• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post

I'm fond of St Just as well. Those scurrilous comments about everyone in the town being related are a little unfair .. St Ives is wonderful and the north coast road is, as you say, spectacular. The Tinners Arms, Zennor, a good place to rest up too ...
    Right, I'm always up for a bit of a laugh but this sophisticated attempt by you two to persuade JC that Cornwall actually exists has really gone far enough.

In actual fact JC, Cornwall is (possibly) a floating island, popularised by an Irishman a few years ago and often used as an allegory and a country-wide joke, as opposed to a holiday destination.

Many other people have fallen for this trick heading off 'Cornwall - Down South' and ending up sitting in terrific jams on motorways for hours (days sometimes) before they realised they were attempting to arrive at somewhere that had moved. Or maybe doesn't exist.

It's inhabitants move the island about in a mysterious way (perhaps magnetic levitation), so you never know actually where it is - but be assured that there is no corn and no wall on this small island. Even if you do try and clamber aboard, you will be repelled by a deadly combination of peculiar dense dairy product and overstuffed greasy pasties.

The island always floats in Southern climes.

The population are mad on music and technology but don't use their knowledge for anything else than sybaritic pleasuring of their senses. They are very keen to keep the place to themselves

A public service post courtesy of GlobalTruth

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

That Globaltruth is mainly a grotesque exaggeration. You'll be saying that The Mermaid Of Zennor is fiction next !

See !
      Now I'll let you in to a secret. There is a way to get in to that country. Our trick is to sneak up to it very late on a Saturday night when the
      inhabitants are involved in their weekly traditions - drive fast and don't be tempted off the A30 !

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Well, one of the best kept national secrets is that Surrey is a floating car. When we fancy a holiday, we just start up the ignition and the world's our oyster. We try at least once a year to get to the fantasy isle of Cornwall.

The only drawback is Plymouth. Inevitably we are delayed in getting seabound by the hundreds of VW camper vans being turned back there. All because, quote, "it apparently doesn't exist". But that, I guess, is Essex in a nutshell.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
          Right, I'm always up for a bit of a laugh but this sophisticated attempt by you two to persuade JC that Cornwall actually exists has really gone far enough.

In actual fact JC, Cornwall is (possibly) a floating island, popularised by an Irishman a few years ago and often used as an allegory and a country-wide joke, as opposed to a holiday destination.

Many other people have fallen for this trick heading off 'Cornwall - Down South' and ending up sitting in terrific jams on motorways for hours (days sometimes) before they realised they were attempting to arrive at somewhere that had moved. Or maybe doesn't exist.

It's inhabitants move the island about in a mysterious way (perhaps magnetic levitation), so you never know actually where it is - but be assured that there is no corn and no wall on this small island. Even if you do try and clamber aboard, you will be repelled by a deadly combination of peculiar dense dairy product and overstuffed greasy pasties.

The island always floats in Southern climes.

The population are mad on music and technology but don't use their knowledge for anything else than sybaritic pleasuring of their senses. They are very keen to keep the place to themselves

A public service post courtesy of GlobalTruth
          Sounds like a winner to me GT - you say they have traffic jams - good sign of popularity - Edinburgh's got them too. I assume it is also much like Auld Reekie in that the residents abandon the place a couple of times a year and let their property for very affordable sums to the culture craving multitudes - that's thoughtfulness for you.
          I have also often found myself lost in Edinburgh - streets move; mist descends; pavements come up to meet you; memory momentarily gone - coming to on the Mound as though dropped there - Arthur's Seat (how did I get up here?) - sounds like there's a mystical link there?
          Of course I know why Paul likes it down in CW - it's country and it's western innit? Yeeha!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

During morning shopping, I was suddenly struck by the feeling that the visual gag above had been used before by Mr S. If so, my apologies. What with this, and Chris Wood on repeat, I think my head has temporarily gone back to May but the world was then more recognizable.
            Last edited by Guest; 15-01-11, 13:51.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

John,
              There are popular traffic jams and THEN there is the Cornish variety - but we've never been in one - even on a Bank Holiday weekend. There are also,
              slightly worryingly, a number of C&W clubs, including one in the intriguingly named ' Indian Queens ' Good Nick Lowe was intrigued too. But let him explain
              looooong, funny introTuesday, October 2, 2007Safari Sams, Los Angeles, CAThis is not the Troubadour, this is at a now-closed club - Safari Sams in Los Angel...

