X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Frederick Nathaniel 'Toots' Hibbert 1942-2020

So sad to hear that the death has been announced of the wonderful Toots Hibbert, one of the great voices of popular music. Last week, I heard him interviewed about his new record and he was sounding great. A great loss to Jamaican and World Music.
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Here's the announcement about Toots' death from the Guardian.

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

sad loss, COVID related I think?
      Genuinely one of the reggae greats, was listening to him at the same time as Bob Marley, LSP, and most of the Trojan label! Such a distinctive voice.

2 faves:

Pressure drop
      Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupPressure Drop · Toots & The MaytalsFunky Kingston℗ An Island Records Release; ℗ 1970 UMG Recordings, Inc.Released...

54-46 was my number
      Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group54-46 Was My Number · Toots & The MaytalsIn The Dark℗ 1973 Island Records, a division of UMG Recordings, Inc.Rele...

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
        sad loss, COVID related I think?
        Genuinely one of the reggae greats, was listening to him at the same time as Bob Marley, LSP, and most of the Trojan label! Such a distinctive voice.

2 faves:

Pressure drop
        Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupPressure Drop · Toots & The MaytalsFunky Kingston℗ An Island Records Release; ℗ 1970 UMG Recordings, Inc.Released...

54-46 was my number
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNxNwvjzGM0
        Bloody virus. Needs to choose its victims more carefully, Global, and take out a few despots...for example.

Toots is a voice of the summer in our family. Every year we'd head out on holiday, and the Toots and the Maytals CD would be part of the soundtrack of the seven-hour journey. This programme is being repeated later this afternoon in tribute.
        'Toots' Hibbert shares his musical milestones with Matt Everitt. First broadcast in 2018.

...and, of course, we shouldn't be surprised to recall that Mr J Boyd worked with the great man, too.
        Over the last year or so, record & film producer and writer Joe has been presenting an incredible ongoing series of podcasts, JOE BOYD’S A -Z, where he takes a trip through his vast record collection using song titles in alphabetical order as doorways to history, memorable recording sessions, rarely heard discs and unforgettable personalities. Join us for a fascinating insight into Joe’s world as we zip from reggae to gospel, from Albania to Catalunya ... and beyond! First published August 2015. Letter "B": Haile Selassie at Kingston airport. Rastas appearing as if from nowhere. The Maytals first hit. Rico Rodriguez' bloody lip. All came together on the night I met Lucky Gordon and realized what the Profumo Scandal was all about. "But if you trouble this man...." Toots & the Maytals: Bam Bam Toots & the Maytals: Rastaman

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Terrific documentary this evening about Toots on free-to-air SkyArts. Terrific input from Joe Boyd and Keith Richards and Horace Andy among others. Well worth a watch for anyone who loves Jamaican music.
          The story of Jamaican musician Frederick 'Toots' Hibbert, who helped define reggae and ska with his band the Maytals. Featuring performance and backstage footage of the group.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            Terrific documentary this evening about Toots on free-to-air SkyArts. Terrific input from Joe Boyd and Keith Richards and Horace Andy among others. Well worth a watch for anyone who loves Jamaican music.
            https://www.sky.com/watch/title/prog...from-the-roots
            Could not agree more. I did not take much, indeed any, interest in Reggae during its rise to popularity. Like most popular music it basically passed me by. However, I was very much impressed by Linton Kwezi Johnson as a political activist, and that led me to listen to the original broadcasts of From Mento to Lovers' Rock. The examples of Toots's contributions made an immediate and strong musical impression on me and awakened enthusiasm for the genre. I would urge not only those who consider themselves interested in Jamaican music to watch this documentary when they get the opportunity. A truly life-affirming work.

Comment

Working...
            X