• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Sherratt
    • Sep 2024

Goodbye Etta James

Goodbye Etta James ...
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

More to follow
  • Anna

One of my favourites. There will be loads of obits but here is one from The Guardian.
    Blues and soul singer with a raw, emotional vocal style

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Sad but not unexpected news. She will still be recalled in 50 years time when memories of more commercial artists have faded.

Etta James Dreamer 2011Track 11 Let Me Down EasyComposer: James Milton Campbell Jr.Etta James Retires With "The Dreamer"The great Etta James has been a mu...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

a great r&b artist and also Johnny Otis who passed away in the last few days
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Another loss of a great singer.

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Must admit I had never heard of Etta James, but am struck by how much she sounds like Dinah Washington, one of my favourite singers. Would the latter have had an influence on the former's development as a singer? Sorry if that's a daft question.
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

would appear so pianorak ... both were very influential in their times
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                would appear so pianorak ...
                Blimey!!
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

one can not sum up an artist but this is an excellent over view of ms James work

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                    one can not sum up an artist but this is an excellent over view of ms James work
                    Can't argue with that except to add 'Somthing's got a hold on me' and 'Tell Mama'.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Can't argue with that except to add 'Somthing's got a hold on me' and 'Tell Mama'.
                      ....and maybe 'The Man I love' - with sax by Red Holloway who died mid March. Paul Jones remembered him this evening on his show. Great playing by Mr Holloway on a terrific version of the song.

The Man I Love performed by Etta James From the album Mystery Lady: Songs of Billie Holiday

Comment

Working...
                      X