Lat,

It is a double-take of that llama. Can't remember why it was used before but I think it got modded !

Comment

• Globaltruth
                Host
                • Nov 2010

FT returns tomorrow. Here's a preview, words only... (does she really mean that Steve Miller? With that Lol Coxhill??)
                upcoming FT

We actually saw (stumbled into) a concert by A Filetta in a church in Corsica..just your ordinary polyphonic music concert series. Wow. Espcially outdoors under a starry sky with some fine local wine (and some rather nice savoury pasty things - wonder what they were called?)

Mind you, we also saw an incident with a couple of Corsican chaps and huge knives, but didn't hang round long enough to see that end of that particular spectacle - even more wow...espcially as one of them was walking behind us for a bit mumbling to himself. That's the problem with being a tourist innit, lack of context?
                Back home, I'd just think it was Mr. Ash on his way home from a bit of hedge-trimming.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>Here's a preview, words only

and that 'rarity ' World Standard ' I wonder whatever happened to them ? One of the most memorable packages I've ever received was their
                  cd - divinely wrapped from their Japanese lady rep person whose email address was ' snowdrop ' etc.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

A warm welcome back Mr Sherratt. It must take you seven hours or something to drive all that way. Still, it must be nice to see the sea on a regular basis, particularly in a truly independent country like Cornwall.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Thanks Lat. It's just under five hours as we only travel off-peak hours. And that north coast is addictive as a bunch of our friends discovered
                      at the weekend, this beach, Porth Kidney Sands, being a short stroll away ...

In an ego massaging curiosity moment I asked goggle to check out what I'd been up to with World Standard.
                      There were a few plays but I'd completely forgotten about this effort

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Hey Global - I thought you might be interested in this which I heard a while back on JC on 6 music on a Sunday - I liked this one

- it comes from a found tapes site and they seem to have a weekly special - my problem is that it can take a bit of time for things to load up but there's some rather strange things in here - can't think why you came to mind when I was listening.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          Hey Global - I thought you might be interested in this which I heard a while back on JC on 6 music on a Sunday - I liked this one

- it comes from a found tapes site and they seem to have a weekly special - my problem is that it can take a bit of time for things to load up but there's some rather strange things in here - can't think why you came to mind when I was listening.
                          This looks terrific - tx.

May be a home for those boxes of C90's I hung onto after getting them painfully converted them to mp3. I'm pretty sure those Buddy Holly bootlegs are rare...wonder where they are though?

I do know people who still use them - you can google plunderphonics and Cassette Boy if remotely interested.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

One of my radio highlights of the week was Yat-Kha — The way my poetry should go, the opening track of Tuesday LJ. I went back for a couple more listens - throat singing set in something that sounds like a combination of Tom Waits and Wanderin' Star - it worked for me. Top notch!

Comment

• Globaltruth
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

And for me, the highlight of the week (so far - off to some live music tonight - The Keltones) was FT's Thursday night show - flawless. she established a mood at the beginning and maintained it throughout - I won't attempt to describe the mood, why not listen to it...?
                              FT playlist 31/3/11

Comment

• Globaltruth
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Hmm, if you're only going to listen to one of FT's LJs make sure it is Tuesday. Mainly because she plays a Juana Molina track; Ms Molina gave up a career as Argentina's most popular satirical comedienne to pursue her love of this music.
                                She was booed and mocked at first, she moved to LA for a bit, but is now back in Buenos Aires I think.
                                I guess the reason FT played her is because she has a single UK tour date.
                                I hope she gets more exposure in this country but suspect I know the result....anyway I won't even try to describe her sound...Other than to tell you it's hypnotic, fascinating, & excellent
                                Last edited by Globaltruth; 25-06-11, 18:09. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Working...
                                X