• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

RIP Dennis Cahill 1954-2022

One of the founding members of The Gloaming, Dennis Cahill was born in Chicago in 1954 to immigrant parents from Dingle, Co Kerry.
    He began playing guitar at the age of nine, and studied at the Chicago Music College.

From the 80's onwards he was one of the most respected guitarists in the Irish traditional music world; after experimenting with many genres he always seemed most comfortable in that realm.

He frequently collaborated with Martin Hayes and here they are playing The Lament for Limerick:

Simply spreading the word. Please do buy the CD, it's a beautiful piece. For tour dates: http://www.martinhayes.com/concerts/

• Padraig
    • Feb 2013

What a contribution he made to music making, not least to Irish music making. His collaboration with Martin Hayes in the Lament for Limerick, selected by Global here, says more about the Treaty of Limerick than the history books.

RIP Dennis Cahill.

Worth finding: The Martin Hayes Quartet, The Blue Room.
    Last edited by Padraig; 24-06-22, 14:09.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

So sad to hear this news. I saw the pair of them in Perth a couple of years ago where they were the support act. Of course, for me they blew everything else away with the unassuming beauty of their playing. Dennis was the quiet guy on stage, as he seemed to be when I saw The Gloaming, but there was never doubt about the brilliance of his playing.

Comment

Working...
      X