• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

Now, for something slightly . . .

Vintage 1910s Music - Christine Miller - Oft In The Stilly Night @Pax41 - YouTube

Oft, in the Stilly Night (Scotch Air) by Thomas… | Poetry Foundation

Of whom was Christine Miller thinking in 1910? We know Tom Moore had some friends lost in the 98 Rebellion. We all can name missing faces and remember words once spoken.

I like to remember too.
    thanks Padraig. A recording from mere 114 years ago. Wonderful.

here is another version, slightly more recent and that I’m sure you know. Both mournful - and that’s fine.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

The wondrous Lisa O'Neil was in session on Gideon Coe's BBC Radio 6 show on Wednesday and was in sparkling form and even included a new song in the set called 'Worsens By the Day'. Otherwise familiar songs brilliantly performed and good chat too with Gid. First song is the show opener and then three more starting about thirty-eight minutes in - she's a bloody treasure.
      ​​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0021hrp

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        The wondrous Lisa O'Neil was in session on Gideon Coe's BBC Radio 6 show on Wednesday and was in sparkling form and even included a new song in the set called 'Worsens By the Day'. Otherwise familiar songs brilliantly performed and good chat too with Gid. First song is the show opener and then three more starting about thirty-eight minutes in - she's a bloody treasure.
        ​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0021hrp
        I will always remember the solo concert she did in the theatre in Dublin in lockdown.

Forget lockdown; here she is singing one of my favourite lock-in songs...

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Well this stopped me and Mrs GT in our tracks the other night when the devious Al and his Go Rhythms popped it up.
          Imagine being able to take one of the most hackneyed works in the Whittaker canon and making it sound new, especially after the Pogus have made a good job of doing the same a few years previous. No need to imagine any more, just click on the link...

(I remember you went to see him alive JC and I suspect you made a wise choice.)

Provided to YouTube by Beggars Group Digital Ltd.Dirty Old Town · John Francis FlynnLook Over the Wall, See the Sky℗ 2023 River Lea RecordingsReleased on: 20...

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Happy weekend, a chairde. This weekend sees the Irish Open Golf Championship being held in County Down. Some nice coverage on TV of the beautiful scenery in a part of Ulster I have never visited. I'm impressed even.
            I know the songs, though. Here are one or two . . . sort of.

Bendemeer's Stream
            bendemeer's stream - Google Search

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
              Happy weekend, a chairde. This weekend sees the Irish Open Golf Championship being held in County Down. Some nice coverage on TV of the beautiful scenery in a part of Ulster I have never visited. I'm impressed even.
              I know the songs, though. Here are one or two . . . sort of.

I hadn't heard of John Charles Thomas before, Padraig. Loved his voice and his performance of the song. Thanks. The locals will be glad to see Rory well in the mix after the first round.

Comment

Working...
              X