X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1
    • Jun 2024

Cesaria Evora RIP

Singer Cesaria Evora, dubbed the 'Barefoot Diva' for performing without shoes, dies in her native Cape Verde at the age of 70.

Cesária Évora, a canção "Lucy" a partir do álbum "La Diva Aux Pieds Nus" 1988.Cesária Évora, the song "Lucy" from the album "La Diva Aux Pieds Nus" 1988.

Primera vezQu'm ba na Rebera Grande'M passa sabeFui dente dum reservadoOh nho Antone EscaderodeEscaderode,EscaderodeOh nho Antone EscaderodeEscaderode,Escade...
    Last edited by Guest; 18-12-11, 12:37.
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post

Singer Cesaria Evora, dubbed the 'Barefoot Diva' for performing without shoes, dies in her native Cape Verde at the age of 70.

Cesária Évora, a canção "Lucy" a partir do álbum "La Diva Aux Pieds Nus" 1988.Cesária Évora, the song "Lucy" from the album "La Diva Aux Pieds Nus" 1988.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGj77...eature=related
    That fills me with enormous sadness - one of my very favourite voices - she has left behind great music. I know she retired earlier this year...oh I am sorry to hear this.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Thank you John for those touching comments. She is one of many performers I always associate with CG. It actually seems longer than 21 months ago that he sadly left us. Cesaria had retired through ill health so her death was not a surprise. It is such a pity though because her voice was wonderful - understated and yet full of personality. These, I think, were traits reflected respectively in her demeanour and her face.

The other thing I would mention is that she was in that rare category of artists for whom big success came late. There is a feeling of gratitude as a listener that it came at all, deserved though it was, and the thought that for this reason she should have had the opportunity to perform longer. Nevertheless it was a fine career and - I am not sure if I am allowed to do this but I am going to - here are two pieces from somewhere else that speak about her far better than I could ever do:

Ian - "Her music (and that of her compatriots) is so familiar now that some may forget the impact that first hearing her had. Somewhere at the beginning of the 90s I did a couple of Saturdays sitting in for Paul Jones on his 4 hour Saturday mid-day blues show on Jazz FM and decided that once in each hour I'd play a world music track that had a bluesy feel - all the obvious ones like Ali FT, Baobab's Utru Horas, some rembetika, and Cesaria whose Miss Perfumado album had just become available on import from France. I remember Stern's, who were the importers, telling me that each time I played her, the West End shops were cleared of her CDs by Monday lunchtime.

And the phones rang off the hook at Jazz FM, which helped me successfully pitch for the Sunday evening "World Routes" show (name subsequently pinched by R3) which ran for a year. And the next event in that chain was that just before World Routes got axed, I'd got Charlie to sit in for me a couple of times when I was away - after he'd been off air for a year or two post-Capital - which I believe gave him the bug for getting back on air again shortly afterwards. So there are extra things to thank Cesaria for apart from her wonderful music".

CG - http://www.charliegillett.com/playlist.php?date=29May04
      Last edited by Guest; 19-12-11, 19:20.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Thanks for those links Lat - such an ease in her rhythmic voice. Here's a great one with Salif Keita from spotty.
        Salif Keita, Cesária Evora · Song · 2011

Comment

• handsomefortune

an ease

definitely!

effortless, and incredibly relaxed/ing.

Comment

• geofflikesmusic

Had not heard Cesaria Evora music before this thread.

But have listened and it is very nice. Sad to hear she has now passed away.

Comment

• Globaltruth
              Host
              • Nov 2010

This is perhaps her best known track

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

She was a good 'un.

Comment

Working...
                X