Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

I was watching the rather excellent concert footage of David Byrne in Union Chapel on BBC4 last night. Towards the end he sang the song 'Ausencia' and I went looking for the Cesária Évora, and Goran Bregović version and found this nice bit of tango. It's sort of triangular between Africa, South America and Europe - perfect fit for a global African Saturday.

Cesária Évora is singing the magnificent tango of the soul «Ausencia»Music: Goran Bregović, Lyrics: Teofilo ChantreAlbum: UndergroundCredits:● Carmine De Ami...

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

That's a lovely video JC as well as great to hear Cesária Évora again. Extreme tango I would say though...

Another excellent track by Abel Selaocoe
      Voices of Bantu:

"Voices of Bantu" showcases Abel Selaocoe's multifaceted talent on cello, voice, and improvisation: its opening draws from the melody of "Les Voix Humaines" ...

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Orchestra Baobab have been out on the road celebrating fifty years of Baobab, and they've got a song out called '50 Ans'. Happy African Saturday to a truly wonderful band.
        Legendary Senegalese band Orchestra Baobab performs 50 ANS, a special song to mark the 50th anniversary of the band's formation in a special Dome Session fil...

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Sahra Halgan from Somalia with 'Sharaf', a version of Somalian desert blues from what I can hear - she's got a very fine groove going there.
          "SHARAF" - 1st single of the new Shara Halgan album's"HIDDO DHAWR "(keep the cultur alive)Release 29 march 2024 on the new label DANAYA.Inouïe Distribution P...

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Cameroon's Manu Dibango with his great disco hit 'Soul Makosa'.
            Soul MakossaManu DibangoLabel: Atlantic Released: 1973 Written By, Composed By, Arranged By -- Manu Dibango (RIP)"Soul Makossa" is a song released as a si...

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

There's a wonderful clip of the great Malian bluesmen, Boubacar Traore and Ali Farka Toure, that has turned up on these pages a number of times over the years:
              Je Chanterai pour Toi - A film by Jacques Sarasin buy the DVD here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chanterai-Pour-Toi-Ill-Sing/dp/B00029BP26http://www.amazon.com/Ill...

Ever vigilant, I didn't notice till this week that it came from a film called 'I'll Sing for You', a documentary made in 2002 and following Boubacar's life since his days as a rocker in the early sixties, known then as KarKar. I found the doc mesmerising as Boubacar returns to his home after time spent in France and we get a glimpse of many parts of the Country...Mopti, Timbuktu, Doggon among others Some prices quoted to buy the film were rather prohibitive, and then I found it on Vimeo. It's just over an hour long - I loved it!

Comment

• Globaltruth
                Host
                • Nov 2010

VIMEO is a right old treasure trove ....thanks JC. Will check it out.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

We went to a gig in Edinburgh on Friday night - the wonderful Pokey LaFarge. I had almost forgotten him. Mrs C and I saw him in St Andrews over ten years ago - anyway he was terrific. Between when the support act went off and Pokey and his band appeared there was music playing - I absolutely loved this and managed to shazam it before it went off - from South Africa, I believe. 'Tau Special' by The Movers.
                  ​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ykDDzF5pc

Comment

Working...
                  X