X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Millie Small dies aged 72

I fondly remember dancing around the living room in our house when Millie sang 'My Boy Lollipop'. In retrospect it is seen as the record that opened a door for West Indian music to Britain and America. But it still brings a smile to my face and it still sounds great. RIP
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    I fondly remember dancing around the living room in our house when Millie sang 'My Boy Lollipop'. In retrospect it is seen as the record that opened a door for West Indian music to Britain and America. But it still brings a smile to my face and it still sounds great. RIP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUHD-vH6gGo
    Yes ‘My boy lollipop’ was one of those records which was interestingly different and ‘great’ or ‘naff’ depending on your point of view but certainly memorable. jc you are right in what you say about opening the door to ska, reggae and the rest!
    RIP, Millie.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Yes ‘My boy lollipop’ was one of those records which was interestingly different and ‘great’ or ‘naff’ depending on your point of view but certainly memorable. jc you are right in what you say about opening the door to ska, reggae and the rest!
      RIP, Millie.
      And we shouldn't forget either (he said with due sanctimonious solemnity) that it was a jazz guitarist, Ernest Ranglin, who did the backing arrangement to that song!

Comment

Working...
      X