X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Lloyd Knibb

I felt rather ashamed to not recognise this guy by his name - only by the sound of his drums, but he well merited a bit on Brief Lives this week - Lloyd Knibb, the originator of the ska beat.

Here's his obit in the Indie:
    The original mid-1960s incarnation of the Skatalites only lasted 15 months, yet their irresistible blend of jazz, boogie-woogie, blues, mento and African rhythms helped create a new and enduring genre, the first truly Jamaican sound, ska.

...and a crackin' bit of Caribbean meets the Mersey.
    Una version de Skatalites de una cancion de los Beattles, / Excellent version of a song of The Beattles by Skatalites..The world must know this beatifull so...
  • Lateralthinking1

Thanks John. Very interesting article. Enjoyed the clip too. There really should be a book - or at least a thread - on the people who really made a difference to music but were never household names.

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

For a long time Joe Meek would have been in that book from an English pop music point of view, but I'd love to read of the work and impact of the Diabate dynasty in Mali for example.

Actually there's a great r3 series in there I think...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Yes, yes and yes!!!! (Also that guy with the computer music who died recently whose name I am ashamed to say I've forgotten already).

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Max Mathews

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          Yes, yes and yes!!!! (Also that guy with the computer music who died recently whose name I am ashamed to say I've forgotten already).
          Not related to Cerys, and Max himself was only there because of Von Neumann - not a musical man I suspect, but yes Max Mathews.

Porky Primecut? Aka George Peckham, maybe not quite so important...

Comment

Working...
          X