Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Thursday night with Fiona - a real cracker!

Bartok, Abram Wilson, Erland Dahlen and John Paul Jones.

But this technique of distorting the sound and introducing background noise, much beloved of pop groups - as though listening to a badly tuned receiver. Jones and Dahlen were doing it at times- wished they wouldn't.

Comment

• handsomefortune

Jones and Dahlen

were looping stuff on a pedal, to provide a start point to improvise round ....i thought only one track heavy going/unlistenable, ( a cymbal loop) but the rest pretty good.

i also enjoyed sidsel endreson's collaborations, the neneh cherry track (apart from her pop vox), garth knox (on fiddle) and sylvain lemetre (percusion), and some dubussy played by alexei lubimov.

fiona didn't talkington too much (thankfully).

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Never a surprise these days, I suppose, but Paul did mention James Parkin elsewhere and who is Fiona celebrating this week but various of his recordings from World Routes. Haven't heard the whole show but she had a really terrific first half (holiday's done her good)- the dusty bluebells took me right back to the playground, and that first bit overtone singing courtesy of Mr P's recording was wonderful.
        By the way, the Ayers/Leggett track came from a live recording made by Radio 1 back in '72 - hard to imagine that R1'd ever do anything like this these days.
        Mind you I'm not keen on A&TJ - don't get it.
        Last edited by johncorrigan; 26-09-12, 11:57. Reason: forgot about the johnstons

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Saw JP a few weeks back, John. The sales of the World Routes cd have been strong enough for the label, Nascente, to ask for another collection to be compiled.
          Very satisfying news that. A good thing in this continuously dodgy planet.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
            Saw JP a few weeks back, John. The sales of the World Routes cd have been strong enough for the label, Nascente, to ask for another collection to be compiled.
            Very satisfying news that. A good thing in this continuously dodgy planet.

http://static.bbci.co.uk/programmeim...c94b8d4fbd.jpg
            Still really enjoying that first collection, Paul - great sleeve notes too.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

More delights courtesy of James Parkin's recordings on last night's LJ - the Madagascan track very beautiful with a good wee story.

Global, I don't think you shouldn't miss Kroumata performing 'Xenakis: Metaux, from Pléiades' - it seemed to me to be right up your street - most enjoyable.

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

FT remains my favourite R3 presenter, on account of her wide ranging musical tastes, with some bias towards Jazz and Contemporary Music.

The Xenakis piece was great, we should hear more of him. But I felt Thursday night was a bit uneven, with some muzak pieces - the bar music in Katmandu - was that genuine Nepalese music, or more likelya globalised musical style picked up from YouTube?

But overall, I much prefer LJ and World Routes on IPlayer to scouring YouTube for my favourite artists of yesteryear. They quickly lose their former attractions.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  More delights courtesy of James Parkin's recordings on last night's LJ - the Madagascan track very beautiful with a good wee story.

Global, I don't think you shouldn't miss Kroumata performing 'Xenakis: Metaux, from Pléiades' - it seemed to me to be right up your street - most enjoyable.
                  Thanks JC, I take your recommendations seriously & will do so...we've been up a few streets today.

Comment

• handsomefortune

i listened to thursday's lj .... because i remembered oddball said it was going to be a cracker - but i didn't look at the date of oddball's messsage, not that it mattered at all!

Comment

• Globaltruth
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Well blow me down, I also just listened to that Thursday show and who pops up?

you guessed it - Sam Lee.

The r3 team clearly need help, or perhaps we should simply nurture this Tota-LEE obsession....

So here are some other Lee's for the r3 team to consider....

The first censored rock n roll record to be a n°1 hit

The late great Peggy Lee, a favorite of mine (I'm a huge Jazz fan). Peggy was a singer in The Benny Goodman Orchestra before going solo. You may also know ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Apache by CP Lee with Fender 63 Vintage Strat and modified Meazzi Echomatic 304 output to vintage Goodmans Audiom speaker - Video by Zoom Q3HD

The NIU Chinese Music Ensemble http://www.niu.edu/Music/ensembles/worldmus.shtml performing the traditional An Hui folk tune Feng Yang Flower Drum Dance, arr...

