X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Folk 'n' World Music

The Guardian's been running a series this week - History of Modern Music - each day a different subject - pop, rock indie etc - tomorrow it's Jazz.

Today they've done Folk and World Music - they take 50 events that they think are important in the formation of Folk/world music and list them chronologically - they also have created a playlist on Spotty. So there's things like Harry Smith's anthology, Peel plays the Bhundus, Cecil Sharp, Franco OK Jazz, first Womad among others - I'm not sure if you can see the individual 'articles' on-line but you can have a look at their playlist.
    As part of the Guardian's summer of music, we are releasing a history of modern music. Download the world and folk music playlist here

and here's the spotty link.

Immediately I have to say - no Chris Wood in there.
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 16-06-11, 18:28. Reason: no chris wood - honestly!
  • Paul Sherratt

Blimey John, just popped up to the office for some eyewear because the boss has just pointed
    out that Guardian supplement - so back later !

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Yes, I've been following it (just for balance - I do read the online Telegraph too & the NY Times & the Jamaican Weekly Gleaner & er other stuff). It's a bit too abbreviated for my tastes but seems well done.

Just to follow on from one...William Kimber has now got a blue plaque on the wall in Headington, Oxford.

..Which might say ' William Kimber - influenced vegan parochialist C Sharp'.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

I'm surprised The Guardian hasn't spotified the opportunity of having a real live mix tape based on their back-page Big List.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Btw John, the Clarence Brewer tunes have turned a bit sour. Not available in the UK, Spot says ?

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
            Btw John, the Clarence Brewer tunes have turned a bit sour. Not available in the UK, Spot says ?
            Well unless wee Eck Salmond has gotten his way and we've been cut adrift, Paul, I'm still getting it - here's a link to the rather excellent record, but the first two are particularly popular among my family. I was delighted to see it in there. Hope it works.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Still no whisky a go-go.
              I'll have to check the 10 o'clock news John, but it looks as though you are not now part of the UK.
              Wonder how it is for our Peak correspondent ?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                but it looks as though you are not now part of the UK.
                Wonder how it is for our Peak correspondent ?
                That's too bad Paul - I just went and played it to give it a check and it was fine - I heard GOP on an old Kershaw show and got the record - I think Global might have picked it up too.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

By the way Paul - I sent those tunes to Lat as well so if he's got any spotty creds he might check if King Clarentz is available in the leafy suburbs.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Pretty sure JC is playing local files (I.e his own mp3's).

Clarence Brewer is no more on The Spotster
                    Last edited by Globaltruth; 17-06-11, 07:51. Reason: where's that 'walking on gilded splinters' track got t

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                      Pretty sure JC is playing local files (I.e his own mp3's).

Clarence Brewer is no more on The Spotster.

Is Scottish independence really so much at the front of your mind that it becomes the reason for everything? That's wonderful. And sad at the same time.
                      That would explain it Global - I wasn't aware of my local files heading into Spotty there - thanks. On the other subject, it is in the news a lot up here, though often that there's a higher percentage of people in the rest of the UK who want Scottish Independence than there is up here.....we've got feelings too, you know.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                        That would explain it Global - I wasn't aware of my local files heading into Spotty there - thanks. On the other subject, it is in the news a lot up here, though often that there's a higher percentage of people in the rest of the UK who want Scottish Independence than there is up here.....we've got feelings too, you know.
                        I know, that's why I edited my post to remove my insensitive comments; can't be too careful...it's yer man Salmond I have probs with, not the concept. But, in the interest of fairness, my contempt applies equally to all current politicians. And I think I'll leave tha there and get back to the music.

Now - where's that version of Braveheart by Martyn Bennett. Yay.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Think this link goes here...

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

An emotive memory in today's Guardian from Laura Barton about 'Buena Vista Social Club' and a trip to Cuba in 1999.
                            Laura Barton: When I listen to the Buena Vista Social Club album now, I'm struck by its closeness. It is music that presses up against you, that fills the room ...

Comment

Working...
                            X