X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

And the Gloaming have got a new live album coming out - recorded live at the NCH.

I'm liking the sound of it, because they never do play the same thing twice...

The Gloaming announce new live album
    To celebrate their forthcoming sold-out residency at Dublin’s National Concert Hall The Gloaming will release Live at the NCH, a live album recorded at the venue that has become their home from home.

Released on 2 March 2018 on CD, LP and Digital

Purchase the CD or LP from Real World and receive a download of 'The Booley House' in advance of the album's release.

To put Live at the NCH together we sifted through two years of performances and settled on six tracks: 'The Booley House', 'Cucanandy', 'The Sailor’s Bonnet', 'The Pilgrim’s Song', 'The Rolling Wave' and 'Fáinleog'.

These performances stretch out and roam in unexpected new directions, incorporating new tunes and rearranging old ones, filled with the excitement and delight of five master musicians coming together as one.
    Phew (even though it's still the wrong thread)

PS JC - the Booley House track is on Spotify and therefore on the legendary playlist.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

PS JC - the Booley House track is on Spotify and therefore on the legendary playlist.
      I have a problem with this, Global...it's too short...I wanted more. It's one of those tracks where in an alternate universe they're all still playing. Thanks.

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

ok, it's Thursday. If that's a problem for you, don't read this till tomorrow (Friday)

A track by Lankum (formerly Lynch'd), from their latest album.
        "What will we do when we have no money?"
        Taken from the album 'Between the Earth and Sky', out now on Rough Trade Records: http://rtrecs.co/BTEASLankum say: "We first heard this song from the great ...

Found this on the EFDSS site
        From the singing of Mary Delaney, still said to be alive today and living in London. Mary is an Irish Traveller, blind and a singer of terrific vigour. Her repertoire includes many old songs learnt from her family as well as ditties, such as this one, which have no known origin but were probably invented around the fires and on the road. This song was recorded from Mary while she was living in a caravan underneath the Hammersmith flyover.
        and here she is:
        From the collection From Puck to Appleby available from http://mtrecords.co.uk/mt_rec.htm#puck"They were well aware which were the ‘old’ songs or, as Mary De...

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

With the recent film 'Darkest Hour' which celebrated Churchill's finest hour receiving plaudits, I recall being brought up in an area of West Scotland where his reputation was less favourably felt because of his attitude during the Tonypandy Miners' Strike of 1910 or, more particularly, the deployment of the Black and Tans in Ireland and their reputation for excessive violence against all parts of the community. With this in mind I was interested that 'Come Out ye Black and Tans' featured in Tariq Ali's mixtape on LJ this evening, performed by the Wolfe Tones...ideal for an Irish Friday.
          Check out https://irieclothing.com/collections/irish-republican-t-shirts for some great looking Irish Republican T-Shirts! Get 10% off orders over €/£20 by u...

By the way, Global, that fine Lankum track still makes me think of Martyn Bennett's 'Grit'. Loved the Mary Delaney.

Comment

• Globaltruth
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            With the recent film 'Darkest Hour' which celebrated Churchill's finest hour receiving plaudits, I recall being brought up in an area of West Scotland where his reputation was less favourably felt because of his attitude during the Tonypandy Miners' Strike of 1910 or, more particularly, the deployment of the Black and Tans in Ireland and their reputation for excessive violence against all parts of the community. With this in mind I was interested that 'Come Out ye Black and Tans' featured in Tariq Ali's mixtape on LJ this evening, performed by the Wolfe Tones...ideal for an Irish Friday.
            Check out https://irieclothing.com/collections/irish-republican-t-shirts for some great looking Irish Republican T-Shirts! Get 10% off orders over €/£20 by u...

By the way, Global, that fine Lankum track still makes me think of Martyn Bennett's 'Grit'. Loved the Mary Delaney.
            JC, you won't be surprised to know that I thought exactly the same, I wonder if Lankum have ever heard it.

