• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    A crackin' tune from Mde Ed Bolduc called 'Les Medecins' from the most recent John Heneghan podcast about French Canadian music of the 40s and 50s, where R Crumb makes valiant attempts to pronounce French.
    Paroles: Si quelqu'un veux les écrires, écrivez les dans les commentaires, je vais ensuite les placer ici avec votre nomParoles par: (nom ici)

Great programme as always.
    A jolly soul by the sounds of it JC...this thread will be known as French-Canadian Wednesday in her honour this week.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      A jolly soul by the sounds of it JC...this thread will be known as French-Canadian Wednesday in her honour this week.
      By the way, Global, she's having a go at modern medicine and its failure to do the business as things were in the 30s and 40s. Here she is with a song that seems appropriate for our present condition...'Tout Le Monde a La Grippe' showing the influence of the Scots on French Canadian music...at least I always thought that 'The Mason's Apron' was a Scottish tune.
      On a une épidémieCar tout le monde sont grippésY en a pas de mes amisQu'ont pas la grippe cette annéeTous les magasins de quinze centsIls font d' l'argent co...

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

By the way, Global, she's having a go at modern medicine and its failure to do the business as things were in the 30s and 40s. Here she is with a song that seems appropriate for our present condition...'Tout Le Monde a La Grippe' showing the influence of the Scots on French Canadian music...at least I always thought that 'The Mason's Apron' was a Scottish tune.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe__sP2wkB4
        Yes, I looked for a complete translation - but was able to make out that her wit was of the caustic flavour - c'est bon.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

I really enjoyed the soundtrack of Wes Anderson's film, 'The French Dispatch'. From it, here's Chantal Goya doing 'Tu M'as Trop Menti'.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

I see that in the next few days, the James Webb Space Telescope is to be launched as scientists go looking for complete and total darkness.

The biggest space telescope ever built is ready to show us the first stars to light up the cosmos.

The dark days up here at this time of year have quite enough lack of light for my liking...the Stones suggested painting it black, and for a French Wednesday in mid-December here's Marie Laforêt giving us the French take on Mick, Keef and the lads' chanson.
            Marie Laforêt – Marie douceur Marie colère (Audio Officiel)Ecoutez : http://marielaforet.lnk.to/music Suivez Marie Laforêt : Abonnez vous à sa chaîne: https:...

Comment

• Globaltruth
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Nearly Wednesday...

A French Rhumba?
              With Jeanne Moreau and Marguerite Duras speaking some very dark lyrics?
              Why that must be...
              Rumba des Îles
              ℗ 1975 Polydor (France). Texte : Marguerite Duras⎜Musique : Carlos D'Alessio.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Came across a lively version of the famous Brassens song, "La Cane de Jeanne", which our teacher got us singing as First Years just beginning to learn French 60 years ago. The song has stuck with me.

Irish style with some Bach thrown in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTRsk8p4adU

Also like this chap's more straightforward rendition which YouTube brought up next. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgh_I6kurWE

Comment

• Globaltruth
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

That time of year when no-one is quite sure what day it is...for some of us, that's a more or less permanent state.
                  But, when we get there, unless we are there already, what better way to arrive than by a bicyclette?

Provided to YouTube by L'empreinte DigitaleLa bicyclette · Roland DyensChansons françaises (Paris guitare)℗ L'empreinte digitaleReleased on: 2015-11-06Compos...

Driven along expertly by Roland Dyens.

also most suitable as intermission music. normal service may well never be resumed...

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

I was listening to Kate and Anna McGarrigle the other morning - the record entitled 'La Vache qui Pleure' - really enjoyed the whole CD. Here's the title track for a wet and windy French Wednesday with plenty pictures of cows...some crying.
                    Chanson éponyme de leur album sorti en 2003.***Dans un pré au fond d'un vallon Il y a, pauvre et seule Une vache, une vache qui pleure Je pleure mon veau que...

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

I was listening to Kate and Anna McGarrigle the other morning - the record entitled 'La Vache qui Pleure' - really enjoyed the whole CD. Here's the title track for a wet and windy French Wednesday with plenty pictures of cows...some crying.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohXeLwRJhK4
                      Merci bien.

An antidote?

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        Merci bien.

An antidote?

An udder cheesy response!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Super spreader event?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Super spreader event?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Heard Juliette Greco's 'Un petit poisson, un petit oiseau' at the weekend. Really enjoyed it so when I went to look on youtube I had the choice of a dodgy bit of film with out of sync singing or standard photo - but she looks so great I decided to go for the former, despite the shortcomings. Happy French Wednesday.

Un petit poisson, un petit oiseauS'aimaient d'amour tendreMais comment s'y prendreQuand on est dans l'eauUn petit poisson, un petit oiseauS'aimaient d'amour ...

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

A fine bit of cajun from the Riley Family Band from their recent record, and all for a French Wednesday - 'Crowley Blues'.
                                Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesCrowley Blues · Riley Family Band · Amédé ArdoinLa Vie De Riley℗ 2022 Valcour RecordsReleased on: 2022-02-25Mus...

Comment

Working...
                                X