• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
    Great song, Lat. New to me.

I've missed the deadline this week but you'll forgive me when you hear this wonderful Gaelic partnership.

A recorded version is available on their cd "dual".Songs / tunes -Tha'm buntáta mór / An Bairille / Boc liath nan gobhar

Edit:
    On a language point I feel I have to mention this little fact, given the day that's in it in the Republic of Ireland (The Referendum, you know). When you say 'Hello' in Irish it's 'Dia duit', God be with you. But when you address an expectant mother it's 'Dia daoibh'
    (second person plural). I never knew that and I find it quite touching.
    Thank you very much Padraig. I like that song very much. Yes - I am aware. Sensitive subject. I'm not an all or nothing sort of person. I think I would have wanted a third option.

Possibly even four.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Bit early, I know, but Martin Furey sang 'May Morning Dew' on Cerys this morning and mighty delightful it was - he's a fine performer, on the evidence of this morning's live set. He mentioned his love for Dolores Keane's version so I thought I better get in early before May's out. (That's not a political reference by the way...and the May is in full bloom here already, so it's not a reference to the natural world either). It's just that this coming Friday's June, that's all!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        Bit early, I know, but Martin Furey sang 'May Morning Dew' on Cerys this morning and mighty delightful it was - he's a fine performer, on the evidence of this morning's live set. He mentioned his love for Dolores Keane's version so I thought I better get in early before May's out. (That's not a political reference by the way...and the May is in full bloom here already, so it's not a reference to the natural world either). It's just that this coming Friday's June, that's all!
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Zq8t_-DV4
        Very nice, JC.

I am reminded that his father Finbar was at number 14 in the UK charts with the rest of the Fureys and Davey Arthur in late 1981. "When You Were Sweet Sixteen". It was the month that I started work ahead of university. What I didn't know until today was that Eddie and Finbar Furey achieved John Peel's "Single of the Year" in 1972. I still don't know which song won? "When You Were Sweet Sixteen" was written by James Thornton and published in 1898. I'm wondering which songs of even earlier times have been in the singles chart, if any?

The Fureys with Davey Arthur - When You Were Sweet Sixteen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z265BuKCQrc

On another point, why is it that celtic music always sounds as right as reggae in baking hot heat? It is August here and I've let the YT Irish thing roll on while looking at my flowers!
        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 27-05-18, 17:00.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

On another point, why is it that celtic music always sounds as right as reggae in baking hot heat? It is August here and I've let the YT Irish thing roll on while looking at my flowers!
          Interesting you should mention that, Lat. Cerys is a Christy Moore fan and also played 'Spancil Hill' this morning, and in the May sunshine, out weeding, it sounded pretty awesome. (No Shane MacGowan this time, mind you!)

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

Interesting you should mention that, Lat. Cerys is a Christy Moore fan and also played 'Spancil Hill' this morning, and in the May sunshine, out weeding, it sounded pretty awesome. (No Shane MacGowan this time, mind you!)
            Shane MacGowan is not in a good way, JC. I could have had better and more predictable role models. Luckily, I was more in the realms of the sporadic and complimentary in terms of tone of gig. There was huge poetry and life romanticism in it. It wasn't a total lifestyle. But Shane has outlived Phil Chevron and Kirsty and many more. When I turn on the World Wide Wake, I'm always expecting to be devastated about news on Joni or Bob. One just assumes that all the rest will be ticking on and, given the birthday, that Shane is Father Christmas.

I like Christy Moore doing the Pogues. I like him doing the funny Honda. I like him in the round - but I was always aware of an edge at the Finsbury Park Fleadh; that he wasn't the Hothouse Flowers. Fair enough. I can't claim all the genetic credentials. But it is odd what we have been discussing. I'm keen on a key line in the great if sweary "The Commitments". This touches on a line of sentiment which only some of the Southern Dubliners could deliver without controversy. Certainly it is not my place. And, eighties or nineties though it is in production, I happen to think that "Songs From the Rain" is very undervalued. It is also in line with stereotypical ideas about climate. I know it's U2-ish but I love the spiritual-biblical:

Hothouse Flowers - Isn't It Amazing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWlPcpd2olQ

(Omg - I've just done that three times and I've got all emotional - perhaps a live event is needed; most of that album is a cruelly underrated blast - it equals the Waterboys)
            Last edited by Lat-Literal; 27-05-18, 19:53.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Flogging Molly's official music video for "Drunken Lullabies" from the album, Drunken Lullabies - available now on SideOneDummy Records.â–º Find Drunken Lullab...

Happy Skateboarding Friday!

Comment

• Globaltruth
                Host
                • Nov 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89NjEeHku8o

Happy Skateboarding Friday!
                Enjoyed that JC, thx.

"Enniscorthy... not Dublin or anywhere cool like dat"
                irish skateboarding enniscorthy not dublin or any were cool like dat.

terrible quality, subtitles in an alien language but authentic. And the music is well chosen.

should we start a Music Planet skateboarding thread?

Comment

• Padraig
                  • Feb 2013

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  Last edited by Padraig; 26-06-18, 15:11.

Comment

• zola
                    • May 2011

Camerata Kilkenny with David Power.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Radio 3's very own poet in residence, Ian McMillan, was the guest playlister for the most recent issue of Songlines. He chose this completely wonderful piece by Gerry Diver, who apparently was in the Popes with Shane McGowan. I've been listening to this rather a lot these last few days, but it's also a fab video...all in my, and Ian's, opinion, of course.
                      Old Time Musicians - Gerry Diver
                      http://www.speechproject.net Opening track from Gerry Diver's album featuring Shane MacGowan, Christy Moore, Damien Dempsey, Martin Hayes and others.

Happy Irish Friday to you all out there...stay cool!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Old Time Musicians - Gerry Diver
                        http://www.speechproject.net Opening track from Gerry Diver's album featuring Shane MacGowan, Christy Moore, Damien Dempsey, Martin Hayes and others.

Bit more from Gerry Diver, this time a music loop over commentary from Shane MacGowan.
                        http://www.gerrydiver.comAlbum project by multi-instrumentalist composer/producer Gerry Diver feat Irish artists Shane McGowan, Damien Dempsey, Christy Moore...

Happy Friday wherever you are!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

A bit more Christy Moore with Shane McGowan - this time a bit of 'A Pair of Brown Eyes'. I love the combination of their voices.

Happy Irish Friday, folks!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                            • Aug 2015

A bit more Christy Moore with Shane McGowan - this time a bit of 'A Pair of Brown Eyes'. I love the combination of their voices.

Happy Irish Friday, folks!
                            Very good.

A message to GT.

Would it be possible to extend the title of this thread to "Scottish and Irish Fridays" - and even including the Welsh?

Or is that too stereotypical? I hope not.

Then we could have the likes of this:

Shooglenifty - Maxine's Polka - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmNVaxE7OEg

(I'm also after Mexico going wider to South America as it would add scope but I suppose I shouldn't push my luck!)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                              Would it be possible to extend the title of this thread to "Scottish and Irish Fridays" - and even including the Welsh?!
                              We've already got Bach on Fridays.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                We've already got Bach on Fridays.

Comment

Working...
                                X