Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    Sorry to be catching up, but has anybody heard the Scott Walker Album? Any wise thoughts? The extracts I heard seemed a concentrated listen , compared even to "Tilt " and "the Drift", both of which I like very much .
    I have listened to a fair bit of it. On the surface, the tracks don't seem to be radically different from "Cossacks Are" and "Jolson and Jones" although one lasts for over 20 minutes. For the new "Epizootics!" read the old "Psoriatic". 1995's had strings and a pipe organ, 2006's has woodwind and 2012's has a ukelele and, obviously, brass. Back in 1984, when "Climate of Hunter" was released, he might have been on a serious mission. By making it easy on himself in the mid 1960s, he had achieved guaranteed rotational airplay for the foreseeable future. Later, it appeared that he wanted to be a poet and an artist. Some of the output then was extremely impressive. But it wasn't by any definition Stockhausen, Birtwistle or Crosse, nor was it Einsturzende Neubauten.

"Climate of Hunter" could have been the consequence of very many things. Boredom, imagination, dissatisfaction, artistry, artistic pretension, laziness, a wish to be challenging, the zeitgeist, worries about a fading voice, disilluionment with the industry or the need to be taken seriously in the much longer term. Who knows? It was compelling for its difference and its bloody mindedness. If the classical guys were getting away with it, why shouldn't those in the mainstream? He too could be almost a classical composer. There would probably be automatic acclaim. A body of work followed at leisurely pace. It was to show that the record wasn't a novelty but the long gaps were also a signal that it hardly mattered. He would do precisely what he wanted to do. Fair enough.

Still, if a musician is going to be cutting edge, there are potential pitfalls. It doesn't necessarily work as well as it might do if he becomes stuck in a groove. Where this latest offering possibly differs is that it is more acutely absurdist. The overwrought nature of the music and the lyrics are offset with questionable witticisms. There is still that somewhat atonal approach, there are the usual slabs of percussion and expect the same wacky interludes with unexpected musical instruments. There are also vague world music leanings in this one. They haven't been as obvious before. At times, it reminds me of the earlier records by 23 Skidoo.

The structures are typically loose and fit around the lyrics which are poetical in character. The way they are scattered suggests the beatniks but the content might be nearer to Blake. I have to say that regular references to veins and entrails can lead to deep sighing in me. While I find his choice of language often interesting - he locates good words - and he has thoughtful angles on the excesses of power, there is also an aggression that is flattening. Age wise, he is coming up to 70. That mix of bludgeoning and bodily fluids is more commonly a theme in post-adolescent material. As indeed is smashing things up. I am not in principle against the deconstruction of a persona, any myths surrounding it, the concept of music or listeners' comfortable expectations. However, what passes for complex and substantive is often what can easily be bashed out though that isn't wholly true in his case.

Clearly there is thought alongside the apparent absence of thought. There is subtlety in the sledgehammer assault on the senses. But by all accounts there was a serious Scott Walker ballet in the latter part of the last decade. It wasn't wholly well-received by the classical music press and that would have put a spanner in the works. I think it is the reason for the humour in this CD. It is as if he has gone past caring. And I do think that there is something rather wilful in the man. He was blessed with one of the finest voices and decided even that wasn't good enough for him. The truth is that there is ego in the non-ego too. He turns his back on celebrity and disappears for decades. For all of the artistic standing in dark shadows, I think he still wants his presence to be felt.
    Last edited by Guest; 14-01-13, 02:20.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Thanks Lat , for your fantastic thoughts, most of which are close to how I feel about his recent work. The fact that he does (or has the opportunity to do) exactly what he wants is one of the more attractive aspects of his music. But it can be a potential downside too, and his lyrics, for all that they are mostly thought provoking, do occasionally jar.
      Lack of commercial imperative can lead down the road to self indulgence, (both in the material and the way it is produced.) I hope this aspect doesn't come through in this album.
      i see there are several tracks up on youtube now. (not too many views I see). i'll give them a spin before a buying decision, plenty of other musical calls on the TS musical budget.
      Thanks again Lat. Good to chat with someone about Scott on this board at last ! He's not perfect, but least he engages both the listeners head and heart.
      I'll post some thoughts after a nice listen !
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Thanks Lat , for your fantastic thoughts, most of which are close to how I feel about his recent work. The fact that he does (or has the opportunity to do) exactly what he wants is one of the more attractive aspects of his music. But it can be a potential downside too, and his lyrics, for all that they are mostly thought provoking, do occasionally jar.
        Lack of commercial imperative can lead down the road to self indulgence, (both in the material and the way it is produced.) I hope this aspect doesn't come through in this album.
        i see there are several tracks up on youtube now. (not too many views I see). i'll give them a spin before a buying decision, plenty of other musical calls on the TS musical budget.
        Thanks again Lat. Good to chat with someone about Scott on this board at last ! He's not perfect, but least he engages both the listeners head and heart.
        I'll post some thoughts after a nice listen !
        Looking forward to them - and enjoy. My comments were a bit harsh and I was using a bit of poetic licence on the composers I mentioned. I do like Gordon Crosse. On balance, I would give the CD 3 out of 5. At least he always gives us something to consider.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

I have now listened to a good chunk of it. On first listen, my rather simplistic thoughts are that musically this is really interesting, often enjoyable, occasionally challenging, but would be a"buy". Musically perhaps, stronger than the last two?nothing hugely or radically different from the last 2 elpees, all the SW Hallmarks. There is so much to enjoy, and admire about what he tries to do.
          Lyrically, as you suggested Lat, I do find some of the gore fest, and concentration on the physical a little hard to take at times. I wonder, (since I havent read the lyrics and its just one listen) whether there is work metaphor/imagery at work here ?
          All in all, He's a musician that we are better for having around,flaws and all.