(other, more obvious Lee's are available - 'Scratch', & Hooker to name but several)

Oh Paul - re that faux shot of me & Mrs GT, this one, in our best hats, taken a while ago, is much closer...I'm a little worried about the Ronaldo looky-likey in worrying proximity but he seems a tad distracted.
                      Last edited by Globaltruth; 08-10-12, 16:08.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                        The r3 team clearly need help, or perhaps we should simply nurture this Tota-LEE obsession....]
                        I'm going the other way, Global.
                        "I don't leave the house much, I don't like being around people, Makes me nervous and weird"Song: Things the Grandchildren Should KnowArtist: Eels

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                        I'm a little worried about the Ronaldo looky-likey in worrying proximity but he seems a tad distracted.
                        I'd be more concerned about the hand emanating from Mrs G's neck and nickin' that old guy's fag, if I was you.
                        Last edited by johncorrigan; 09-10-12, 10:20. Reason: the old neck hand routine!

Comment

• Globaltruth
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

eely good

I'm going the other way, Global.
                          "I don't leave the house much, I don't like being around people, Makes me nervous and weird"Song: Things the Grandchildren Should KnowArtist: Eels
                          A cracking track JC - or should that be a kcart gnikcarc?

Comment

• handsomefortune

btw am i correct in thinking that there's shortly to be some ray bradbury somewhere on the beeb air waves?

I'd be more concerned about the hand emanating from Mrs G's neck and nickin' that old guy's fag, if I was you.
                            have you tried e mailing The Controller.....? it needs stamping out i tell you...a raft of root and branch ch ch changes! mr and mrs g are clearly a very handsome couple, and don't need a hand interfering.

from fiona's show on thursday, personally i liked taiseer elias brothers, the r3 new gen artist, trish clowes, and wu aa 'flowing water' made a pleasant surprise. susanna wallumrod was intriguing, but then i looked her up and heard what, to my ears, sounded suspiciously like tedious conservative US popular music. (perhaps i simply picked the wrong tracks)? but as a result of my quick serach, i found this http://bombsite.com/issues/120

last night, i really enjoyed 'late junction', but now i look at the track list today, i realise that at the very mention of beeb's fest of ruddy piano tunes ...i must've promptly fell asleep. but earlier last night, i fell in love with 'mermaid' tbh.

surprising really, as i'd been listening to mathew sweet sweating about james bond, who all guests, bar a chinese? one, apparently thought was 'marvellous'. one geust even thought that james bond would endure for 'another couple of decades'!! it was imo absolutely dire radio, and mr sweet should be banned from the airwaves till he gets some better material to discuss. (perhaps someone might pop this point into any letters, sightings of The Controller along with a complaint about the wandering fag nicker)?

incidentally, the choir of gonville & caius college & cambridge / choir of kings college london, (the penultimate track played last night on lj) might make a fittingly scarey sound track to accompany the grim bbc news, thjs far this week .....what with the wayward vandals, exceptionally seedy dj and (possibly) a famous comedian, accused of violence, and even hid his partner's dvds allegedly, 'in case she fancied the men starring in them'....there's even a bit in the choir music that fits the sheer melancholy of the auction today, of the old 'radio times' found in a cupboard ..... so very boyish, and hastily drawn in hb pencil. i wonder who will buy the whole collection?

what went wrong eh?! no wonder i am resorting to the beguiling beauty of the sound of 'mermaid'.

bhuddist japenese flute, 'the braying of the deer' was fabulous too - (last track on verity's show last night)....apparently, in part, performed by a 'richard stag'...snort....(sorry, sheer coincidence....irresistible none the less, but you get so used to people just making things up these days! after which they sometimes write 'simples'.....which i believe originates from the tellybubble)?

lastly, should anyone have coffee with The Controller, please mention that i have no objection to 'through the night' content whatsoever. but (for the umpteenth time) can the theme tune be separated by some speaking .......or something, anything.... perhaps pips?? the theme comes crashing in after most of my favourite jazz, world etc programmes - it's completely unfair on both programmes either side of the twilight zone schedule rules about time itself.

yours obediently,
                            your faithful servant,

ps i forgot 'funkjunk', who make their own instruments apparently

a concerned citizen fortune
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-10-12, 20:56.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                              btw am i correct in thinking that there's shortly to be some ray bradbury somewhere on the beeb air waves?
                              I did hear something on 4 extra the other evening, handsome, but I don't know if it's part of something bigger or not. They did run 451 at our local cinema on Sunday - still holding up wonderfully, I think. 'Silent Running' in a couple of weeks....wonder how that'll stand up but I'm looking forward to seeing Dern again from way back then.

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                              last night, i really enjoyed 'late junction',
                              I loved that opening track from Ska Cubana and it had me heading back here for another listen - which I do in a non-ponderous fashion.
                              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                              Last edited by johncorrigan; 10-10-12, 22:56. Reason: wonder if silent running will make it past the mod?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Eely good, Global! That was one 'elver play on words.

Comment

Working...
                                X