• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

LJ's Xmas Party?

Maybe it was LJ's Xmas Party last night ..whatever the reason the playlist is comprehensively duplicated

On the other hand, any show that features Gert & Daisy (actually not doing very much at all) is in my book.

Here's how it looks at the moment...
    00:00
    Elsie & Doris Waters — Gert and Daisy Make a Christmas Pudding
    A Vintage Christmas, Flapper PASTCD9768
    00:01
    Louis Armstrong / The Heavy Remix — 'Zat You Santa Claus?
    The Verve Remixed Christmas, Verve 1184902
    00:04
    Talabarte — Pasacorredoiras Gorentosa
    fRoots 38, fRoots Magazine
    00:10
    Oneohtrix Point Never [Daniel Lapotin] — Replica
    Replica, Software SFT0102I
    00:14
    Ólöf Arnalds — Close My Eyes
    Ólöf Sings, One Little Indian TPLP1121CD
    00:18
    Sufjan Stevens — We Three Kings
    Songs for Christmas (Volume 3), Asthmatic Kitty Records AKR028
    00:21
    The Roches — Winter Coat
    Can We Go Home Now, Rykodisc RCD10299
    00:30
    Troyka — Tax Return
    Troyka, Editions Records EDN1014
    00:34
    Gianluigi Trovesi and Gianni Coscia — Offenbach arr. Trovesi / Coscia: Le jugement de Paris / Ma! Non so!
    Frere Jacques Round About Offenbach, ECM 278 1135
    00:41
    Espen Eriksen (piano) — Eriksen: Oslo
    Private Recording, No Label
    00:45
    Hari Sivanesan (veena) / Synnøve Bjørset (hardanger fiddle) — We Do
    Late Junction Session, BBC Recording
    00:57
    Hari Sivanesan (veena) / Synnøve Bjørset (hardanger fiddle) — State of Mind
    01:04
    Hari Sivanesan (veena) / Synnøve Bjørset (hardanger fiddle) — Two Dragon Heads
    01:14
    Coconami — Sleigh Ride
    Wish You: Best Christmas Ever, Trikont US-0377
    01:18
    Bugge Wesseltoft — It's Snowing On My Piano / In Dulce Jubilo
    It's Snowing On My Piano, ACT 9206 2
    00:00
    Elsie & Doris Waters — Gert and Daisy Make a Christmas Pudding
    A Vintage Christmas, Flapper PASTCD9768
    00:01
    Louis Armstrong / The Heavy Remix — 'Zat You Santa Claus?
    The Verve Remixed Christmas, Verve 1184902
    00:04
    Talabarte — Pasacorredoiras Gorentosa
    fRoots 38, fRoots Magazine
    00:10
    Oneohtrix Point Never [Daniel Lapotin] — Replica
    Replica, Software SFT0102I
    00:14
    Ólöf Arnalds — Close My Eyes
    Ólöf Sings, One Little Indian TPLP1121CD
    00:18
    Sufjan Stevens — We Three Kings
    Songs for Christmas (Volume 3), Asthmatic Kitty Records AKR028
    00:21
    The Roches — Winter Coat
    Can We Go Home Now, Rykodisc RCD10299
    00:30
    Troyka — Tax Return
    Troyka, Editions Records EDN1014
    00:34
    Gianluigi Trovesi and Gianni Coscia — Offenbach arr. Trovesi / Coscia: Le jugement de Paris / Ma! Non so!
    Frere Jacques Round About Offenbach, ECM 278 1135
    00:41
    Espen Eriksen (piano) — Eriksen: Oslo
    Private Recording, No Label
    00:45
    Hari Sivanesan (veena) / Synnøve Bjørset (hardanger fiddle) — We Do
    00:57
    Hari Sivanesan (veena) / Synnøve Bjørset (hardanger fiddle) — State of Mind
    01:04
    Hari Sivanesan (veena) / Synnøve Bjørset (hardanger fiddle) — Two Dragon Heads
    01:14
    Coconami — Sleigh Ride
    Wish You: Best Christmas Ever, Trikont US-0377
    01:18
    Bugge Wesseltoft — It's Snowing On My Piano / In Dulce Jubilo
    It's Snowing On My Piano, ACT 9206 2

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

They're curious about the playlists, too.

PS
      Thanks for those Inbox gifts.
      Nice wrapping !

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Yes a good programme. Liked the G and D and the Louis A start. I skipped over some of the frostier instrumentals but there were some favourites there - the Roches, Sufjan Stevens. I very much like Talabarte - a definite cut above similar groups - and really enjoyed the return of Hari Sivanesan and his collaboration with Synnøve Bjørset. That first track of theirs was excellent.

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          Yes a good programme. Liked the G and D and the Louis A start. I skipped over some of the frostier instrumentals but there were some favourites there - the Roches, Sufjan Stevens. I very much like Talabarte - a definite cut above similar groups - and really enjoyed the return of Hari Sivanesan and his collaboration with Synnøve Bjørset. That first track of theirs was excellent.
          It was a bit of a cut and paste from a similar show last year, but, yes, I liked Hari Sivanesan and his collaboration with Synnøve Bjørset but their interview/chat was yet another mistake in a series of interview mistakes - the rule is 'more music, less chat'.

unless they have something fascinating to say.

for example:
          I was inspired to write this song when I saw a one-eyed yellow idol to the north of Kathmandu,
          There, below the town, by a little marble cross I met a broken-hearted woman tending the grave of Mad Carew,
          under the Yellow God forever gazing down.
          Now that's worth listening to.

harumph.
          Last edited by Globaltruth; 23-12-11, 15:42.