Yer man WC - it's not fashionable to point out the whole picture, you're meant to keep those rose tinted specs on all the time JC.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Here's Séamus Ennis on the Uilleann Pipes from 1972. Meant to post earlier but it's been a long day...great bit of film, I thought.

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

Well its not far off Friday.
                Young Irish and Ulster-Scots musicians are coming together to remember Edward Bunting.

An Edward Bunting air, The Gentle Maiden, follows

Played on Hammered Dulcimer by Dick Glasgow.Edward Bunting collected this tune from a Miss Murphy in Dublin in 1839 & published it the following year. * * * ...
                Last edited by Padraig; 17-02-18, 21:58.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                  Well its not far off Friday.
                  Young Irish and Ulster-Scots musicians are coming together to remember Edward Bunting.

An Edward Bunting air, The Gentle Maiden, follows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2sHruEBYYo
                  Thanks Padraig, I do love a hammer dulcimer - bringing those communities together is what we want, but somehow certain groupings have used music as a way of pushing people further apart instead and have reinforced the divide - as I have sadly witnessed so often over in Glasgow and its environs.

Comment

• Padraig
                    • Feb 2013

Maybe you're right John. Do you think we should pack it all in? Should we sacrifice The Gentle Maiden at Boolavogue?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Maybe you're right John. Do you think we should pack it all in? Should we sacrifice The Gentle Maiden at Boolavogue?
                      Absolutely not at all, Padraig, music will pull us all through - it's just that when I watch the politics of Northern Ireland as they are played out just now, I sometimes despair a bit! Oh yes, and it's Monday morning tomorrow.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

I imagine they're blowing in the breeze today.
                        Pre-order the Brand New FourWinds Album Now!http://kck.st/3uOdCGTA set of tunes from the FourWinds album, available from:https://fourwindsirishmusic.com The ...

Stay warm out there, y'all!

Comment

• Padraig
                          • Feb 2013

One for the women, John.

The theme is jealousy. You could say it's called 'I want to be 'Paidin's wife', but it's just Bean Phaidin; you have to read between the lines to get the malice. I think it is a wedding song

It's a pity that I am not, I am not
                          It's a pity that I am not Paidin's wife
                          And the woman he has is dead.

All the words:

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

One for the women, John.

The theme is jealousy. You could say it's called 'I want to be 'Paidin's wife', but it's just Bean Phaidin; you have to read between the lines to get the malice. I think it is a wedding song

It's a pity that I am not Paidin's wife
                            And the woman he has is dead.

All the words:

http://www.celticlyricscorner.net/chonaola/bean.htm
                            Jings, crivvens, Padraig! That is one helluva wedding song. Brilliant singing, great song - reminding me a touch of Uist's Julie Fowlis, which is no bad thing in my books.

Comment

• Padraig
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                              Jings, crivvens, Padraig! That is one helluva wedding song. Brilliant singing, great song - reminding me a touch of Uist's Julie Fowlis, which is no bad thing in my books.
                              On second thoughts I don't think it's a wedding song. What's the matter with me?

However on a more sombre note, you'll be sorry to hear of the passing of Liam O'Flynn.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

On second thoughts I don't think it's a wedding song. What's the matter with me?

However on a more sombre note, you'll be sorry to hear of the passing of Liam O'Flynn.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/m...lynn-1.3426824
                                Sad news indeed, Padraig. I loved Phil Coulter's tribute to Liam at the end of the article.

There were five of us in the flat in the West end of Glasgow in the early 80s when 'The Brendan Voyage' turned up and became the record of choice. I used to love it when everyone was out and I could have the soaring sound of the Uilleann pipes resounding around those large empty tenement rooms. I taped it onto a cassette, with Hank Williams on the other side. I was working in a bar where the Boss only wanted Mozart and Vivaldi played, so I used to play Liam and Hank when his back was turned.
                                Our wee cottage is empty this morning and outside the wind is howling in from the east, and the sounds of Liam and his pipes are wandering through the walls once more to celebrate a great musician moved on.

R.I.P. Liam O'Flynn - thanks for all the delights.

Comment

Working...
                                X