• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

as well as Bob and Fan on BBC4 tonite also this
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      .......Of course with Desolation Row one also thinks of the epics "Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands" and "Highlands". Although the latter came many decades later, it is one to make you laugh as well as think.
      When Time out of Mind came out I got quite fascinated by the Highland/Lowlands links. Here's an article I bookmarked at the time.

Comment

• Anna

Only just twigged what this thread is about. Greatly enjoyed the BBC4 prog, had no idea about Dylan really, only thing I knew was the The pumps don't work cos the vandal took the handel didn't know about McCathyism or any of that stuff. Makes me want to investigate a lot more.

Comment

• zola
          • May 2011

What more to say about BobbyZ ? Ok, the voice is a bit of a croak now but listen to it at Newport '63 ringing clear as a bell. Great DJ too. Song to take to the grave ? Desolation Row. Remember walking alongside it at the Isle of Wight in 1969.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

...ah the great Lonnie

a song for today of all days
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
              ...ah the great Lonnie

a song for today of all days
              The great Lonnie indeed, Calum - thanks for that fine article and mighty fine song.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Interestingly, or not, Paul Simon also 70 this year - we are all getting old brothers and sisters - says in a recent interview...."One of my deficiencies is my voice sounds sincere," Simon says. "I've tried to sound ironic. I don't. I can't. Dylan, everything he sings has two meanings. He's telling you the truth and making fun of you at the same time. I sound sincere every time"
                I hope Paul Simon doesn't mean that he's just a lightweight alongside Dylan. 'The Boxer' and 'Slip-slidin' away' are two of the heaviest, saddest, finest C20 songs I know.
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

I think having read a fair bit about Paul Simon he has felt that from the very start of their "careers".

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

well he might, i think Paul Simon is an immense talent and think his work excellent .... it is just that Dylan is truly something else again ... no one can live where he works .. watching the Scorse film Part 1 last night brought to mind the sheer impact he had on everyone everywhere .... and it is all still standing ... the lyrics are still spellbinding and original ...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I completely agree with the above post. I believe R4 are doing their bit on Bob at 8pm tonight. Welcome but they have been doing their utmost all day to turn themselves into what R2 should be. Earlier, a half hour slot on Francoise Hardy - recommended for those who use the I-Player and this afternoon, a programme in which three people chose their most meaningful song. Less successful - Rush from 1977 didn't exactly grab me.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                        I completely agree with the above post. I believe R4 are doing their bit on Bob at 8pm tonight. Welcome but they have been doing their utmost all day to turn themselves into what R2 should be. Earlier, a half hour slot on Francoise Hardy - recommended for those who use the I-Player and this afternoon, a programme in which three people chose their most meaningful song. Less successful - Rush from 1977 didn't exactly grab me.
                        Yep, listen to the sound of the media going into overload.... I'm sure someone can quote an appropriate line of Bobbery.

btw I only have 1 small piece of trivialese about BD - I knew the man who drove him some of the time when he toured UK. The car was an elderly SAAB (9.5 Aero) but the possibly fascinating fact (other than that Bob was perfectly pleasant, whereas his minder was a p*** in the a***) is that, at every gig Bob used to get dropped off a few hundred yards away as he always insisted on walking to the gig. Presumably round the back. er, that's it.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                          I hope Paul Simon doesn't mean that he's just a lightweight alongside Dylan. 'The Boxer' and 'Slip-slidin' away' are two of the heaviest, saddest, finest C20 songs I know.
                          I found this article from earlier this year comparing Paul and Bob's various approaches to dealing with heartbreak in song very interesting - it's from Laura Barton's Hail Haill Rock'n'roll column in the Guardian.
                          Bob Dylan's take on heartbreak is rooted in physical pain – but Paul Simon's need for spiritual solace pulls him on through
                          Last edited by johncorrigan; 21-05-11, 17:49. Reason: semantics; just semantics!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

how much of the interest in Dylan is to do with the lyrics of the songs ? not the music ................I'm not a great fan myself but do sometimes find the whole way that music has become (was it ever not ? ) so entangled with the word that when people say they like a particular songwriter they are often more interested in the words than the sound of the thing ............

Geeky saab moment (why do so many musicians drive these ?)
                            whats a
                            "The car was an elderly SAAB (9.5 Aero) " surely you mean a V4 95 (that was the first car i had) the estate version of the 96 ?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              how much of the interest in Dylan is to do with the lyrics of the songs ? not the music ................I'm not a great fan myself but do sometimes find the whole way that music has become (was it ever not ? ) so entangled with the word that when people say they like a particular songwriter they are often more interested in the words than the sound of the thing ............

Geeky saab moment (why do so many musicians drive these ?)
                              whats a
                              "The car was an elderly SAAB (9.5 Aero) " surely you mean a V4 95 (that was the first car i had) the estate version of the 96 ?
                              Mr GG, I think the great thing about Bob is that he never stood still - he's kept on moving, reflecting whatever was going on with him at any time - the changeling. So yes sometimes it's the words - there is a poetic element to him; but sometimes it's the bands that he chose (or that happened) - a lot of what is great about 'Highway 61 Revisited' or 'Blonde on Blonde' is not just the songs, but is the wonderful band and his ability to pull that together. Then sometimes he seems to create an atmosphere - John Wesley Harding has a feeling about it that no other has; but so has 'Blood on the Tracks' or 'Love and Theft'. It always seems like when he's at his best he's been in a zone and gives me a glimpse of something else...and sometimes I might even think I've got the hang of what he's saying....and sometimes I'm not that bothered. I just love listening to his energy.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

yes I get all of that
                                BUT

How much is to do with SOUND as opposed to TEXT ?

Comment

Working...
                                X