Edit, never heard "Climate of Hunter, " though I have read about it, so thats one to catch up on.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I have now listened to a good chunk of it. On first listen, my rather simplistic thoughts are that musically this is really interesting, often enjoyable, occasionally challenging, but would be a"buy". Musically perhaps, stronger than the last two?nothing hugely or radically different from the last 2 elpees, all the SW Hallmarks. There is so much to enjoy, and admire about what he tries to do.
            Lyrically, as you suggested Lat, I do find some of the gore fest, and concentration on the physical a little hard to take at times. I wonder, (since I havent read the lyrics and its just one listen) whether there is work metaphor/imagery at work here ?
            All in all, He's a musician that we are better for having around,flaws and all.

Edit, never heard "Climate of Hunter, " though I have read about it, so thats one to catch up on.
            Yes, good points. I have been reading some reviews this afternoon. References there to Brecht, Beckett, Celan, Ligeti, Stravinsky, Xenakis, Schoenberg, Webern, Berg, Brel, Galas, Bowie, Wally Stott (!), Bukowski, David Lynch. They mostly make some sense.

He has admitted to being in character for the songs and often thinking in terms of film. There are also historical references - The Day the "Conducator" Died' is an 'Xmas Song' because it commemorates the execution of Nicolae Ceaușescu which occurred on Christmas Day. One thing we haven't mentioned but which John alluded to was the belching etc. Shakespearean or Rabelaisian perhaps? I suppose on that level it could just be a work about becoming old. His interview with Jarvis Cocker is on the I-Player.
            Last edited by Guest; 12-01-13, 19:00.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
              Yes, good points. I have been reading some reviews this afternoon. References there to Brecht, Beckett, Celan, Ligeti, Stravinsky, Xenakis, Schoenberg, Webern, Berg, Brel, Galas, Bowie, Wally Stott (!), Bukowski, David Lynch. They mostly make some sense.

He has admitted to being in character for the songs and often thinking in terms of film. There are also historical references - The Day the "Conducator" Died' is an 'Xmas Song' because it commemorates the execution of Nicolae Ceaușescu which occurred on Christmas Day. One thing we haven't mentioned but which John alluded to was the belching etc. Shakespearean or Rabelaisian perhaps? I suppose on that level it could just be a work about becoming old. His interview with Jarvis Cocker is on the I-Player.
              the film thing is certainly there., which perhaps fits with with his semi operatic singing style? Odd that the belching etc we find seem to find as difficult (perhaps) as the often very explicit lyrics. Interesting references, but in truth I think its fair to say that he has created works that are unmistakably his own style, and that is very much their strength.
              Don't suppose anybody went to the south bank shows a couple of years back? I would have loved to.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Anther one of FT's gently intriguing artists last night....I refer to Mr Nicolas Repac.
                Where did he come from?

and then she dissolved into the night as the strains of the equally intriguing Alvaret Ensemble faded away.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                  Anther one of FT's gently intriguing artists last night....I refer to Mr Nicolas Repac.
                  Where did he come from?
                  She nicked Verity's copy over the weekend, GT.

Tell you who I've been enjoying this week has been the Black Twig Pickers; liked the Chernobyl recordings from Monday too.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    She nicked Verity's copy over the weekend, GT.

Tell you who I've been enjoying this week has been the Black Twig Pickers; liked the Chernobyl recordings from Monday too.
                    There is something apposite about Chernobyl & Black Twigs don't you think?

Comment

• handsomefortune

fiona was uncanny in her selection ...the week cumbria nearly became a waste dump .... terrific birdsong followed by anonymous singing.

also loved diamanda gallas singin the blues..... beyonce having effectively spammed us all with 'the star spangled banner'!

onward and er .....onward ....i'm looking forward to next week's lj.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                        fiona was uncanny in her selection ...the week cumbria nearly became a waste dump .... terrific birdsong followed by anonymous singing.

also loved diamanda gallas singin the blues..... beyonce having effectively spammed us all with 'the star spangled banner'!

onward and er .....onward ....i'm looking forward to next week's lj.
                        Yes earmarked Diamanda Gallas for further investigation - a stunning live performance.
                        However me old mucker Dave Sylvian did make an unwelcome & extended appearance. I consoled myself he won't be making an album with Sam Lee anytime soon. Tell me he won't.

Made up for it with the Word Jazz Man. Man.
                        Last edited by Globaltruth; 01-02-13, 19:47. Reason: I'm flipping glad I moved that 4x4 thread y'know. Most unsettling. How would that Landscape with Birds track sit with that???

Comment

• handsomefortune

yes, i'm glad the 4x4 got moved to a neutral grass verge, some place else too.

caught half of last night's ft .... have the other half to catch up on over the w/e.

have any of you guys tried dancing to the bird song as yet?

Comment

• Globaltruth
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                            yes, i'm glad the 4x4 got moved to a neutral grass verge, some place else too.

caught half of last night's ft .... have the other half to catch up on over the w/e.

have any of you guys tried dancing to the bird song as yet?
                            As my grand daughter said to me today
                            ' if you don't know the moves just shake'

And quite right too;

Comment

• handsomefortune

, a darn good shake is always a really great start point to any other dance that might (or might not) eventually follow :~)

Comment

• handsomefortune

matmos, also from last night's lj,

we were encouraged to watch and listen to this:

Matmos - Very Large Green Triangles (Edit)From The Ganzfield new EPhttp://www.thrilljockey.com/thrill/Matmos/The-Ganzfeld-EP

Comment

Working...
                                X