X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Great start to the day, JR. Happy Bob's birthday to you and gurney and everyone else.
    Yes Happy Birthday to the man who influenced many but was influenced himself by a few! Today I will revisit Highway 61.

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Happy Birthday, Bob.

I was so much older then ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Df39PjkwA

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Yes Happy Birthday to the man who influenced many but was influenced himself by a few! Today I will revisit Highway 61.
        Good call always, cloughie. I've been particularly enjoying 'Time out of Mind' this week, and Bob's brush with mortality - I'd forgotten how much I loved that record. 'Cold Irons Bound' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hO-83CIVKM

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          Happy Birthday, Bob.

A couple of good Wilbury guests there gurn - Byrdised Bob at its best! Great birthday choice!

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            A couple of good Wilbury guests there gurn - Byrdised Bob at its best! Great birthday choice!
            Loved it, too. I enjoyed very much the article by Edward Docx in Saturday's Guardian Review -
            Prolific, resilient and endlessly creative … as Dylan celebrates his 80th birthday, Edward Docx assesses his artistic contribution to the human story

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Happy Birthday, Bob.

Wonderful gurn

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

'Like a Rolling Stone' the subject of 'Soul Music' on BBC radio 4 extra this evening.
                Robbie Robertson, Al Kooper and Greil Marcus reflect on Bob Dylan's iconic song.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

'Like a Rolling Stone' the subject of 'Soul Music' on BBC radio 4 extra this evening.
                  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0076mh5
                  Thanks, jc!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Looking forward to Bob's 81st. In the meantime I came across a nice video of Dusquene Whistle. Some people put some worthwhile effort into this. We were driving back in the dark through deepest Dorset and Wilts after our last Dylan concert in Bournemouth 2017 - possibly last ever? - and I found myself constantly singing that catchy opening phrase, to the eventual and no doubt justified annoyance of my only passenger, my wife.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Looking forward to Bob's 81st. In the meantime I came across a nice video of Dusquene Whistle. Some people put some worthwhile effort into this. We were driving back in the dark through deepest Dorset and Wilts after our last Dylan concert in Bournemouth 2017 - possibly last ever? - and I found myself constantly singing that catchy opening phrase, to the eventual and no doubt justified annoyance of my only passenger, my wife.
                      Is that really four years since that, gurney? What a great night we had in Glasgow too - hope we'll get to see him again one of these days. Love that tune - I'd have gone for 'Rascal' on my bit of paper - a favourite word.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

I think the thing I've been amazed most about these last few weeks is not so much the great songs, but the amazing songs that I missed along the way like this one that Radcliffe just played on his Radio 2 folk show Bob spesh - Bob missed this one, 'Abandoned Love' , off 'Desire'... about the break up with Sarah. Pretty amazing really! Don't recall hearing it before.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

'Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues' live at Town Hall, 1963:

JR

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

I think the thing I've been amazed most about these last few weeks is not so much the great songs, but the amazing songs that I missed along the way like this one that Radcliffe just played on his Radio 2 folk show Bob spesh - Bob missed this one, 'Abandoned Love' , off 'Desire'... about the break up with Sarah. Pretty amazing really! Don't recall hearing it before.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwV36JL_G0s
                            Scarlet Rivera going well. Is it Emmylou on backing vocal? Should be but doesn't sound quite like her. I also love the Everly Brothers' version which I think I might have played more than Bob's over the years. Uilleann pipes really grab you at the start.

Listening just now, I noticed a clown link for the first time. First verse goes:

I can see the turning of the key
                            I've been deceived by the clown inside of me
                            I thought that he was right but he's afraid
                            But something's telling me I wear the ball and chain

I very well remember the 1960 Everlys' hit song "Cathy's Clown" (first line: "Don't want your love anymore") which made an impression on me in when I was a mere eleven and not buying singles. My sister, six years older, got it and played it all the time.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

A few Dylan programmes on BBC4 this evening. A real mixed bag of covers recorded by the BBC over the years. Some good, some bad and others in between. The one that surprisingly impressed me, particularly as I’ve not really liked what I’ve heard of her before but Adele singing just with Jools Holland on piano was really very good.
                              Last edited by cloughie; 30-05-21, 14:49.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

'Caribbean Wind'(not the version on 'Biograph'):

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X