Clear All
  • handsomefortune

erm, wrong clip.

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

this one maybe?

"Very Large Green Triangles" is from the Matmos album "The Ganzfeld EP" on Thrill Jockey RecordsLP/CD : http://thrilljockey.com/thrill/Matmos...iTunes : http...

alternatively...

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

FT plays some Ravi Shankar tonight - and a version of Strange Fruit by John Martyn.

It was around this time of year four years ago that John Martyn left the planet

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
          FT plays some Ravi Shankar tonight - and a version of Strange Fruit by John Martyn.

It was around this time of year four years ago that John Martyn left the planet
          Well it turns out that FT wasnt aware of the date coincidence, instead she is collecting versions of Strange Fruit.

I'm minded to send her this one

it was the first version of the song that I ever heard when I was about 16. I think I've posted about it before, so will spare you the details..

A powerful modern version from Tim's lad
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• handsomefortune

think you have located the matmos fillum fiona wanted us to look at gt! evidently, matmos are ex bjork collaborators apparently!

FT plays version of Strange Fruit by John Martyn.
            btw thanks for high lighting the quest for versions...of 'strange fruit'

underneath jm link, someone comments on utube that martyn's voice 'sounds like tenor sax'. (which it does, especially the register of his closing notes of his version).

after reading this, 'tim's lad' sounded like a trumpet! (tim's early career is another example of jazz/folk fusion imo).

in retrospect, martyn's vocal range and phrasing were what was really special imo....(as well as taking acoustic guitar to interesting new places with mr thompson). as with tim, imo later martyn sold himself short, acquiring a really bad strain of therockbug, just as electronica was really taking a hold, and diamanda shocked us all with her piana playin', protestations, and sense of authenticity... as THE disgruntled entertainer of the 90s. meanwhile, geoff was encouraging us to join him in his on stage dreams of an escape....which he eventually did, for real.

today, she sings the blues much more convincingly than most of her contemporaries, past or present (to my ears) which deserves a really massive hurrah in my (small) book....

home at last! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf7Bg...e=results_main

i can't help wondering what josh white might have made of gallas! but hope you send his version in to 'lj', as it's less usual, ....but also, sung with fantastic diction. the listener is forced not to miss one syllable of the utter misery encapsulated in 'strange fruit'.

Comment

• Globaltruth
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Quite liking exploring this a bit, we'll probably skip the classic Nina Simone & Billie Holiday versions.

Instead here's Siouxsie & the Banshees doing a version...to a different tune.
              *UNOFFICIAL*Siouxsie And The Banshees - Strange FruitLyrics:Southern trees bear strange fruit,Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,Black bodies swinging...

and with a video that, by and large, makes little or no sense.

Again, I suspect we've featured this before but this Robert Wyatt version deserves more exposure

And let's not forget a lovely Sidney Bechet

Or this version, new to me, by Laika Fetien

Enough Strange Fruit from me I think - I expect FT is sitting quietly somewhere nodding in agreement...

Comment

• handsomefortune

thanks for these gt!

*UNOFFICIAL*Siouxsie And The Banshees - Strange FruitLyrics:Southern trees bear strange fruit,Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,Black bodies swinging...

and with a video that, by and large, makes little or no sense.

new to me..... and according to utube comments posted

The brilliance of the cover is the addition of the funeral march, the slow inevitability of the procession balances Sioxsie's expert delivery of dark verses.

think this is about right .... emphasising the slow but sure indefinite inevitability. rather than the shock of seeing people hung in public.....which unfortunately hardly occured 'out of the blue'.

consequently, siouxie's is quite a long version ....

it's also a reminder that the eighties was a time when many of the public thought they could do something about famine. or the daily grind of hardship, and extremely inhumane treatment of some sections of people historically prone to western prejudice and exploitation.

.... susan janet ballion was typically inspired, presumably hoping to get her point across... and who ever is responsible for the film montage (footage used looks like blurry 80s tv news clip montage) arguably also looks at inhumanity in a wider context, and also takes some dramatic license in the images selected.

i look forward to r wyatt, sid, and laika's individual take on the same awful, sad song ... (respectively), not to be taken all at once of course
                Last edited by Guest; 07-02-13, 18:27.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Good point about OD'ing on too many versions at once & I won't be posting any pics on this thread whilst we're on this sad song, written by a white person I believe.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Prescience

Pleasantly surprised by the Kevin Ayers track.

wonder what triggered those musical synapses?

Oh well

So now we know it was prescience on FT's part.

Thank you very much Mr Ayers

That's the end of the message Thank you very much. Bye bye
                    Last edited by Globaltruth; 21-02-13, 09:05.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

So now we know it was prescience on FT's part.

Thank you very much Mr Ayers

http://youtu.be/TkNtZXd_LTM
                      That one got a spin on afternoon Radio Scotty today in memory, which was a fine accompaniment between activities. Sad to see him go.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Tuesday - In which Fiona slightly startles us by revealing her inner mother...
                        Bill and Ben: The Flowerpot Men - The Potato Man British show for young children first shown as part of the ‘Watch with Mother’ strand. First transmitted...

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Well it was hardly avant garde/ experimental - but given some of the Late Junction sessions that was perhaps no bad thing. Stian Carstensen and Jerry Douglas fitted each other very well, were mutually appreciative and seemed to be having a very good time together - FT was enjoying herself too, and JD who can appear pretty dour at time was good company. You can download the sesh apparently.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

...instead she is collecting versions of Strange Fruit.

A powerful modern version from Tim's lad
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wySalOnl3I
                            Which FT chose to play.

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                            Well it was hardly avant garde/ experimental - but given some of the Late Junction sessions that was perhaps no bad thing. Stian Carstensen and Jerry Douglas fitted each other very well, were mutually appreciative and seemed to be having a very good time together - FT was enjoying herself too, and JD who can appear pretty dour at time was good company. You can download the sesh apparently.
                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/ljs
                            "Enjoyable" sums it up - two expert musicians at the top of their game; Stian Carstensen had a wonderful droll sense of humour, but the material was somewhat uninspired.

D'ye reckon FT will ever join the growing 'let's do it live' movement on r3?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

D'ye reckon FT will ever join the growing 'let's do it live' movement on r3?
                              Only if it happened in the Land of the Midnight Sun, I reckon.
                              Last edited by johncorrigan; 07-03-13, 12:39. Reason: sun - now that would be nice - even in the daytime.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Aargh, FT succumbed and played something by that shameless dilettante, arrant self-publicist and talentless no-hoper Ergo Phizmiz.

Was unlucky enough to see him up at Musicport.
                                OVer 50% of the audience stampeded the exit after less than 10 minutes. We were amongst them...

I'm more than happy not to give him and his bunch of self-indulgent phoney mates another chance. ever.
                                Not even going to grace this post with a link - just a devout recommendation that you avoid.

And a chastising word to FT - although she is allowed the odd gross mistake every 10 years or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X