X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

celtic connect

Here's a link to the 2012 Celtic Connections.
    Glasgow’s annual folk, roots and world music festival, Celtic Connections celebrates Celtic music and its connections to cultures across the globe.

I see Vieux Farka Toure and Orchestra Baobab are displaying their celtic roots this year. There's also some Bela Fleck; Martin Simpson with June Tabor and Dick Gaughan; Ms Veirs is heres; Mary Ann's doing a couple of shows; Mary Gauthier; and Martha Reeves and the Vandellas among others hoping to heat Scotland up in late Jan, early Feb.
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for this JC - seems strange to look ahead at the moment but about now is the right time to decide whether to go or not.

So far definitely - undecided.

Martha & the Vans not an attraction for me it has to be said.

Bela Fleck on the other hand...And MAK
    Last edited by Globaltruth; 06-11-11, 21:34. Reason: Maybe yes, maybe no

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      Bela Fleck on the other hand...And MAK
      Bela Fleck was a great addition to the Transatlantic Sessions this series - I think I'll go join the queue Global - it just seems such a long way away.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Wot. No Jackie Leven and Mick Marra?

Overall, this looks like a B double plus bill. Pretty good. I would endorse the comments on Bela Fleck. On the basis of what I witnessed in Croydon last year, I'd say that Martha's voice has largely gone but her sheer spirit still really makes it work for her. Unfortunately we had to endure a backing tape. It would be outrageous if there were no musicians for her at CC .

Good to see Rab Noakes still treading the boards. "My friends girl, she has a wireless aerial sticking out of her head, and a pile of true romances lying underneath the bed, and a giant poster of Rabby Nookes just beside the door, but I know she'll get along fine without him if it doesn't see her anymore".

I don't know the Bevvy Sisters who will be accompanying the Unthanks. One stand out for me is Ana Moura who I like more than Mariza, maybe even much more. Another is CW Stoneking. Then, Solo Cissokho - erm perhaps we should be looking at Cissokhos as well as Diabates when it comes to dynasties - with Diamara and McGoldrick. Could be good but it might be fusion overload.

The Mull Historical Society guy, Colin, who I have seen live a couple of times, is talented, crackers and waning slightly. He might well need this high profile event to properly establish himself in a longer term niche.

I also like the look of some of the exclusives. Woody at 100, the tribute to Gerry Rafferty and perhaps particularly the celebration of the well good Linn record label at 40. Will we hear The Blue Nile as never before?
        Last edited by Guest; 09-11-11, 03:50.

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          Wot. No Jackie Leven and Mick Marra?

Overall, this looks like a B double plus bill. Pretty good. I would endorse the comments on Bela Fleck. On the basis of what I witnessed in Croydon last year, I'd say that Martha's voice has largely gone but her sheer spirit still really makes it work for her. Unfortunately we had to endure a backing tape. It would be outrageous if there were no musicians for her at CC .

Good to see Rab Noakes still treading the boards. "My friends girl, she has a wireless aerial sticking out of her head, and a pile of true romances lying underneath the bed, and a giant poster of Rabby Nookes just beside the door, but I know she'll get along fine without him if it doesn't see her anymore".

I don't know the Bevvy Sisters who will be accompanying the Unthanks. One stand out for me is Ana Moura who I like more than Mariza, maybe even much more. Another is CW Stoneking. Then, Solo Cissokho - erm perhaps we should be looking at Cissokhos as well as Diabates when it comes to dynasties - with Diamara and McGoldrick. Could be good but it might be fusion overload.

The Mull Historical Society guy, Colin, who I have seen live a couple of times, is talented, crackers and waning slightly. He might well need this high profile event to properly establish himself in a longer term niche.

I also like the look of some of the exclusives. Woody at 100, the tribute to Gerry Rafferty and perhaps particularly the celebration of the well good Linn record label at 40. Will we hear The Blue Nile as never before?
          I enjoyed this post, thanks Lat.
          Your main comment I would like to investigate further is around the whole question of 'fusion'. I don't think we've done this for a bit (or ever?).

At Musicpot (yes, that's why I'm posting on the Celtic Conns thread..) the groups I enjoyed the most were both 'fusion'.

Are there any fusion combinations that just wouldn't work? In this case, the combo of African + Spanish and African + Celtic/Nordic worked extremely well..this was definitely a fusion of content as well as style.
          Are there any cases where fusion most defnitely shouldn't happen? I was thinking of secular music but can't really see any reason why not.

