Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I always thought Jack Bruce's many gifts were best served on his 1971 album "Harmony Row": as songwriter, lyricist and multi-instrumentalist. He was a highly individual harmonist. One one song on that LP - can't recall which at the mo - some repetitive piano figurations alerted me to the possibility that Keith Tippett had contributed to the session, but Keith told me no. For me, however, Jack's best ever singing was on "Escalator over the Hill".

S-A

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

He said: “Various things happened there, including being sexually assaulted by the composition teacher.

“In those days, that was something that you just didn’t talk about. You just kept quiet, but it really put me off. He was a friend or associate of Benjamin Britten. Say no more.”
      Bruce, 68, was clearly uncomfortable speaking about the episode in the Sixties when he was studying cello and piano as second instrument.
      He said: “I found it all very middle class. If you were working-class lad in those days, you just didn’t fit in. They would say you had no chance, forget it. At least, they were honest about it.”
      hmmmm in Britain of yore to refer to predatory pederasts and the class system was to draw a distinction without a difference eh .....
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        I always thought Jack Bruce's many gifts were best served on his 1971 album "Harmony Row": as songwriter, lyricist and multi-instrumentalist. He was a highly individual harmonist. One one song on that LP - can't recall which at the mo - some repetitive piano figurations alerted me to the possibility that Keith Tippett had contributed to the session, but Keith told me no. For me, however, Jack's best ever singing was on "Escalator over the Hill".

S-A
        Well amen to that - I thought I was the only one on this forum who was partial to that 3 album set. His singing is excellent, there is some rather good 'World Music' and not a little out and out oddness. I posted a link to a site where you could download it for free on the Jass forum - via ubuweb I think..

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I think I flagged up a while back that Cerys was off to interview Jack Bruce.

This show is now being aired on Sunday 4 March 10-12

Apologies for short post and general low posting quantity lately, a tad busy...

Anyway, as a distraction, which one of these did JB play I wonder?
          Last edited by Globaltruth; 27-02-12, 15:58.

Comment

Working...
          X