen to it...

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

I've read a fair old bit about this, but still haven't seen a reason for the cancellation.

Here's the 'reason' BBC Scotland gave

So, does this mean after all the years of commitment to this programme, they suddenly realised that, Oh Crikey, they already had another programme with the same kind of music?

If so, and as an aficionado, JC maybe you can point me at this programme?

I'd certainly like to listen to it...
                I'd hate to think that I could get inside their heads, Global, but my assumption is that they think Travelling Folk is somehow the same kind of show. It had Archie Fisher presenting it for years and was very much a Scottish Folk programme promoting mostly Scottish and Irish folk and US visitors and telling you where you could go to listen to it - so they do do a bit of the Celtic though they're closer to the Corries and the MacCalmans than they are to even Karine Polwart - this week they're interviewing Jerry Douglas. The present presenter isn't brilliant in my opinion. They also occasionally run a different strand with Barbara Dickson, from time to time - that's really very much old time folk - I occasionally delve but seldom too deeply. Travelling Folk may occasionally dip their toe into World Music that might run to some Cape Breton or a spot of Cajun - in fact their idea of world might be to give Imagined Village a spin ( though it would be unusual) - have a look at last week's show.

No other show on Scotty that I can think of goes anywhere near World Music. I am more appalled by the replacement with a two-bit Classical effort, which as I said earlier, if Sunday's 12 minutes that I managed to endure is anything to go by means that some of these schedulers need to join Glasgow Rangers in Administration cos they are bankrupt of ideas, never mind taste and interest in future music.
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 15-02-12, 17:50. Reason: decided one :grr: wasn't enough!

Comment

• Globaltruth
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

I've been asked by a regular poster on these boards to bring this petition to your attention

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

I've been asked by a regular poster on these boards to bring this petition to your attention

http://www.change.org/petitions/bbc-...ring-programme
                    Thanks Global - I'll pass it around my extremely extensive social network - how's the reetpetweeting going by the way?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    Last edited by johncorrigan; 15-02-12, 23:39. Reason: missed the essential w!

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>how's the reetpeteeting going by the way?

Oooooooooo weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I've just caught up with this thread and have signed the petition.

On my armchair tour of radio stations last year, I listened to Travelling Folk. Without wishing to be unkind, I didn't like the content or the presentation, not that I would advocate its removal. Barbara Dickson on the other hand has a very nice way.

Really though it has to be Mary Ann Kennedy first, then Ricky Ross and I guess a bit of Iain Anderson, doesn't it, although John you mentioned that the latter had been there since when was it? 1863? Whatever the case, take my word for it. Until now, you have had it so much better than Wales and you really don't want to reverse in that direction!

It is sad this though. The reason given to date by the BBC in Scotland sounds identical to that given in England for the abolition of local folk programmes in the North and Midlands, ie the music will be incorporated in the daytime. Nobody buys it there, nor should you north of the border.

Seeing that an "englishy" Travelling Folk is the sort of programme that is being lost here, I just wonder whether Global Gathering is the target rather than Travelling Folk because politically they just wouldn't try to cut something very Scots. If so, it would be most unfair.

(By the way, did World Radio Day happen in these islands?)
                        Last edited by Guest; 19-02-12, 21:05. Reason: Habari! Se mole ko pelu e? Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod!

Comment

• Globaltruth
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                          I've just caught up with this thread and have signed the petition.

On my armchair tour of radio stations last year, I listened to Travelling Folk. Without wishing to be unkind, I didn't like the content or the presentation, not that I would advocate its removal. Barbara Dickson on the other hand has a very nice way.

Really though it has to be Mary Ann Kennedy first, then Ricky Ross and I guess a bit of Iain Anderson, doesn't it, although John you mentioned that the latter had been there since when was it? 1863? Whatever the case, take my word for it. Until now, you have had it so much better than Wales and you really don't want to reverse in that direction!

It is sad this though. The reason given to date by the BBC in Scotland sounds identical to that given in England for the abolition of local folk programmes in the North and Midlands, ie the music will be incorporated in the daytime. Nobody buys it there, nor should you north of the border.

Seeing that an "englishy" Travelling Folk is the sort of programme that is being lost here, I just wonder whether Global Gathering is the target rather Travelling Folk because politically they just wouldn't try to cut something very Scots. If so, it would be most unfair.

(By the way, did World Radio Day happen in these islands?)
                          Here's some more impassioned words, another link, same petition, a FaceBook thing and the email address of the BBC Big Head of Radio Scotland who chopped the show

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Here's some more impassioned words, another link, same petition, a FaceBook thing and the email address of the BBC Big Head of Radio Scotland who chopped the show
                            http://myworldmusicfriends.com/artic...cotland-global
                            I've had no internet the last couple of days - strangely quiet it was. Thanks for the link Global - I have my letter just about ready - I'm going to send it snail - somehow I feel it's harder to ignore the stamp - I'm going to CC it to the local MP who used to be in Runrig, see if he fancies doing anything. I was interested in your comments Lat - as I have said before and will say to the Boss guy, Radio Scotland is justifiably proud of its connection to Celtic Connections and to close Global Gathering, which opens Radio Scotty to the world is a so short sighted - I wonder if he even listens to Mary Ann. Anyway, I'm trying to keep a cool head on the matter.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Here, courtesy of PS from another thread, is a pic of Jeff Zycinski, head of BBC Radio Scotland.

I think I may have to have my thread admin tools sharpened if I suggested a caption competition..

Comment

Working...
                              X