I feel a playlist coming on - although it may be tricky...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Thanks for the good words GT. This is a quick response (on a return from Morrisons) before I try to come back with something more considered. Like JC, I am a fan of Karen Matheson. I also liked the Delirium CD by Capercaillie but I can understand why he is less keen. McGoldrick tends to jazz it all up quite a bit so arguably the purity of Matheson is lost in that band which of course features both of them.

There are a lot of potential angles as you will appreciate. Afro Celts and their ilk are on one. Perhaps a CD like "Ko-Yan" by Salif Keita is another, with the French makeover, not that it is labelled "collaboration". There are probably even a couple of things going on in my head with the word fusion too, albeit vaguely - the fusing or coming together of diverse musicians and also jazz fusion even if the latter would generally apply loosely - Lat.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Thanks for the good words GT. This is a quick response (on a return from Morrisons) before I try to come back with something more considered. Like JC, I am a fan of Karen Matheson. I also liked the Delirium CD by Capercaillie but I can understand why he is less keen. McGoldrick tends to jazz it all up quite a bit so arguably the purity of Matheson is lost in that band which of course features both of them.

There are a lot of potential angles as you will appreciate. Afro Celts and their ilk are on one. Perhaps a CD like "Ko-Yan" by Salif Keita is another, with the French makeover, not that it is labelled "collaboration". There are probably even a couple of things going on in my head with the word fusion too, albeit vaguely - the fusing or coming together of diverse musicians and also jazz fusion even if the latter would generally apply loosely - Lat.
              ...actually Lat I'm probably not a KM fan - I love the odd song here and there - I love that Irish Gaelic song she does, perhaps the saddest song I've ever heard - I think she has a very fine voice though I'm much less keen on her song choice. Capercaillie never have done it for me.

One bit of fusion I really liked which I was extremely surprised at was during Womad's broadcasts this year - Omar Puente and Hari Sivansen, if the old memory serves me right - crackin' stuff and Omar sounded like a real card as well - as unlikely a winning combination as I am going to hear perhaps.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

The link to Celtic Connections - 2013 - http://www.celticconnections.com/eve...s/default.aspx

Comment

• Globaltruth
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

The link to Celtic Connections - 2013 - http://www.celticconnections.com/eve...s/default.aspx
                  Always something surprising ( amongst a lot of predictables)

I think this particular Ed will intrigue a few doughty Celts

I loved that Choochtown album...he's a fine, uncompromising real storyteller

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

i was thinking of posting something daft like " I see its in scotland again", and then i thought....wouldn't it be great to have some similar festival further south in winter. Perhaps there is something. Mind you, the wickham easter festival has struggles, and they had good line ups.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

We've neglected this disgracefully, and it's been over for ages now. I blame the fact that our roving report JC wasnt able to get there.

Anyway here's a good starting place
                      Folk, country, jazz and rock all feature in this series of live shows from the Green Room

Featuring, but not limited to:

Karine Polwart
                      and/or
                      22 minutes of Loudon's daughter

....there's more...

Comment

• Oilrig

And here was me thinking you didn't love me any more!

CC was glorious - loved the last show especially (sound magician, James Birtwhistle deserves a medal for dealing with an entire Breton pipe band!) but will be looking for a new home for the shows I think - the Green Room was grand but a little disconnected compared to previous year - woudl love to hear your thoughts if you were there?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oilrig View Post
                          And here was me thinking you didn't love me any more!

CC was glorious - loved the last show especially (sound magician, James Birtwhistle deserves a medal for dealing with an entire Breton pipe band!) but will be looking for a new home for the shows I think - the Green Room was grand but a little disconnected compared to previous year - woudl love to hear your thoughts if you were there?
                          I was a bit scunnered at the weather scuppering my trip to see Bassekou Kouyate and hearing him on Lopa the other night just reinforced the scunneration, Oilrig.
                          Lauren MacColl & Calum Stewart's 'Crow Road Croft' was one of my tracks of 2012 so it was great to hear them though Petunia and the Vipers were not my scene. I missed the middle Wo3 week. I heard a few of the Radio Scotland shows, though as I've said elsewhere, my highlight was probably John Murry on Americana on Scotty with a raw and honest performance which had your colleague rocking on his heels a bit - just a stripped down performance from Murry and a pianist; far better than his record, I thought, which is a bit overproduced for my liking. I did enjoy the young musician of the year on Scotty and even watched some on Alba - a bit more varied instrumentally and male than last year, but for the 2nd year in a row I failed to pick the winner.

Comment

Working...
                          X