X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ian russell
    • Jun 2024

Thanks Fiona

(What is so relevant, or special, about 1971?)

Pink Floyd on LJ.

LOST
    ------
    Plot
    last seen several weeks ago.
    answers to the name of 'Discernment'
    if found, contact
    Fiona@LJ.BBC.org
  • Norfolk Born

1971 is special, if for no other reason, because it's the only year in which Jim Morrison died . (The last time I visited Père Lachaise, he appeared to have been allocated an armed guard, so presumably somebody in authority thinks he's actually there.....)

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>if for no other reason

Ofca, how about the birth of Fabien Barthez ?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
        >>if for no other reason

Ofca, how about the birth of Fabien Barthez ?

Fair comment. '....if for no other reasons....and it marked the birth of.....'

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

ian,

Welcome again to The Quietish Corner.
          No need to worry about 'discernment '
          Some cracked pot will have set up a course on it somewhere.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
            ian,

Welcome again to The Quietish Corner.
            No need to worry about 'discernment '
            Some cracked pot will have set up a course on it somewhere.
            http://www.findingtruthmatters.org/a...scernment7.jpg
            What do you think of the disc ern?

Ruggish?

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Isn't that lovely.
              Right up Irwin Chusid's street, I'd say

Wonder if anyone has had it played at their funeral ?

Ofca,

Last time I visited La Recoleta I could have sworn I saw a Jim Morrisonish figure in the tourist crowd gawping
              at the tomb of Maria Eva Duarte de Peron ..

Last edited by Guest; 30-06-11, 21:37.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Is this the bit where I tell you all about seeing Elvis Presley cross a deserted shopping mall in Atlanta?
                And where the PI tried to get me and Biaggio McPhee to accompany her to Graceland to apprehend some suspects?

Anyway, the 1971 thing - it's a BBC Radio theme at the moment, there is a r4 programme about the history of soul music which has lighted on 1971 as a turning point year. Problem is I can't find a link to the show, but I did hear a trailer. See, they are joined up across stations. Holistic.:cool2:etc etc ad nauseam.

Blimey that Ian Russell - long time no post, good stuff....
                Last edited by Globaltruth; 30-06-11, 19:19. Reason: oh y'know forgot bits,changed bits.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I assumed it was something about dandelions. From memory, this was number 22 in the charts 40 years ago this week.Almost Welsh too so not without merit:

The Staffordshire duo's first 45. On John Peel's Dandelion label. UK #22.John Fiddler - guitar and vocals,Peter Hope-Evans - jews harp & harmonica

Fiona had her moments last night - not least the Johnny and Joni selections and an excellent celtic track - but there was a lot of horror film stuff either side of midnight. People giving the impression that they were only just learning to play a few notes on their instruments.

(While I'm thinking of it, does anyone know how you can stop the words going round on a DAB radio? Or is it a case of sticking a tea towel over them?)

Comment

• Globaltruth
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Further strange rumblings re 1971

Odd tweets are appearing re a 'new' Old Grey Whistle Test.

I wouldn't normally post on such a topic however...

OGWT started in 1971 and the Beeb love an anniversary don't they?

And, one of the acts is rumoured to be Roger Daltry and ace folkie (does him an injustice) Andy Cutting. <===reason for posting

er, yes, together.

Watch this space, but not too closely nor too long - that way lies madness.

Comment

• ian russell

Reflecting on the matter yesterday, I feel I was wrong. Not about Pink Floyd, who, apart from the occasional acceptable lead guitar, would have done better service to mankind had they left college and became the bank managers and accountants that destiny surely had in mind for their imaginatively disadvantaged intellects.

No, I was wrong to say that thing about losing the plot. Fiona likes the Floyd, someone had to, and so what? (too early for 1971, alas). The rest of the '71 themed series has been very entertaining.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

You are absolutely right about the Floyd.

Imagine being 11 and having all of the excitement of going "up" to London with your best mate and his elder brother, then...finding that the latter, 18, drives at 55 on urban streets, is a Monetarist before the term was ever invented, waves two fingers at every unfortunate stranger passing by, and all to the, erm, uplifting sounds of Dark Side of the Moon Gloom.

From memory, we were going to have the delights of Humble Pie on the return race but he abandoned us within three minutes in the west end to find our way back by bus. Said he was meeting McCartney's personal secretary. Can’t remember what we did. Probably threw up in a Lyons Corner House.

I do know though that the neanderthal rhino made good use of his one O'level in maths. Married the daughter of an American millionaire and became the CEO of one of his many companies. The offspring grew up to be supporters of the Tea Party (ok, I’m guessing there, they could be for Palin). He came back to a sofa in blighty and never went out again other than to a golf course.

But that was '73 - the first bit - and earlier they - the Floyd - were rather different. Barrett was cool and on seeing the famous footage I would have liked to have been at the UFO club.

As it was, we made do with bubble lighting at the kids’ discos. Come to think of it, when they finished with the extended version of Papa Was A Rollin Stone and whirled some colours across a lampshade, it was absolutely brilliant. They even put the lyrics in Disco 45. I've still got issues 1 to 37 should anyone want to pay a lot of money out.
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-07-11, 13:08.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ian russell View Post
                          Reflecting on the matter yesterday, I feel I was wrong. Not about Pink Floyd, who, apart from the occasional acceptable lead guitar, would have done better service to mankind had they left college and became the bank managers and accountants that destiny surely had in mind for their imaginatively disadvantaged intellects.

No, I was wrong to say that thing about losing the plot. Fiona likes the Floyd, someone had to, and so what? (too early for 1971, alas). The rest of the '71 themed series has been very entertaining.
                          A noble apology - good stuff Mr. R.

I just wish someone would wean her off that flipping David Sylvian feller though.

Comment

• ian russell

I quite like him but there is something anti-Samaritans about his delivery.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

It was dire. No structure. Like Bono with a head cold. And how exactly was it about Emily Dickinson? (I don't mean to be critical but Fiona had a lot of Japanese musicians/composers on the programme and Sakamoto was badly needed there).

Comment

Working...
                              X