X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Tonight, at 11.30 on r3, in their Slow Radio series, a road trip across South East Morocco.

And then on iPlayer

made by the Reduced Listening crew for r3 - they seem to have a monopoly on getting This Kind Of Thing onto r3.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      Tonight, at 11.30 on r3, in their Slow Radio series, a road trip across South East Morocco.

And then on iPlayer

made by the Reduced Listening crew for r3 - they seem to have a monopoly on getting This Kind Of Thing onto r3.
      That was great, GT. Thanks. I would have missed that. Made me wish I was there instead of enduring a dark December day in Scotland. Still, I saw some snowdrops yesterday which cheered the spirits no end as did this wee programme. Great sounds.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

I've been tuning in to the terribly named Jamz Supernova on Radio 6 on a Saturday afternoon from time to time over the last wee while. This week she returned from Colombia with a host of tunes and interviews - I don't like it all, but it does feel very fresh what she's doing.
        Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

I don't watch 'Later with Jools Holland'. However I did notice that Somalia's Sahra Halgan was on this week - her song 'Sharaf' has been getting a bit of attention of late. There may be other good stuff on there, but Sahra's on about 33 minutes into the programme - what a wonderful voice - a rollicking performance.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

On BBC Radio 4's 'Archive on 4' at the weekend, Mike Sweeney took us on a tour through the history and influences of Ewan Mac Coll's Salford classic, 'Dirty Old Town' as it reaches the ripe old age of 75. The Beeb even commissioned a new version with Peggy Seeger and the BBC Philharmonic.
            Mike Sweeney unlocks the secrets of Ewan MacColl's timeless classic Dirty Old Town.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Cerys seems to have spent Saturday at WOMAD recording a few things for her Sunday show. One of the highlights for me was Saigon Soul Revival - appaently they have resurrected music that was played in Saigon during the Vietnam War, but was banned after the Americans were kicked out. I enjoyed this track featuring the Đàn Tranh, the Vietnamese 16-string zither.
              ​​​​​the Đàn Tranh.
              Saigon Soul Revival returns with their second album, "Mối Lương Duyên". Enjoy the video of the first single „Ai Thật Lòng Yêu Ai“ (Who Truely Loves Who?) Fe...

Also on the show, she had a live set from Maida Vale featuring the Ghanaian highlife giant, Pat Thomas and the Kwashibu Area Band. Great session.
              ​​​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0021bnv

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

I listened to the Nick Drake Prom after I got back from the hols. I enjoyed it, particularly the first half and particularly Olivia Chaney, who was terrific in both parts of the concert. During the interval there was a conversation with John Wilson and Gabrielle Drake, Nick's sister. John talked about a 'Kaleidoscope' programme that he had made about Nick back in 1995 and which is available on BBC Sounds. I found it most interesting and, as always with Nick, quite sad. Here's the link:
                ​​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b039g8pk

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

One of the clips that's appeared on these pages more than most is Sister Rosetta Tharpe's appearance on Chorlton Train Station as part of a Granada programme singing 'Didn't it Rain'. That was sixty years ago this month and music-loving BBC Radio 4 celebrated the legendary performance with an 'Archives on Four' programme about Sister Rosetta last night. I visited the site last year when I was in the vicinity. It's a tram stop next to a supermarket carpark these days.
                  ​​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0021wxt

Comment

• Globaltruth
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    One of the clips that's appeared on these pages more than most is Sister Rosetta Tharpe's appearance on Chorlton Train Station as part of a Granada programme singing 'Didn't it Rain'. That was sixty years ago this month and music-loving BBC Radio 4 celebrated the legendary performance with an 'Archives on Four' programme about Sister Rosetta last night. I visited the site last year when I was in the vicinity. It's a tram stop next to a supermarket carpark these days.
                    ​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0021wxt
                    Just popped onto here to post this very same programme.
                    What a terrific radio show - in every aspect.

Glad you made the pilgrimage JC - guess the result is somehow predictable, but luckily the video still exists.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

I've been away up north this last week, so yesterday I caught up on the Tinariwen Prom from last Wednesday, and mighty glad I did. I thought they were sounding terrific - they had such a great groove going throughout the show and the audience sounded like it was completely with them. Great listen.
                      ​​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0...n=share-mobile

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

I hadn't heard of Zakia Sewll before but chanced on her at the weekend sitting in for Gilles Peterson on BBC Radio 6, and mighty glad I did. Great tunes, but even more; an excellent interview with Jacqui McShee. Zakia said Pentangle's music was very important in her musical upbringing, and it was great to hear Jacqui in such fine form.

Comment

Working...
                        X