Comment

• Globaltruth
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Does anyone know where that Waltz from Michael Nyman came from that Fiona played on Weds night?

Not from Zed & Two noughts, nor the one from Diary of Anne Frank.

A tad frustrating when the playlist doesn't give details - obviously it's a waltz....

I blame the cuts.

Here's a young lady looking for a waltz partner

Comment

• Globaltruth
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
              Does anyone know where that Waltz from Michael Nyman came from that Fiona played on Weds night?

Not from Zed & Two noughts, nor the one from Diary of Anne Frank.

A tad frustrating when the playlist doesn't give details - obviously it's a waltz....

I blame the cuts.

Here's a young lady looking for a waltz partner

Yes, I think I can help you GT.

According to his own website this is a re-release of some early scores from 1981, let out into the world on Feb. 6th. given the time when FT probably recorded this show, it probably appeared on her desk as a new release. I like the description of the
              free jazz saxophonists Peter Brotzmann and Evan Parker skittering and spluttering all over ‘Waltz’ like Teddy Boys at a tea dance
              To me it sounded more like seagulls.
              On some form of psychosis inducing drug.
              Which rendered them capable of chaotic harmonies.

Glad to be of service.
              GT.

Talking of seagulls, I think I can spot a couple in this picture of the much-loved but now defunct Daddy Long-legs in Brighton. The tracks are still there though - well, bits of them
              Last edited by Globaltruth; 02-03-12, 16:41. Reason: that darned comma again.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Talking of seagulls, I think I can spot a couple in this picture of the much-loved but now defunct Daddy Long-legs in Brighton. The tracks are still there though - well, bits of them
                ....and no wonder the gulls are gathering with doughrings like that up for grabs, Global - they knew how to make them back in those days. I assume that Nyman had the movements of that particular construct in mind when he thought of the waltz - the quick step wouldn't have allowed the crustaceans to get out of the way.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Nice to hear Fiona play some Snakehips Johnson in what was quite a fresh sounding LJ.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Nice to hear Fiona play some Snakehips Johnson in what was quite a fresh sounding LJ.
                    I thought it was very well put together. Other than Al and Snakehips, I'm not sure what was the most extraordinary - Ornette Coleman or the Lesser Horseshoe Bat.

After all this time, I have finally been able to categorize Fiona's taste in music. It is "things that go bump in the night". I do enjoy it - the bells, the spiders, the creaking doors, the scuttling mice and the occasional hooded claw with eyeliner.

That said, it only tends to work for me when I have some stomach for the big wide world.

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

A very interesting programme from Fiona Tuesday night.

So is this the future of music - percussion and little else?

Comment

• Globaltruth
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

What a dreadful start to Thursday's LJ from FT....she'd have been better off playing some P P Arnold.*

* most of them were her original backing group y'know

Car crash radio

well, it sounded like a car crash.

Ah well, that's my comprehensive review completed.
                        Last edited by Globaltruth; 18-06-12, 14:49.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

When I cried out for 'elp that wasn't what I meant!!!!!!
                          Think I might have required a spot of Brain Salad Surgery after that one, G.
                          (the procedure, not the ELPLP, I should add).
                          Last edited by johncorrigan; 18-06-12, 15:19. Reason: Was that the sound of a car crashing?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

What a dreadful start to Thursday's LJ from FT....she'd have been better off playing some P P Arnold.*

* most of them were her original backing group y'know

Car crash radio

Ah well, that's my comprehensive review completed.
                            Sixth form common room, Croydon, early 1980. Margaret Thatcher recently elected. Emerson Lake and Palmer the band. If here and now represents the future, there was that very brief moment when incredulity felt challenged.

All the over-confidence and alleged ability in the immediate privileged environment seemed almost persuasive. It was though so obviously ludicrous, I prepared for York, if not considerably farther, and a new 1945 with Geno and Eton Rifles as the soundtrack.

Completely agree with your comprehensive review. Wondered what had happened. You'd been gone awhile.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Loved this threesome last night on LJ.
                              The Balfa Brothers - La Valse de Grand Bois
                              Sheila Chandra - Blacksmith
                              Sinfonye / Mara Kiek (vocals) - Martin Codax: Qunatas sabedes amar amigo
                              Last edited by johncorrigan; 21-06-12, 18:27. Reason: not much else to say about it - captivated for 11 or 12 minutes

Comment

• handsomefortune

the bells, on tuesday fiona over did this vice a bit. consequently i missed some of tuesday's show, as i didn't wake up again till her prog had nearly finished. i got up to brush my teeth next morning, found that during the night i had grown a hunch back, was dragging one foot, and making slurping noises. did anyone else experience the same? i especially enjoyed the piano piece fiona played iirc called 'transcendental'.

comparatively, after i've listened to jez, all my hair falls out, my head shines, i want to be in a car crash, while listening only to really poor jazzpop, released last week or sooner.

wednesday: asleep exceptionally early... as was mr.

it must be nearly time to crack open a bottle of vintage 'hooded claw with eyeliner', before friday's world music show with mak. last week's, featured chatty french canadians who once again proved a very vibrant and expressive bunch. later, after the knees up, there was an exquisite song with a 'gull singer' (not dulcimer). i must name check it. trouble with canada is it's huge, (as margaret atwood frequently reminds us) then we forget, and imagine all french canadians are huddled in one lump. whereas in reality new migrants typically have to re-find each other, having settled anywhere - including the vast expanse that is canada.

Eton Rifles ......a pudding like 'eton mess' - ( a fave, eaten by the current gubmint and the loveable oldey worldey 'bullingdon massif')

Comment

Working...
                                X